Would you buy good casting wood pieces...? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080Wayne View Post
Guess I should get a couple pieces for pepper mills as well , seeing as how they are from a peppercorn tree , about 2 1/2 square by 8-9 inch should do . Am I correct in thinking that these are from the S American peppercorn tree , which has become a weed in Australia ?

Don`t worry about non-uniformity of the voids in the blank . Only once have I found a 1 1/2 inch plank with insect holes that very uniform throughout . I think a cylindrical object looks best when it has a variety of features around it - the thrill of the unexpected , because you can`t see the other side until you turn it around .

Wayne
Yes, you are correct Wayne.

Do you want some of these pig pieces in the spalted stuff or with the holes? (possible each piece will a combination of both...!)

Cheers
George
Combination would be great George , if possible .
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-17-2016, 06:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Guess I should get a couple pieces for pepper mills as well , seeing as how they are from a peppercorn tree , about 2 1/2 square by 8-9 inch should do . Am I correct in thinking that these are from the S American peppercorn tree , which has become a weed in Australia ?

Don`t worry about non-uniformity of the voids in the blank . Only once have I found a 1 1/2 inch plank with insect holes that very uniform throughout . I think a cylindrical object looks best when it has a variety of features around it - the thrill of the unexpected , because you can`t see the other side until you turn it around .

Wayne
Yes, you are correct Wayne.

Do you want some of these pig pieces in the spalted stuff or with the holes? (possible each piece will a combination of both...!)

Cheers
George
Combination would be great George , if possible .
Got 4 pairs cut and in the oven...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 3

The pic of the regular peppercorn burl pieces looks good too. This could be expensive...! I am anxious to see the red gum pieces too, along with the other types.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
The pic of the regular peppercorn burl pieces looks good too. This could be expensive...! I am anxious to see the red gum pieces too, along with the other types.
Don't worry they are coming...!

This evening I took from the oven after 24 hours drying, only the pen blanks cast pieces, they did dry faster because of all the holes and the sizes they were cut at, all other are still there + the bigger blanks for Wayne.

So, I now could work out how many pieces approx, I can put in a 1kg box and also on the 2kg box, I can gi bigger it necessary.

I have attached the pics I took, they show a 1kg box filled to limit and the same for the double size box with 2kg of these same cast blanks.

The 1 kg box I can fit between 35 and 40 pieces and on the 2kg one, about 75 to 80 pieces, they are all different and some weight more than others.

So, this is only for the Peppercorn burl cast pieces and the costs are as follow;

* 1kg box with Peppercorn burl cast pieces only, AU$30.00 + AU$24.00 shipping to overseas destinations.

* 2kg box with Peppercorn burl cast pieces only, AU$60.00 + AU$40.00

* For within Australia, the price per kilo is the same at $30.00 + freight that will be $9.00 for a 500gr Postal bag and $14.00 for a 3kg Postal bag, a 5kg postal bag will cost $19.00

Prices for the other wood species prepared as pen blanks casting trimmed pieces, I will work out very soon, some of those species are heavier so, I need to work out a price that will balance their extra weight compared to the Peppercorn and allow a similar number of pieces for the same value I have given above.

Tomorrow, I will be able to weight and box the full size pen blanks from the Peppercorn burl those with holes and those spalted no holes, I hope to be able to maintain the AU$30.00 per kilo.

Have a look at the pics and remember that, I can make a mix package with any of the wood species I will make available to you guys, that will be no problem...!

This should start to give you guys a very good idea of what it will cost...!

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  

Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

That 2KG mixed box is tempting! It would be cool to have a large assortment of casting pieces (probably around 40) and then the rest filled with mixed species of burls including red gum, peppercorn, olive root burl or whatever you find interesting and surplus that you were thinking of including with this deal.

I like the looks of the peppercorn burl blanks and I have never done olive root burl or red gum, so it makes sense to me to go for the gusto and get a large box! You only live once!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #26 (permalink)

Spalted with no holes, I think for the peppercorn burl. Maybe a few with holes that I could cast, but sometimes I don't like the looks of the wood with holes or anything that looks like banksia pods. Kinda weird to me!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

Thumbs up Here we go...!

OK folks, I have most of the stuff done for you guys to pick and decided quantities.

I may add a latter stage another couple of casting tree species pieces such as the Vine, Truffle etc. but for now, this will do.

All blanks are identified with the prices included, for a mix match of pen castings pieces, you select how many pieces you want from each, as a couple of pics attached demonstrated, each bundle of 6 pen casting pieces weight between 200gr and 250gr, depending of the wood species so, the total number of pieces requested may require a slight adjustment in numbers, to keep the weights withing the 250gr increments, including the packaging stuff required.

I believe, you guys have everything you need to make your selection and order, thanks...!

Have fun...!

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg   005.jpg  

006.jpg   007.jpg   008.jpg   010.jpg   011.jpg  

012.jpg   013.jpg   014.jpg   015.jpg   016.jpg  

017.jpg   018.jpg   019.jpg   020.jpg   021.jpg  

022.jpg   023.jpg   024.jpg   025.jpg   026.jpg  

027.jpg   029.jpg   030.jpg   031.jpg   032.jpg  

033.jpg   035.jpg   036.jpg   038.jpg   040.jpg  

041.jpg   042.jpg   044.jpg   045.jpg   051.jpg  

Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #28 (permalink)

I'll let you know shortly!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
I'll let you know shortly!
Don't hurry, I'm going to bed and rest these old bones, I have been up since 5:00am.

I will check sometime tomorrow...!

Cheers
George

Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 34

All of the 4x1 1/2 pairs , George
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads