SMALLER DIAMETER TUBES IN LE ROI/LE ROI ELEGANT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am considering reducing the diameter of the tubes on some of my Le Roi/Le Roi Elegant component sets while keeping the overall diameter of the completed pens the same as current.

What this would do is allow for thicker barrel material (less taken off during turning/finishing) which I think will reduce the number of tubes damaged or ruined while turning. I think there would be a very small increase in weight. Currently measuring an unfinished component set vs a finished pen I found .1 oz difference in weight on my postal scale. Even if that doubled it would hardly be noticeable.

It does mean the tubes would not be interchangeable and the press fit components would not be interchangeable. Transmissions probably could be but might not be either.

Current tubes are 27/64th and I am thinking of going to perhaps 23/64th or 3/8th in stead.

If I decide to try this, would you be likely to try the sets - they would likely be in an existing plating.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
While I like the idea, I probably wouldn't buy any of the new style until I used up my stock of old style pens just to be sure that I didn't mix them up. Personally, I haven't had any blowout problems due to thin material near the bushings, but now that I mention it, I probably will tonight.

walshjp17

I'd give them a shot as well. You might want to look into offering a few at a *beta testing* price and have a few of the folks here try them out first.

SteveG

I am generally in favor of smaller tubes, with the exception of the very large desk pens (Emp, Majestic, etc.). So this is something I woful try and use.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I personally have never had an issue with the current permutations of the Sierra kit, and I'd be leery about having more similar 'looking' kits on hand, which solve a problem I don't have, (but bring up other issues, like weight of the final pen and needing new bushings/tooling).

I find the Sierra too heavy as it is, so I don't think a thicker barrel would be something I'd be interested in.

Not trying to rain on your parade - just some constructive feedback! :)

hard hat

This design change would open up a lot of possibilities for tube on casting. Even going as small as an 8mm tube like the slim pro but using end fittings in the .45-.55 range would open up a whole new world.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I personally have never had an issue with the current permutations of the Sierra kit, and I'd be leery about having more similar 'looking' kits on hand, which solve a problem I don't have, (but bring up other issues, like weight of the final pen and needing new bushings/tooling).

I find the Sierra too heavy as it is, so I don't think a thicker barrel would be something I'd be interested in.

Not trying to rain on your parade - just some constructive feedback! :)
Not my parade Andrew, I just asked a question, there isn't any wrong answer.

southernclay

How about adding to the diameter of the bushings instead? Does create one more set of bushings but there are so many blanks already being created for the 27/64" tube that it would be better to be able to have those readily available to your product. I do the like the idea of having more material though.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How about adding to the diameter of the bushings instead? Does create one more set of bushings but there are so many blanks already being created for the 27/64" tube that it would be better to be able to have those readily available to your product. I do the like the idea of having more material though.
I think that would just make the barrel bigger than the tip and clip wouldn't it? If you want that all you need to do now is leave the barrel a little proud of the bushings.

The bushings are sized for a smooth transition from barrel to tip or clip/finial.

jsolie

I like the idea. It would also provide more "meat" on slimmer blanks that might not be able to withstand the drilling of a 27/64ths hole.

Top Bottom