Who loses on packages lost in shipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
There is a discussion going on in the Group Buy Thread where shipping has come up and a lot of opinions have been expressed.

I would like to ask these questions.

If you buy something from my website and it does not get delivered for any reason. Who do you think is responsible for the loss.?

If you buy something from Amazon and it is not delivered for any reason. Who do you think is responsible for the loss.

Amazon uses a number of options sort of slectable by the buyer.

I primarily use USPS and the buyer has no choice unless it is a very expensive order that might be overweight for Priority Mail.

Before you answer. No I know the real answer..I am looking for what you think. I am not interest in what you think is right or wrong. Just who you think bears the loss.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HamTurns

I think in most cases the vendor burdens the cost of not only replacing the item purchased and not delivered, but also the shipping cost of the item that wasn't delivered.

Happy turning
Tom

hanau

I think it should fall on the delivery company.
As a seller I would add the cost of insurance as a option any letthe buyer choose iinsured it or not.

Then if I ship it then it gets lost then it's them and delivery company.

Post office has $50, fed ex and Ups have $100 free insurance. If the total is more than that the buyer should have to choose additional insurance or not.

Last edited:

tjseagrove

As a buyer, I believe that if I send money to a company to deliver something to me, once it arrives, the transaction is complete.

Insurance should just be part of the shipping cost.

Never trust a shipping company.

I also believe, even if insured, it is the shipper that needs to make a claim against the insurance for lost or damaged packages.

I have never had anything lost from Amazon and am sure if it doesn't show up, they will just ship another one.

Bottom line, shipper bears the burden. That is what insurance is for and should just be a part of the shipping charge.

Last thought, anything I ever ordered from you always came quickly and it perfect condition!! :good::good:

Tom

Karl_99

Typically, the liability shifts to the buyer after it leaves the seller's dock unless there is a clear agreement about the seller being responsible to the buyer's dock/ door.

As a seller, I ship priority mail and pay additional insurance for MY piece of mind. It is worth the extra to me to know that the package is traceable and insured.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Typically, the liability shifts to the buyer after it leaves the seller's dock unless there is a clear agreement about the seller being responsible to the buyer's dock/ door.

As a seller, I ship priority mail and pay additional insurance for MY piece of mind. It is worth the extra to me to know that the package is traceable and insured.
It's good that you insure because if you receive payment by way of PayPal or Credit Card you are responsible whether insured or not. Commercial purchases by business are often FOB at the shipper's dock but that is not true for most retail purchases unless they have to be shipped by truck.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I think in most cases the vendor burdens the cost of not only replacing the item purchased and not delivered, but also the shipping cost of the item that wasn't delivered.

Happy turning
Tom
You are right...but depending on the item the seller may issue a refund rather than replacement - This is usually a seller option rarely used. i.e. One of a Kind items lost will result in refund.

hcpens

During the Feb Group buy, my part was more than the USPS 50 so to help protect the GB coordinator I opted for additional insurance. So in this case, I would ask the GBC to start a tracer on the package from their end as the seller and let USPS do their tracking to show prof of delivery. I would not ask the seller to replace as he has a valid tracking number, proving that the shipping agent received the box.

If delivered and not signed for and lost/stolen, then that would fall on me as the receiving agent for not requiring a signature at the delivery.

Damaged or incorrect items would fall on the seller, for not doing their due diligent in packing and/or inventory of the shipped box.

That's my two cents.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
During the Feb Group buy, my part was more than the USPS 50 so to help protect the GB coordinator I opted for additional insurance. So in this case, I would ask the GBC to start a tracer on the package from their end as the seller and let USPS do their tracking to show prof of delivery. I would not ask the seller to replace as he has a valid tracking number, proving that the shipping agent received the box.

If delivered and not signed for and lost/stolen, then that would fall on me as the receiving agent for not requiring a signature at the delivery.

Damaged or incorrect items would fall on the seller, for not doing their due diligent in packing and/or inventory of the shipped box.

That's my two cents.
The question is not concerned with Group buys. You do not make group buye from either Amazon or me. However, If you want to pay for additional insurance that is surely up to you and as you said you are protecting the coordinator by doing so. You are being a nice guy and trusting that the shipper will actually spend the money you sent on insurance.

That being said, ONLY the seller can actually insure the package. You as a buyer can't buy insurance even if you want to.

Additionally, ONLY the shipper can require signature delivery and the shipper must pay for that too.

How claims are handled probably depends on the carrier. USPS has different methods for lost, damaged goods in the package, and wrong items received.

For lost items, a buyer will need cooperation from the shipper to collect and it's questionable if the buyer should even bother file a claim since the shipper will have virtually all of the information needed to file one.

Damaged in shipment items the buyer can file the claim but will need to get a bunch of information from the shipper.

Most businesses, my own included, never ask the buyer to pay for insurance because we get most of our payments from credit cards or PayPal and both will tell you that the items shipped are the sellers responsibility until delivered. So if the item is insured the buyer will never know. If it's lost the buyer tells me and I track it. After enough time to be relatively sure it's lost I will replace it or process a refund.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

That's my two cents.
Sorry I replied to this already.

Top Bottom