Real RB/FP Convertible

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The SPW Caballero is a great looking pen which is truly easily convertible from Roller Ball to Fountain Pen (or visa-versa) in seconds. You have that Fountain Pen on Display and a customers says "if only this were a Roller Ball I'd buy it" You have a sale in a few seconds you have the roller ball ready for the customer to take....and also use with either an ink converter or ink cartridge. And this beauty is priced lower than its rivals.

Cabballero Convertible 11-8-2015 12-11-24 PM 2014x2782 11-8-2015 12-11-24 PM 2014x2782.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Leroy, that looks pretty cool with the black and contrasting yellow. If you use a converter, do you need to remove the spring?.

BTW, you need to invest in a camera instead of using your scanner:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
No you don't have to remove the spring when using the converter I provide but you might have to if you use a little different style. The one I use twists to load so it just depresses the spring as if it was a roller ball refill. I have a camera but right now I don't have a spot to set it up to take pictures with it. This winter I hope to get that resolved.EDIT IN: I should mention that in the instructions for making a conversion we do tell people to remove the spring with the roller ball refill.
Leroy, that looks pretty cool with the black and contrasting yellow. If you use a converter, do you need to remove the spring?.

BTW, you need to invest in a camera instead of using your scanner:biggrin:

Last edited:

Mr Vic

Leroy, do you sell them as a conversion kit with both or purchase the Rollerball kit and then add a fountain Pen Nib set of the appropriate plating to match?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Leroy, do you sell them as a conversion kit with both or purchase the Rollerball kit and then add a fountain Pen Nib set of the appropriate plating to match?
Right now I sell them as roller ball kits - but the Thanksgiving special has the Rhodium/black chrome listed with components for both RB and FP.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What size is the fon end assembly? How about he cap threads?
I am asking the manufacturer about the cap threads but they are supposed to be interchangeable with the Jr Gent 1.

I am having a discussion with the manufacturer regarding the nib size (I assume that's what you are asking about when you said front end). The manufacturer says it is "wider" but it is definitely not a number six. I think the back end of the nib where the ink enters is wider but the nib tip is about the same as a #5 maybe marginally wider. They seem to me to write smoother than the older nibs did.

And Ed, I hope you noted that I answered your questions.

Last edited:

edstreet

I am asking the manufacturer about the cap threads but they are supposed to be interchangeable with the Jr Gent 1.

I am having a discussion with the manufacturer regarding the nib size (I assume that's what you are asking about when you said front end). The manufacturer says it is "wider" but it is definitely not a number six. I think the back end of the nib where the ink enters is wider but the nib tip is about the same as a #5 maybe marginally wider. They seem to me to write smoother than the older nibs did.

Noted, I will have to return the favor to.

With out knowing dimension or seeing the nib its hard to tell what it is. #5, #5.5, #35, #8 etc.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

With out knowing dimension or seeing the nib its hard to tell what it is. #5, #5.5, #35, #8 etc.
I am far from expert on nibs. I'll press the manufacturer a little and see what they say....it is two tone gold and silver colored and as I said looking at it against a #5 it is wider where the ink enters and it looks to me like it does not have as much arch as the #5. The writing seems smoother than the #5 but neither has been "tuned" both being used untouched "out of the box". I'll also push them a little about where it is made, but I have an idea they make their own, they are a huge pen manufacturer.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I am far from expert on nibs. I'll press the manufacturer a little and see what they say....it is two tone gold and silver colored and as I said looking at it against a #5 it is wider where the ink enters and it looks to me like it does not have as much arch as the #5. The writing seems smoother than the #5 but neither has been "tuned" both being used untouched "out of the box". I'll also push them a little about where it is made, but I have an idea they make their own, they are a huge pen manufacturer.
The manufacturer says that the male thread on the couplers are M9.5X0.75 four-head screw threads. They call the nib just SIZE B. I'll ask for their production drawings to get the dimensions.

Last edited:

edstreet

Worth noting is the nib sizes are not universal. It may be compatible with the standard #5.5 or #6 from kits but they may be something else. The other thing worthy of note is who/where makes the nib.

edstreet

The manufacturer says that the male thread on the couplers are M9.5X0.75 four-head screw threads. They call the nib just SIZE B. I'll ask for their production drawings to get the dimensions.

Hmmmm.

Caballero = M9.5 x 0.75 quad.
Sedona = M9.65 x 0.8 quad with a controlled minor.

The Sedona is from measurements taken. This makes me wonder if the screw threads are compatible with each other.

FYI 0.75 = 33.87 TPI and 0.8 = 31.75TPI

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Hmmmm.

Caballero = M9.5 x 0.75 quad.
Sedona = M9.65 x 0.8 quad with a controlled minor.

The Sedona is from measurements taken. This makes me wonder if the screw threads are compatible with each other.

FYI 0.75 = 33.87 TPI and 0.8 = 31.75TPI
The best they'll do on the nib is send a sample...I suspect they buy them and don't have mfg. drawings.

Top Bottom