Would you buy good casting wood pieces...? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Old 06-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Prices, Prices?? Need wood, have wood BUT ALWAYS need more wood
hcpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080Wayne View Post
Could take 4 pieces 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 square , 3-4 in long , with holes (the more the better) or spalt , soft is fine , for S&P shakers
Hi Wayne,

Sure mate but only 3 or 4" long? those would be some of the smaller S&P I've seen for some time...!

Would you like 2 pairs one with holes one spalted..?

If you can stabilize it yourself it would be a waste of money to pay that much more just in freight/shipping, this is fairly light weight stuff but after stabilized is a very different thing altogether, as you would expect, the spalted stuff is the one that loves Cactus Juice, drinks it like a Camel...!

I will let you know when I got them cut...!

Cheers
George
3-4 inch is fine George , these are for S&P shakers , not grinders . The insert is less than 2 inches long . One set spalt and one not would be good . Don`t worry if both pieces in a pair aren`t the same length . I usually make one a bit shorter than the other .

I am totally familiar with the stabilization camel , and allow him to drink as I see fit .

Let me know shipping . May order more if not too bad .

Wayne
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcpens View Post
Prices, Prices?? Need wood, have wood BUT ALWAYS need more wood
Hi mate,

Prices are coming soon, don't worry.

At the moment, I have the oven full of cut Peppercorn burl to dry all the water out, since I processed the bigger chunks from the piece I brought home, they were very wet from the rain and these last few days the weather has been pretty nasty to dry anything, in fact it rained almost all day today, light constant rain.

The pieces I had already cut and shown in my last pics, still need drying and today, I processed a few more of the chunks I had cut so, I put them all in the oven and should be ok tomorrow night.

If we were in Summer here, the water in the burl would dry quick but we are in Winter mode so, everything takes much longer to air dry.

I already had some pieces dry from last week but they are a lot bigger pieces and I want to make sure, you guys get as many pieces as possible for the weight I will charge, sending them wet, you would pay the same for half of the pieces and I don't want that, I may charge a few dollars more per kilo for the electricity I'm using drying them but in the end, you will be still far ahead, in time it will dry naturally but not for some months...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/

Last edited by robutacion; 06-16-2016 at 10:13 PM.
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Could take 4 pieces 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 square , 3-4 in long , with holes (the more the better) or spalt , soft is fine , for S&P shakers
Hi Wayne,

Sure mate but only 3 or 4" long? those would be some of the smaller S&P I've seen for some time...!

Would you like 2 pairs one with holes one spalted..?

If you can stabilize it yourself it would be a waste of money to pay that much more just in freight/shipping, this is fairly light weight stuff but after stabilized is a very different thing altogether, as you would expect, the spalted stuff is the one that loves Cactus Juice, drinks it like a Camel...!

I will let you know when I got them cut...!

Cheers
George
3-4 inch is fine George , these are for S&P shakers , not grinders . The insert is less than 2 inches long . One set spalt and one not would be good . Don`t worry if both pieces in a pair aren`t the same length . I usually make one a bit shorter than the other .

I am totally familiar with the stabilization camel , and allow him to drink as I see fit .

Let me know shipping . May order more if not too bad .

Wayne
G'day Wayne,

This evening I cut a bunch of blanks of approx. 1" 1/2 square x 4", a few a little less but I tried to make them up in pairs from both of the burl hollowed edges and the spalted wood. They were the wettest pieces, particularly the spalted ones so, and I mention in my previous post, I have them all in the oven for and overnight and possible an old day "cooking"

Is not easy to get pieces 1" 1/2 square x 4" with the hollowing all thought the pieces, most of the burl hollowing happen/is within 1" or so from the edge, some eyes can go deeper but they go in clusters as the bowl shown on this thread shows well, the eyes formations after a certain depth are very irregular but, you have beautiful pieces in these, you take how many you want...!

I'm expecting 1kg of dry Peppercorn burl to fill a good size box.

As for shipping, that is the simple part and goes like this. Note that Australia Post has increased the International shipping prices to;

* 500gr weight = AU$16.00 shipping only
* 750gr " = AU$20.00 " "
* 1kg " = AU$24.00 " "
* 1.25kg " = AU$28.00 " "
* 1.5kg " = AU$32.00 " "

...And so on, each 250gr increment after the firts 250gr, which cost now AU$12.00 instead of the AU$10.00 previously, it will cost approx AU$4.00 and I say approx. because the values are not ending in exact dollars but a few cents either way.

Cheers
George

Last edited by robutacion; 06-16-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
Yeah mate, I'm glad I put a smile on you...!

Today I cut a few more of the pen blanks casting pieces and cleaned up the bark on every piece I could that was it that first box, some it come out easy some need some "bashing" and some ain't barge so, those will be for the Aussie members that may be interested, the bark on them is not a problem then.

This doesn't mean that, if any of you want them with bark, I can send them but, I will not be responsible if Customs don't let them in into the Country, your risk.

I wanted to take some pics of the Colonial Red Gum pieces and some others but, I never had the chance today, I have a bunch of boxes that have to come out first into the open but not when is raining, no sir...!

Will see what happens tomorrow.

I leave you with a pic of the third box of the Peppercorn burl that I didn't show the other day and they are all from the very spalted (no holes) pen blanks I cut to dry, these will make some stunning blanks stabilized either in clear Juice or with some dyes...! These are also in the oven so that I can weight them dry and start to get things organized...!

Nearly there...!

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
002c.jpg  

Old 06-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Guess I should get a couple pieces for pepper mills as well , seeing as how they are from a peppercorn tree , about 2 1/2 square by 8-9 inch should do . Am I correct in thinking that these are from the S American peppercorn tree , which has become a weed in Australia ?

Don`t worry about non-uniformity of the voids in the blank . Only once have I found a 1 1/2 inch plank with insect holes that very uniform throughout . I think a cylindrical object looks best when it has a variety of features around it - the thrill of the unexpected , because you can`t see the other side until you turn it around .

Wayne
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 89

George I would love a box or 2 I have bought olive wood from you in the past and it was beautiful. Would not mind some of that root burl. Be interested in the one kg size box I understand postage will be 24 AUD more or less. Thanks for this amazing opportunity.

Ed
Edward Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-17-2016, 01:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Guess I should get a couple pieces for pepper mills as well , seeing as how they are from a peppercorn tree , about 2 1/2 square by 8-9 inch should do . Am I correct in thinking that these are from the S American peppercorn tree , which has become a weed in Australia ?

Don`t worry about non-uniformity of the voids in the blank . Only once have I found a 1 1/2 inch plank with insect holes that very uniform throughout . I think a cylindrical object looks best when it has a variety of features around it - the thrill of the unexpected , because you can`t see the other side until you turn it around .

Wayne
Yes, you are correct Wayne.

Do you want some of these big pieces in the spalted stuff or with the holes? (possible each piece will a combination of both...!)

Cheers
George

Last edited by robutacion; 12-17-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Cypher View Post
George I would love a box or 2 I have bought olive wood from you in the past and it was beautiful. Would not mind some of that root burl. Be interested in the one kg size box I understand postage will be 24 AUD more or less. Thanks for this amazing opportunity.

Ed
Yes mate, that is correct.

I believe you are referring to.pen blank pieces, right?

Cheers
George

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads