Question on the Classic Vintage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sandy H.

Smitty,

I put together my first pen in a few months tonight and it was one of your Classic Vintage kits. Even though they are convertible, I have always used the rollerball refill and tonight I decided to go for it and do the fountain. Since it takes about 20 seconds, no big thing, but thanks for helping me make my first fountain pen!

Anyway, my question is about the brass tube and spring. . . I had always assumed they were used for the fountain pen part and not the rollerball, but tonight they didn't seem to matter either.

What am I missing?!?!?! My rollerball versions work fine without the spring and brass tube and the fountain pen seems to work fine too. I'm just confused and don't know what I've missed.

Thanks!

Sandy.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty,

I put together my first pen in a few months tonight and it was one of your Classic Vintage kits. Even though they are convertible, I have always used the rollerball refill and tonight I decided to go for it and do the fountain. Since it takes about 20 seconds, no big thing, but thanks for helping me make my first fountain pen!

Anyway, my question is about the brass tube and spring. . . I had always assumed they were used for the fountain pen part and not the rollerball, but tonight they didn't seem to matter either.

What am I missing?!?!?! My rollerball versions work fine without the spring and brass tube and the fountain pen seems to work fine too. I'm just confused and don't know what I've missed.

Thanks!

Sandy.
Well now....The spring is supposed to be used in the lower cap on the rollerball rollerball. I'm a bit surprised myself that they work without the spring. I'd put it in anyway.

The small extra tube used to be used in place of the spring on Fountain Pens when they were provided with ink converters rather than cartridges. That need disappeared but for whatever reason. The makers left the tube in the kit specs but today it has no use. It's just too much bother for me to remove them.

Sandy H.

OK. When I build them the 888 refill seems to sit fine, but I'll put a spring in and see if I notice anything. The brass tubes have made their way into other hobby projects for me, so I'm glad they're not needed anymore. . . :)

I did take the fountain pen to work today and used it during one of the million meetings. Note to self: Make sure the nib isn't sitting askew upside down on your note pad for a half hour. . . It leaves a really big and deep spot. . .

I did enjoy using the fountain pen and 3 people tried it (without asking to boot, so no pressure by me).

Thanks for your kits and support, Smitty!!!!

Sandy.

Top Bottom