NO SHIPPING ON 1/23/2016

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
What happened to -
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

:eek::rolleyes::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
That's a quote from Herodotus' Histories....I don't recall what he was writing about, but it might have been the Persian courier system? Regardless, I think it's an aspiration, rather than a creed, for the modern US post office!
I have never been curious about it's origin but I know it has been used consistently throughout my life time to refer to the US Mail delivery. I also never would have completely defended it but while they might make mistakes, it is rare that they miss a delivery day.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How many people remember "mail trains" and "mail cars" and the maill getting held out and caught on a post at the side of the track or tossed off the train as it passed the station? Now and then when they tossed it, the bag would get sucked under the train and get run over...that usually wound up getting the mail either destroyed or scattered .... major job to round up what could be salvaged.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
That's a quote from Herodotus' Histories....I don't recall what he was writing about, but it might have been the Persian courier system? Regardless, I think it's an aspiration, rather than a creed, for the modern US post office!
Although that's the origin, I was referring to it's inscription on the Farley Post Office Building. According to Wikipedia -

The James A. Farley Post Office Building is the main United States Postal Service building in New York City. Its ZIP code designation is 10001. Built in 1912, the building is famous for bearing the inscription: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Formerly the General Post Office Building, it was officially renamed in 1982

TonyL

Walked by it many times while working in NYC. I thought it was just a big post office. Thanks for researching.

Top Bottom