Some of the best Olive wood I've seen...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi ladies and gents...!

I have processed yesterday and today, a piece (1/4 of an old tree short trunk), that Merissa and I cut, in October 2011. I got some other large pieces from some trimmings done to the sister's trees that are some of the oldest in the area (calculated at about 130 years old), they were too close together and near one of the fences so, I was asked to remove that one tree, trim the other large and old 5 syster trees but, the reason I was called there was to trim/prune near 600 Olive trees that were planted 17 years prior but that for 5 years never were touched therefore, they have grown very bushy and with straight water shoots that reached 6 meters long, some even more...!

101_0082_(1).jpg101_0087_(1).jpg101_0089_(1).jpg101_0083_(1).jpg

Anyway, that wood has been stored, and a few months ago, I brought in from the storage paddock, most of the pieces we collected from that place and brought them home and under cover, in one of the sheds.

A few days ago, I started to have the urge to cut/process some Olive wood, I need to have my "fix" sort of speak and spend a few hours, slicing away, in my bandsaw (relaxing therapy for me...!) So, I grabbed one fair size piece that was one of the 4 quarters I cut that Olive tree trunk at about 3' in length, no more than 40kg but enough to really stir my back since, I didn't walk more than 7 or 8 yards with it, the pain never stopped since, damnit...!:mad:

With or without pain, was no stopping me so, after I put the chunk on the bandsaw table (was there that I done my back, I'm sure) I realise that, it was just too big/long for me to handle it safely so, I cut it right in half through its length. I processed all that half that afternoon (yesterday) and only after if done it, I realise that I hadn't taken any pics so, I grabbed the camera and took some pics of the other half that I was going to process today.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Interestingly, this tree has had cut, a very large limb from it, which I guess, was done at the time the Olive grove was planted (about 1994), someone has trimmed it and cut a large low limb that was almost as big as the trunk, the scar was about 1' wide and about 2' in length (in about 45° angle, off-course).

Today, I finish processing it and I couldn't be happier with the quality of the wood, not many cracks, the wood is very solid and full of curl/fiddleback and a very busy grain, so much so that, if I haven't cut it myself, I would have said that the wood has come from a Olive root however, there are parts/areas in the grain that is unmistakable as wood from the Olive tree trunk.

I only cut the very few off-cuts as oversized pen blanks, about 30 or so including half as shorts, I felt a shame to cut it any smaller, I have thousands of cut Olive wood and Olive root pen blanks, I was happy to make it into slices and small square blocks that people can use in one of many ways.

Is the wood dry..??? no is not, its about 50% however, I would not hesitate in grab a piece if I feel like it and turn something out of it, in finished sizes/thickness. I'm obviously not referring to pen blanks, it may be a little early for that but, and because I sliced the trunk in 4 parts, this particular wood has dried more and better, than some I have in the paddock for double the time (6 years or more).

Anyway, I weight, marked and took pics of all the pieces/sets (some are doubles) after I decided to protect the wood main faces with some wax, that did also enhance the colours for the pics, and that was good however, the wax I used today, did show a little more "milky" than normal, it may have been some wax pieces I put it that I purchased recently, I don't think that, they stay as clear after melted as the wax I was using before so, I will buy no more of it...!

There is no doubt that, most of the "regular" IAP members to my threads/material, will not see this for a few days, they will entertained with family and friends festivities but, I never forget those that are alone and that spend this time of the year in solitude in their homes, like any other day so, I hope that, my story and pics can entertain them, just a little and, if my old saying is correct, it would be most appropriate here, and it goes like this, "A little bit of something, is a lot better than plenty of nothing...!":wink::biggrin:

These will endup listed on my new private web-store, the list of things to list is getting bigger by the day, despite the fact that, I literally hate creating new listings, I seemed to keep getting myself more stuff to list, everyday, I just can't win, huh...???:biggrin:

Enjoy,

001a.JPG008a.JPG013a.JPG019a.JPG028a.JPG

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Wow....beautiful stuff George! A lot of pretty boxes, bowls and pepper mills sitting there!

Sorry to hear it messed with your back but sounds like you had fun! Merry Christmas to you and your bride!

robutacion

Wow....beautiful stuff George! A lot of pretty boxes, bowls and pepper mills sitting there!

Sorry to hear it messed with your back but sounds like you had fun! Merry Christmas to you and your bride!

Thanks mate...!

What I meant with "doing my back" is, my back was done when I was only 19, when I broke it, its condition have deteriorated significantly in recent times, reason why I am now a pensioner, the thing is that, my daily horse dose of painkillers seem to just maintain the pain levels bearable, if I don't do any lifting, bending or other similar movements so, any small stuff I do particularly if I carry a little weight on my arms and walk a few steps, that extra weight put pressure on the vertebras as they don't have discs anymore so, the nerves get pinched easily and that is what aggravate the pain to unbearable levels. There is just no other way even with the dramatic changes I done to my life in regards to heavy work, is just no getting out of these extra "pinches" that brings tears to my eyes, this has been a very long companion (sort of speak), it just become a lot more sensitive with any certain movements so, there is no escape.

The thing is, the noise of my pain gets disguised with the noise of all the equipment going when I'm in the work-shop, I can't be heard and my mind gets focussed on what I need to do so, it is a lot less obvious than when I'm seated in from of the computer however, being seated in a good back support desk chair, it does help a little...!

You know what "they" say about catching fish...??? You got to get you arse wet...!:wink::biggrin:

Don't worry, I live...!:)

PS: Fun..??? You have no idea how processing Olive wood, makes me feel, the smells the texture, the burning eyes, the gummed sawblades, and that horrible sour taste in the mouth from the fine sawdust, they are all part of what Olive wood is, to me works as therapy and something that I never get tired of doing, I'm a very lucky man, to have found a place where I managed to surround myself with a fair amount of this wood, to process and enjoy, I'm very lucky, indeed...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Edward Cypher

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year George. Those are beautiful pieces of olive. Thanks for sharing. Your bulk olive pen blanks are not bad either and they have that wonderful smell and feel too. Have a wonderful day and do not strain yourself.

SteveG

Hi George...its is a joy to discover the things you choose to share with all of us here on IAP. Your obvious deep enjoyment of beautiful woods is something contagious (in a good way). That olive is fantastic!

It is so unfortunate that you are plagued by the serious back issues, something I share but to a less severe degree. I hope to send some of the good feelings that you offer, right back to you. Thanks George!

Top Bottom