BETA TEST RESULTS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
THE BETA TEST RESULTS HAVE BEEN COMING IN AND THE GENERAL CONSENSES HAS BEEN THAT FOLKS ARE HAPPY WITH THE SMALLER TUBES. SOME HAVE INDICATED THAT IT DOES MAKE FOR EASIER TURNING NEAR THE ENDS OF THE TUBE.

AS A RESULT I WILL BE INTRODUCING THE LE ROI V2 (VERSION 2) BEGINNING WITH CHROME/BLACK CHROME FINISH. OTHER FINISHES WILL BE OFFERED AS I RESTOCK. PRICING WILL BE THE SAME AS THE CURRENT VERSIONS.

THE FIRST KITS WILL BE ARRIVING WITH THE JR GENT 1 CHROME PREPRODS.

I AM NOT MAKING A PREPROD OFFER BUT WILL GIVE A SMALL DISCOUNT IF ANYONE WANTS TO MAKE AN EARLY ORDER. YOU CAN PM IF YOU WANT TO ORDER EARLY. THE BASE PRICE FOR SMITTY'S CLUB MEMBERS IS $4.65 WITH NO REFILL $5.00 WITH STOCK REFILL.

kovalcik

Wanted to post my results. I was hoping to get pictures, but it has not worked out.

Last weekend I turned 4 blanks: Redwood Burl, Mesquite Burl, Inlace acrylister, and a translucent poly resin.

l did not back paint the plastic blanks, just to see what they looked like with the extra material. The poly resin blank was way too translucent even with the extra material. I did not even assemble it. I will turn that off and reuse the tube. The inlace was a bit more opaque and only a little of the tube was visible. I assembled it and will give it away. I will still back paint these kits in the future. That is what I expected but I wanted to see how the thicker barrel affected things.

The next thing I was interested in was turning finicky blanks, hence the inlace and the burls. I turned them using a roughing gouge and skew, the same as I would a straight grain blank or a poly resin blank with no extra precautions. All three turned beautifully with no chip out. I think the extra material had a lot to do with this.

I am very happy with the new kits. Now I need to get my pictures posted and choose one to send to Smitty.

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom