What can this be...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

It has been a while since I put on one of these "question games", there has been many other "things" happening here that have taken most of my time even though, I have tried to come here daily, read a bit and say something such as, answer a question, make a comment or ask a question, etc.

Not everything is bad news, I'm getting a little excited about being able to open a new web store, very soon. After wasting about 5 weeks creating (trying to) a new web store with "Webs" (address on my signature), it became obvious that they can host a good web site but ain't worse a nickel as a web store, they simply don't have the structure for web store creation, contrary to what they made me believe, when I selected their most expensive /premium plan...!

Anyway, I can't continue having a eBay store and base most of my sales through it as, since they decided to calculate their fees based on the combination of the item value (as before) but also adding the shipping value on that calculation, more than 50% of my sales go overseas so, having the shipping costs added to the item(s) value, is just simply robbery and I wonder how they can get away with it so, I will keep my ebay account as I buy a lot of stuff on eBay but the store will be reduce to half a dozen listings, and they will be design to take people to my new store, won't be easy but, where is a "will", is a "way"...!:wink::biggrin:

The new store is ready but, I want to add some more items, everything I have in there at this moment, is new and lever listed on eBay, lots of blanks I have been working on since the beginning of the year and some more recently, considering that, I have done also recently, a lot of work in my "lolly-shop" with the shelving and pen blanks organisation, lighting of the area and other upgrading developments, all to deal with the fact that, is getting harder for me to do what I and only will get worse so, and as a result, I'm considering all my options and create easier ways to achieve the results I need/want...!

This new store (address will be provided in due time) will have some "crazy" deals/offers, some discount coupons/codes for IAP members and will satisfy everyone needs and wishes in relation to Olive wood, time for me to "let go...!" and recoup some of our investment we have been making on that wood, for these last 8 years...!

Anyone that takes on the job the create a web store all by themselves know that, it ain't easy and takes time, I'm glad that I don't have thousands of items to list, my target is 200, this is what I once had on eBay (205), before I realise that, the monthly rent value alone was about $100.00, regardless if anything sell or not so, I started reducing to less than 1/3 in our days, and that will also go, very soon...!

Now, one of the new items I will have on the new store, has arrived yesterday on the mail, something purchased some distance away, and is small, less than 5kg. I don't really think that this wood species grow in the mainland Australia, and while looked quite old, it ain't dry so, I cut it all up in pen blanks size last night and I've got in in the oven, getting a few runs of 90 minutes cycles at 80° Celsius, lets hope they don't shrink too much, I cut them too close to regular pen banks sizes, before I realise they felt a little wet..!

So, I wonder if any of you can recognise/tell me what wood type\species is in the pic attached...!

The winner gets a small 250gr padded envelop free of charge, with 4 full size blanks or 8 shorts, of my choice, it may be from this chunk of wood, or maybe not, will see...!

Please, tell me the name of the wood species...!:wink::biggrin:

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Yellow cedar

Hey, hey, hey, you're getting warm...!

In fact, my first clue was giving in the original text I wrote, as for the possible location to where these trees exist for thousands of years...!

Another interesting thing is that, the skin, colouration and SMELL, is the closest thing I know from the Macrocarpa that I have plenty of. Wood density and texture is identical, and you know when you are cutting it as the smell is very unique and stays with you, you can't small anything else for days...! Good thing, though...! :wink::biggrin:

It is possible that, these 2 are even related in some way, I would need to search to find out but, at this point, that's not important...!

Oh and, one major difference in between these 2 species is that, one hasn't have any naturals oils and the other, is full of it...!:eek:

I'm going to add the second pic of 4 I took before I cut it all into pen blanks...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

ottotroll

3 Guesses... and then I give up, lol...

1) lusitanica
2) Lawson cypress
or....
3) Leyland cypress?

best guess is probably #3 (it is supposed to be "knotty" (but it does not naturally propagate, and lusitanica is supposedly more common)....

Thanks,
Richard

robutacion

Sorry folks, no correct answer so far...!

I didn't expect a correct answer on the first pic, unless someone has had some of this stuff to cut, the way this "famous" and rare wood is presented to the world is always in the finished form or in our case, pen blanks for sale however, isn't often that anyone shows a pen or anything done with the very high grade of this stuff, and that is exactly what this piece is and the reason why I purchased it.

This would be something that most people, non wood related, would kick away or put it in the fire, I don't know how old this piece is or the chunk it was cut from but, some of this stuff is known to be 3,000 years old or more, I doubt that it could be that old but, is not totally impossible...! I make absolutely no claim here, as I have no way to verify it...!

This is actually a "burl" and on this wood species, the "eyes" are given a specific name, get that name right and you will get the rest...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Rare, old, far from you: is it Sequoia burl?

Hey Clark, who told you that is from far away from me, if you had read my original post properly :wink:and the first clue or, the confirmation that I had a clue on my original text as per the location, I said, " something purchased some distance away, and is small, less than 5kg. I don't really think that this wood species grow in the mainland Australia"

Marked in red, is/was my clue, considering that 95% of all my woods are local (this town and in a radius no bigger than 25km), the place where these trees grow is a considerable distance from me, and is outisde Australia main land so, if you may remember (and maybe not) at school you should have shown that, Tasmania is part of Australia but is outside of the main land.

Even though is some distance away, I had a friend going there not long ago and I asked him to go and see some of the local and old timber mills, and ask for a specific wood and to take some pics with his phone and send them to me while he was there.

That was exactly what happened and when I received 5 pics of 5 possible candidates, the smallest and the ugliest piece was this one, I asked him to pay for it and put it in the mail to me...! I haven't forgotten a couple of other pieces he found but, I need to make a few sales before I can afford to buy at least, one more of those, which are a lot bigger than this one...!

I haven't sold anything on IAP for some time, the eBay store only has 1/3 of the listings I used to have, I lost 6 weeks putting together a web store with the wrong provider and I'm doing it all again but with a better company (well, so I hope) so, my hobby hasn't produce much "juice" lately so, "playing" money, is as rare as, rocking horse $#!t...!:eek::)

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is...!

tasmanian huon pine birdseye burl

Well, well mate, this time you took some attention to what I said/clues and you got it absolutely right, congratulations...!:wink::biggrin:

From what I can see, you done some searching to come up with the New Zealand Totara birds-eye burl, I never heard of it...!:eek:

However, this species exist and you may have come across something about the Huon Pine Birdseye Burl on the search that I never seen before and that I suggest everyone to have a read/look, it explains in detail what this wood species is about, here

On the other 2 pics I took before I started cutting it, the images are a lot more clear and familiar looking to what we know as Huon Pine Birdseye wood, as you can see...!

004.JPG 001.JPG

I have also mentioned that, the wood looked wet but I'm told the wood has been store in that old timber mill for over 10 years and undercover so, I weighed 4 random pen blanks after cut and them put them all in the oven. They got 6 runs of 90 minutes at about 80° Celsius, so a total of 9 hours in the oven.

After the 4th run finished, I weighed the same marked blanks and they all lost about 6gr. each, after the 5th run, they didn't lose anything so, I gave them one more run and checked them again, they all showed no drop in weight after the 4th run so, I consider them "done"

Today I sand them all and fully waxed them, not submersing the blanks in hot wax but, waxing one face at the time and the results are really impressive. I graded them all and divided them into 2 groups, the exhibition grade which have eyes on all 4 faces and from top to bottom, there were individually numbered and will be sold individually.

The other group (grade-2) I could have divided it into 2 grades but I decided not to, there are a few in this lot that are full of eyes from top to bottom but have some flaws that in reality, none of them is compromising the usable space of the blank but, doesn't look exhibition grade so, they were mixed up in packs of 3 blanks, where the other blanks have plenty of eyes but not as many as the top grade so, among those grade-2 packs, are blanks that are as good as any of the top grade...!

These blanks will be added to my new web store tonight, I'm not very far from opening "officially" the new web store so, any of you that may be interested in some of these blanks/packs, be patient, they will be there waiting when I open it to everyone and provided the correct address...!

They aren't that many, about 50 with the shorts and all, the piece was not that big and every inch was planned and marked before cut, would be a crime to waste any of it, huh...???

OK peoples, this wraps up this game, the winner as usual will get its prize, 4 blanks in a small padded envelope, I will think that I will send however, I always accept suggestions from the "winners"...!:wink::biggrin:

Thank you to all, that once again participated in these "games of mine", some last longer than others, this one went quickly, it may have to do with the fact that, I don't like to "drag" these things for any longer than necessary, a little fun is better than no fun, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 199
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

southernclay

George, everyone knows about New Zealand Totara birds-eye burl!?! :biggrin:

Yes, Google was my friend on that one.

I have wanted to try Huon pine burl since I saw a couple of people post that it was their favorite wood to turn/smell on an old post. Those last two pictures show some beautiful detail so very much looking forward to it. I didn't know it was as old as it is, pretty cool fact.

Thank you for the contest they are always fun and very generous of you to do.

If you are ok with it I would like to add a couple of goodies when your store opens up? Free is always nice but I'd like to spend a little paypal $ with you too. Let me know if that is okay with you and thanks again!
Warren

robutacion

George, everyone knows about New Zealand Totara birds-eye burl!?! :biggrin:

Yes, Google was my friend on that one.

I have wanted to try Huon pine burl since I saw a couple of people post that it was their favorite wood to turn/smell on an old post. Those last two pictures show some beautiful detail so very much looking forward to it. I didn't know it was as old as it is, pretty cool fact.

Thank you for the contest they are always fun and very generous of you to do.

If you are ok with it I would like to add a couple of goodies when your store opens up? Free is always nice but I'd like to spend a little paypal $ with you too. Let me know if that is okay with you and thanks again!
Warren

Hi Warren,

Well mate, you have the choice to keep your prize/credit for when the new store opens, all IAP members will have coupon discount of 10% for the first 2 weeks, that will be the my thank you for using the store instead of waiting for me to put something for sale on my vendors forum...!

I will be possibly offering a 5% discount to IAP members after that and as a general special discount for the IAP family, other "specials" and other stuff will be occasionally offered, my games will continue and pretty much anything else that I have done so far on IAP so, no changes there...!

The only thing that I want to achieve, is to make the whole process of making the sales, putting the orders together by having an easier to find/reach blanks/packs, etc., and have them posted, by either of us, when one is down...!

I apologise for keeping the new web store address private for the moment and while I'm making ready to function, not doing so, I would only created problems and distractions that I'm trying to avoid. There will be only a small percentage of the items I'm expecting to have there in the future but, that will take some time, as I'm working really slow in our days so, and in the mean time, my priority is to start with all the new stuff/items and then keep adding the older stuff that will have a an upgrade from the older pics, packs sizes (from 8 or 6 to 4 blanks), etc,.

I reckon, the wait will the worth it...!

PS: Don't forget to let me know what you want to do with your prize/credit...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

southernclay

Hey George!

7 days and the blanks are already here, that was fast!!

Thought I'd throw out a picture of my goodies from down under. All, I added a 4 pack of hairy banksia pods to the prize as well. They are all amazing blanks. Looking forward to all of them but especially the Huon Pine!

George, thanks my friend, will post a pic in the SOYP forum in the next 2-3 weeks I hope. Thanks for the generosity and sharing some amazing wood

Warren

image-897948343.jpg

robutacion

Hey George!

7 days and the blanks are already here, that was fast!!

Thought I'd throw out a picture of my goodies from down under. All, I added a 4 pack of hairy banksia pods to the prize as well. They are all amazing blanks. Looking forward to all of them but especially the Huon Pine!

George, thanks my friend, will post a pic in the SOYP forum in the next 2-3 weeks I hope. Thanks for the generosity and sharing some amazing wood

Warren

Hi Warren,

Sometimes I wonder why some parcels take so long to arrive while others are delivered is record time, even tough, I'm only using the economic air-mail option...???

Ask Gofer (Bruce Wallace) about the last 1kg parcel that I sent him (he is in Canada) nearly 3 months to arrive...!!!:eek::mad:

Is good to know that the parcels do arrive and arrive quick...!:wink:

I'm glad you are pleased with your prize and the blanks you ordered, I look forwards to see some ofr those blanks transformed...!

Enjoy,

Cheers
George

Top Bottom