Jr Gent Fix?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alankulwicki7

Hey Smitty,
I have a couple of Jr Gent 1's where the threads in the cap got pushed in. One of them was during assembly (my fault) but the other happened in a completed pen.
I thought I saw a fix for it on IAP but can't find the thread.

I assume I have to disassemble the pen to fix it but is there a way to fix this without taking the pen apart?

Also, is there anything that I can do before assembly to prevent this?

I hope it's OK but I thought I would post in the forum so other members can learn from my mistake!
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

You can knock out the cap and put a small drop of glue there to hold the black plastic insert inplace. Since it has moved there is little that can be done and the center band may need to be removed as well. That plastic insert can get mangled very easy.

If you do end up removing both cap and center band then add something that would be easy to remove down the road, i.e. repair. High strength bonding agents would not be suitable for that joint as you have to keep in mind you will have to remove it and change things as needed so make your job easy down the road.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The plastic threads in the centerband are replaceable and I stock replacements. I also have some (Gold Tn mostly) centerband replacements. The threads are glued into the centerband. If you can get the centerband out without damage it is an easy fix. You need to knock out the cap then knock out the centerband, replace the threads and put it back together.

It might be possible to get the threads back in place without removing the centerband but I've never done it so I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else has?

Be sure when you glue in the new threads that you do not get glue in the threads themselves...it can be cleaned out after assembly but it isn't easy.

alankulwicki7

Thanks for the advice. I ruined one center band trying to get it out so I just used on from another kit. We'll see what happens when I try disassembling this other pen.
I'll have to remember to order a couple extras on my next order....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom