Would you buy good casting wood pieces...? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Question Would you buy good casting wood pieces...?

Hi Folks,

I have had this idea for a very long time because I produce a lot more of it than I ever will be able to use however, every suitable piece is trimmed to size and put aside so, nothing goes to waste.

In our days, casting wood blanks and other blanks has become a great experience for so many people, including a large number of IAP members that, took on the task with open arms, some are having better results than others many times due to lack of suitable woods/pieces for the task, which is most disappointing.

I have started casting long ago and since, I have helped many folks starting casting for themselves, I don't see it as working against me because it will compromise my sales of cast blanks, I don't really care about that, I prefer to stop casting when the interest is no longer there, on the other hand, there will always those that are just starting and that would never attempt to spend the money to invest on casting equipment and materials until they are satisfied that, they want to pursue pens and blanks making, for whatever the reasons.

With that said and as I mention previously, there are I believe a number of you that simply has no access of decent casting wood pieces and that is when I would come in, supplying those clean pieces.

I mean clean pieces because, freight/shipping is quite expensive and therefore I always aim to the best cost effective way to get things to you guys so, I would supply (unless otherwise requested) pieces of wood that have been trimmed to allow a general cast blank of 21 or 22mm square x 130mm long some of course, you can cast longer by adding multiple suitable pieces of the same wood.

These pieces are lightweight (most of them) so, I'm considering to put a few half a kilo to a 1kilo boxes together that can be filled with all of the same material or a mix.

Of some of the possibilities, 2 of which I have far too much of it are the beautiful Colonial Red gum burl pieces and the more recently acquired the Peppercorn tree burl, this is also a beautiful casting burl and is very light weight.

I have an issue with the Peppercorn burl I got, I don't have the space to put it all under cover and this burl has been considerably weathered from years in the weather. This is not all a negative as you may think, in fact, this burl is quite useless when green because it needs to dry to complete the nature cycle of natural decomposition which in this burl means, beautiful openings and lots of areas where the wood turn into a mass of spalted material.

Not all pieces require stabilizing but some of the most spalted, it would certainly improve its workability but having its harden before casting, as a matter of principle, I don't cast any wood without have it properly stabilized before end.

These boxes will be fairly inexpensive considering what you can do with them, there is no waste, every piece has been trimmed to general pen sizes.

I have plenty ready but not sorted or photographed, I started this thread after spending the last 2 afternoons processing one of the large pieces of the Peppercorn burl I brought home and to be fairly honest, the large percentage of these large pieces of old burl would be pretty much useless for anything else than small pieces like pen blanks, there is I believe about 10% of it that I can salvage as medium size bowl blanks, the biggest I processed to stabilized is about 1 cubic feet but most are smaller than that.

I will also turn a few items with this burl to show you how well it is suitable for many types of turning pieces .

I will leave you with some of the pics I already have of this burl, some raw, some stabilized, some soft and some hard some with no holes and some from the very outer part of the burl where all the natural holes are, after that, I will take some pics of the ready casting materials I have and post it here for you all to see and possibly make some orders.

Let me know if you are interested, I will provide prices very soon...!

Thank you,

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
013.jpg   012.jpg   031.jpg   032.jpg   038.jpg  

046.jpg   003.jpg   005.jpg   016.jpg   001.jpg  

004.jpg   007.jpg   008.jpg   009.jpg  

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Could take 4 pieces 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 square , 3-4 in long , with holes (the more the better) or spalt , soft is fine , for S&P shakers
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 57

George, a mate gave a piece of Peppercorn Burl last year. I turned a bowl and I was turning more air then timber. Off the tool it was nice and easy, sanded easily and finished with oil, then spray poly.
Attached Thumbnails
img_20150221_163510.jpg   img_20150221_163514.jpg   img_20150221_163518.jpg   img_20150221_163555.jpg  
Pat Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2016, 03:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080Wayne View Post
Could take 4 pieces 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 square , 3-4 in long , with holes (the more the better) or spalt , soft is fine , for S&P shakers
Hi Wayne,

Sure mate but only 3 or 4" long? those would be some of the smaller S&P I've seen for some time...!

Would you like 2 pairs one with holes one spalted..?

If you can stabilize it yourself it would be a waste of money to pay that much more just in freight/shipping, this is fairly light weight stuff but after stabilized is a very different thing altogether, as you would expect, the spalted stuff is the one that loves Cactus Juice, drinks it like a Camel...!

I will let you know when I got them cut...!

Cheers
George

Old 06-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Keefe View Post
George, a mate gave a piece of Peppercorn Burl last year. I turned a bowl and I was turning more air then timber. Off the tool it was nice and easy, sanded easily and finished with oil, then spray poly.
G'day Pat,

Thank you so much for showing us your Peppercorn burl bowl, it looks great, interestingly, you don't see many pieces turned with it and I wonder why?

I would guess that some of your troubles with small pieces breaking apart was when it started to get thin, would be no surprise because it is quite fragile turned thin so, I'm considering preparing a few pieces for me to turn some from the burl's edges where the natural holes are but also some from the spalted "meat" of the burl and trunk wood, because that is the only part that spalts, on the pieces that I will turn, I will first rough turn and then dry (water) and stabilize then re-turn again to finish, that would save me lots of Juice and also will strengthen the half turned pieces.

Cheers
George

Old 06-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I'm always looking for casting pieces. I would be in for a lot of it.

I prefer the pieces from the outer bark side that look like a "martian landscape" or something similar with lots of "craters" and "mountains".

Looking at the pictures above, the peppercorn burl pieces that aren't from the outer edge would also be neat and something I've never done before with all the voids.

I'm in!

Lewis
Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Also, I really don't have a preference for wood types since I have no experience with Australian wood. I have purchased wood from you, but I haven't gotten a chance to turn it yet!

I think the Colonial red gum is beautiful and would be nice with several colors and the peppercorn burl would be nice with different colors.

Also, I stabilize, so I would not need them pre-stabilized.

Lewis
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Lewis,

One of the things you and most other people overseas will notice is that, I'm not into the Aussie commercial valued burls that you see everywhere from Australia, what I offer are the less known species that I collect from around here that the big timbers guys don't bother with, no great commercial value and quite frankly I like it that way otherwise, it wouldn't be anything left.

So, I see no difficulty in arranging an assortment of various types of casting wood, including the Peppercorn burl, Colonial Red gum, Olive root, Platypus Gum burl, Cork wood, Bottle Brush root, and many other I have been gathering over the years.

I will have some more pics of what I have ready and some box sizes and respective prices, you then can make your selection and I will put it all together for you, no problem.

I believe you are after pen blank pieces, isn't it?

I took a couple of quick pics this afternoon of some boxes I had on hand, I'm reaching for many other boxes full of stuff and re-arrange the mess slightly so, you will see more types of casting woods...!

PS: You better start getting the nerve to turn some of my blanks you purchased, they won't bite you...!

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  

Last edited by robutacion; 06-15-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

George,

I love the pieces in box #1! That's the type I like. I think they have more personality than the olive root pieces. I would be in for a pretty good amount of that.

I would be interested in maybe five pieces of the box #2 type just to play with.

And yes, I want pen blank sizes. I am anxious to turn your wood, but I make them mostly by order and I haven't had any takers for wood lately, except for the wood and resin.

I'm glad you decided to do this!

Lewis
Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
George,

I love the pieces in box #1! That's the type I like. I think they have more personality than the olive root pieces. I would be in for a pretty good amount of that.

I would be interested in maybe five pieces of the box #2 type just to play with.

And yes, I want pen blank sizes. I am anxious to turn your wood, but I make them mostly by order and I haven't had any takers for wood lately, except for the wood and resin.

I'm glad you decided to do this!

Lewis
Well, that good mate because, those are the ones I have the most from my recent findings.

I will show you all the types I can sell, I can take close up pics from each type to help you guys deciding but certainly, this Peppercorn burl as lost of potential...!

Be patient, you will have plenty to choose from...!

Cheers
George

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads