Caballero - clearing something up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have often seen here and other places that the black threads seen on Jr. Gent 1 kits are plastic. This is not the case on our Caballero's the black threads are metal plated with black chrome the only plastic on our kits is the insert in the cap with the female threads. That is plastic for the same reason it is plastic on much more expensive kits. Plastic on metal holds better and metal on metal results in premature thread wear.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

Threads can be a killer! I made a sweet Eagle last weekend, and I am not fond of the thread slop, but I do understand how stainless steel works. I don't know that a customer would feel the same way about the cap moving around while its screwed all the way on.

I know that's off topic (and I am NOT complaining about Constant's work), but thanks for sharing this post regarding the materials of threads.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't want this thread to become a general discussion on thread design or quality..... I wanted only to clear up a common misconception people have specifically about Caballero kits. No plastic on the Caballero kits. I can't speak for all Jr Gent 1 styles but I can Caballeros.

toddlajoie

I have certainly not encountered EVERY pen kit out there, but I have NOT encountered any that had plastic MALE threads. I would assume that anyone discussing plastic threads on any kit was talking about the female threads.

The few kits I have tried with metal threads for both male and female sides generally did not feel good or close and hold securely (tho I will admit to not having tried the Stainless Steel kits...)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have certainly not encountered EVERY pen kit out there, but I have NOT encountered any that had plastic MALE threads. I would assume that anyone discussing plastic threads on any kit was talking about the female threads.

The few kits I have tried with metal threads for both male and female sides generally did not feel good or close and hold securely (tho I will admit to not having tried the Stainless Steel kits...)
I don't know what is actually out there, that doesn't matter....I have seen the black threads on Jr Gent 1 referred to as plastic.

Dale Allen

No plastic on the Caballero kits.

This is most interesting. All of the kits I have used that are the rollerball 2-piece have metal male threads and plastic, nylon I think, internal threads. Some metal is plated, some painted.
However, I don't see how the claim can be made as above and then state that the internal threads are plastic!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
No plastic on the Caballero kits.

This is most interesting. All of the kits I have used that are the rollerball 2-piece have metal male threads and plastic, nylon I think, internal threads. Some metal is plated, some painted.
However, I don't see how the claim can be made as above and then state that the internal threads are plastic!
Read the OP to see what I was talking about.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Plastic is not bad per se

I say this because a lot of custom made kitless pens made by members here are made with plastic threads.

This thread addresses only the Caballero - because right now it is the only kit I sell that has black male threads.

Those who say they have not seen any roller ball pen or fountain pen with plastic male threads, just haven't seen enough of them yet. I know some Ligero pen kits have plastic male threads...I'm sure there are others in that class. The use of plastic is not necessarily to make the pen cheaper....It's used to make the pen lighter, a big pen that some people will like because it is light weight. They are found in both Chinese and Taiwanese made kits.

Top Bottom