What else I'm going to be asked to do/make...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi folks,

Today, I was relaxing in my computer room after wife and I caught a damn cold since last Thursday when all of a certain I get a call from a guy that buy regularly knife blanks from me, he is a great knife maker and a horseman.

He remembered me saying to him some time ago that, I have made blanks out of animal poo, namely kangaroo and Koala both made with its natural shape as it comes out of the animals rear end.

So, this fellow decided to give me a challenge and try to make knife blanks out of horse poo. He does not only wants them cast but he wants colour effects through it/them so, I will have a bucket full of horse poo, the next time he comes over.:eek:

It's going to be fun to dry/dehydrate it, colour, stabilise, cook it and then cast, one of the things that I will have to find a way to eliminate is any nasty smells that will result of actually turning or sanding this stuff and that may not be so easy...!

Anyway, I have though in start the process by sharing the project at hand in a very near future.

If anyone wants to use the idea and try to cast this type of blanks please, be my guest, I would love to see some "guts" among IAP casters...!:wink::biggrin:

I will update as it happens.

PS: I hope this won't turn out to be one of those $#!T ideas...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

Have fun with it George...one of the few times I'm glad I don't have smellavision!:biggrin:..actually don't mind horse poo...but pig poo's a different story:wink:

JohnU

I'm having a loss for words right now George. . . I think I'm just going to go ahead and solute you now. Not many would or could tackle this. You are THE MAN! (LOL)

1080Wayne

Well George , I`ve never tried horse poo , but you are welcome to my cow poo experience . My first suggestion would be to ask for material which has undergone a season or two or three or four of weathering . That will remove the odour and add some insect and possibly fungal interest . In my area (18 inch precip/yr , +- 40C) , I prefer a full year . Your decomposition rate may be faster . Weathering will change the final colour a bit .

I have always just stabilized with multiple applications of thin CA as I went about turning . However my last batch I stabilized with Cactus juice . I neglected to record the pre-stabilization weight , but I think it was in the 25-30 gm range . The stabilized weight was 125 gm , so beware !

I didn`t get great void filling with Alumilite at 40 psi . I added a touch of white mica pigment to give it a bit of sparkle , which turned out a bit gray . Not bad looking , but not quite what I was aiming for . Think I will try for some ruby colour the next batch .

They are one of my most popular items . The first one went to a farmer friend who gave it to his priest . The president of a religious college bought one for herself before Christmas . The CEO of a community economic development organization was thrilled to be given one by a conference organizer , who likes to give them to her principal speakers . I had thought the main customer base would be ranchers/farmers . I was wrong . I guess they appeal to people with a quirky sense of humour .

Mr Vic

You can also drop the dried horse apples in a blender or crumble up by hand. The same way you crumble up shredded wheat. You'll have leafy powder that will look much like long leaf tea which you can then blend with resin and caste. I've thought about making a blank from an alfalfa cube. About the same look and consistency as the manure but hasn't made the trip through the horse. Probably not importable or I'd send you some. Our three horses make plenty.

robutacion

Well George , I`ve never tried horse poo , but you are welcome to my cow poo experience . My first suggestion would be to ask for material which has undergone a season or two or three or four of weathering . That will remove the odour and add some insect and possibly fungal interest . In my area (18 inch precip/yr , +- 40C) , I prefer a full year . Your decomposition rate may be faster . Weathering will change the final colour a bit .

I have always just stabilized with multiple applications of thin CA as I went about turning . However my last batch I stabilized with Cactus juice . I neglected to record the pre-stabilization weight , but I think it was in the 25-30 gm range . The stabilized weight was 125 gm , so beware !

I didn`t get great void filling with Alumilite at 40 psi . I added a touch of white mica pigment to give it a bit of sparkle , which turned out a bit gray . Not bad looking , but not quite what I was aiming for . Think I will try for some ruby colour the next batch .

They are one of my most popular items . The first one went to a farmer friend who gave it to his priest . The president of a religious college bought one for herself before Christmas . The CEO of a community economic development organization was thrilled to be given one by a conference organizer , who likes to give them to her principal speakers . I had thought the main customer base would be ranchers/farmers . I was wrong . I guess they appeal to people with a quirky sense of humour .

Hi Waine,

I don't think that I recall reading anything about you making those blanks so, thank you for the hints.

In fact, I don't think that is a major difference in between using various animal poo, particular cow, horse, donkey, etc, they all have some common factors of which we (as the blanks makers) have no control of and I'm referring to the animals diet.

Each animal prefers some food sources than others, those that can only be fed from whatever they are given, have no choice but the rest can provide a considerable difference in range of grasses and break-downs properties so, is never a set formula but more a trial and error type of exercise.

Some of the issues you have already identified and of which you weren't that pleased about, are issues that I'm very aware and that I'm trying to address before any castings are done so, I will have to bring the attention to my horse fellow friend that, he may have to bring me different samples from different horse diet situations.

Will see...!

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

The breakfast that was , photo attached

From 91 gm to 284 gm , 3.5x3.5x2.5 inches . Interestingly , I did some nearly rotted but not spalted Silver buffaloberry at the same time and got the same 3 fold weight increase .

And the photo that didn`t attach http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=29401
index.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom