A "problem" that I don't mind to have...! - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Oliver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Oliver View Post
George, just buy the business and then the whole place becomes your stash area! Wow that's some beautiful wood you folks heat your houses with down under!
Buy the business..??? sure mate, the 1,2 million he wants is just pocket money to me...!

Cheers
George
Did you check the couch cushions?
You wish...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Hi George, I am so pleased that you have found a great wood contact, I really enjoying looking around the log yard that I visit and I love taking that first slice from the end of a sun bleached log to reveal the colours.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default More new species...!

G'day,

No one seemed to want to guess the species names of those 2 burls I shown before, post -12, as mentioned I have that tree species on my list for many years but I never managed to find the burls some trees produced.

The first pic on the left is of a #24 Cork tree wood burl, they are rare burls to find, I have never seen a burl in any Cork trees here in Australia, I've seen a few back in my birth country, though.

The piece on the right pic is of the #10 Poplar tree burl, these are not as rare but very difficult to spot on the trees, the burl grows on the inside of the wood with only small "bulges" on the outside, very disguised by the bark.

The first pic bellow is of a the Poplar crotch piece that was still attached to the limb where the burl was.

011p.jpg

Pic 2 is of my storage paddock and 2 first trailers loaded of 6, with the Olive wood.

001aa.jpg

This is one of the drying towers that I have cut from some nice Dwarf Cypress logs, I git them straight cut and diagonal cut. Interestingly, these small trees only produce the purple heart centre of some of the thinner/knotted branches, from the trunk right to the forks, you normally don't see any purple.

I had some of this wood some years ago from a small tree a neighbour on the other side of the road, needed cutting after it snapped near the root.

001mh.jpg

This next one, also not yet identified, has one nasty property, when cutting it green, it stinks like cow poo/$#!t

Looking at it, you can't see the curled and twisted grains that run through some areas of the wood, it works similar to Tortuosa Willow, though to cut through those grained areas, the blade wants to wonder...!

I had some cut and dried immediately (3 days laster), the natural wood colour is pretty furry and whitish, ideal to stabilized with some colours and get those grains pop-up when done.

I attached also a couple of pics of these blanks after I made them into extra long pen blanks, in red and blue dyes. Not every blank is like the 2 shown, those are the more grainy ones but, I made packs of 4 blanks where one has one of these and 3 more where the brain decreases gradually so basically blanks from the most grained to the straight grain.

006w.jpg007w.jpg008w.jpg009w.jpg032w.jpg007q.jpg010q.jpg

I have a lot more to show from this firewood place, that will be done next...!

Cheers
George

Advertisement
Old 05-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Watkins View Post
Hi George, I am so pleased that you have found a great wood contact, I really enjoying looking around the log yard that I visit and I love taking that first slice from the end of a sun bleached log to reveal the colours.
Hi George,

Yes, I'm pretty pleased that I manage to have this opportunity...!

Log yards can be a nightmare also, particularly when you spot something under tonnes of other logs and the owners won't move any wood for you, not profitable for him so, you keep looking but your mind still stuck on that piece you wanted but can't have, if you did, your mind becomes free for putting your attention on other possibilities, very much like the story of fisherman, never forget the one that got away, huh..??

Cheers
George

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #25 (permalink)

Well, I have not been at the firewood place since last week, I was going to do a few hours on the chainsaw today but, we have had rain for some days so, I will wait until the weather improves.

This means that, I haven't collected any new stuff however, there are a few pics of wood I got from that place that you guys haven't seen yet.

This is the case with the first pic bellow, what you see is part of the last trailer load I brought home, the day I done the last chainsawing for Ken.

008r.jpg

The pic was taken the day I dropped it grass hear the work-shop and before the rain started, I have already processed some of it, the rest is covered with a plastic to prevent getting soaked wet.

I have just found out today that, one of the wood species I got from the firewood place is the Red Ironbark, I've seen lots of these trees in the streets in McLaren Vale but, I never had the opportunity to cut one myself. Looking at the bark, it looks that the fire has burnt it but, that is how the bark of mature trees look like.

This next one is not new but, I never had some much of it and so old, this means that the wood/burl is spalted with the burl eyes open and stable. This is the case with the Peppercorn tree burl, the burl when green is all solid but as it dries, the burl eyes start to open apart, and the wood around it gets darker.

015a.jpg

This should have been a monster of a tree, there was a lot of it and from what I saw, it seemed to belong all to the same tree.

I have processed a bit of it, some soft spalted burl blanks and slices have been stabilized in clear Juice,

038.jpg046.jpg003p.jpg004p.jpg009p.jpg

Some slices of the some parts of the dry burl but raw,

031.jpg032.jpg036.jpg

I have also stabilised some pen blanks with the blue dye,

017u.jpg014u.jpg016u.jpg

There is more but, that will stay for the next time...!

Enjoy
Cheers
George

Old 05-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

Thumbs up another new wood species...!

G'day,

Last Wednesday, we had to go through McLaren Vale so I took the trailer with intentions to stop by the firewood processing place and get another load of wood. I spotted a few fairly large slices cut near the track that I didn't seem familiar.

The logs have been there for some time but since my last time there was over 2 weeks ago, lots of logs have been cut/sliced and taken to the hydraulic splitter, and as this happens more logs all along the bobcat access tracks become visible and that is the reason I haven't spotted them before or if I did, the log's bark didn't mean much to me then.

We have had a lot of rain these last couple of weeks, all the wood/logs is/are saturated from being in the weather and the wood colours always darken making wood identification and even wood grain spotting a lot more difficult so, after I had a good look at the few of the same log's faces, I decided that take a couple home with me.

The first thing I've done when home was to take one of the logs to the bandsaw and check it out, what a nice surprise I had, still have no idea at what it can be but I'm sure, is nor one of the natives, it has to be an introduced species and extremely old at that, the very distinct growth rings are very tight and many, well over 100 in my estimation.

I will take a better look at one of the slices I have that is part of the main trunk and count them all to satisfy my curiosity.

I was certainly interested in getting more of it and had to be fast, logs sliced mean, going to the splitter at any time so, I decided to return the next day and grab as much as I could. All the slices I saw, I got them in the trailer and I wondered if that was all, the discs were large so, there had to be more of that tree there somewhere.

I didn't need to go far when I spotted the main mother load of the tree bottom trunk/butt, a good tonne of it still untouched, is a couple of metres back from the track so, I will take care of it, next time I'm working the Bobcat (yes, I load all my wood with it)

The sliced pieces I have already of this new species (to me) will last me a very long time however, that main trunk I saw, has some crotch wood and some other stuff that I would expect to produce some very pretty wood.

I have cut some more tonight, diagonal and cross as last Wednesday I had cut some straight cut pen blanks, all oversized because, apart from being water saturated, I think the wood is still a little green. I will oven dry a few of each to see exactly how it looks dry and off-course after I turn some samples out of it with the normal CA finish.

So far, I can say that the bark is whiteish, about 3/4" thick and fairly smooth. the wood doesn't seem very dense and the darker stripes are absolutely everywhere, as I said, I'm looking forwards to have some blanks dry so that I can make the samples, the wood is very pretty as it is, already...!

Do you recognize it...?? Let me know.

Enjoy the pics...!

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
022.jpg   023.jpg   024.jpg   026.jpg   027.jpg  

028.jpg   029.jpg   031.jpg   032.jpg   034.jpg  

037.jpg   038.jpg   039.jpg   043.jpg   044.jpg  

Last edited by robutacion; 05-28-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add title
Old 05-29-2016, 02:09 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Introduced , light weight , whitish bark Ailanthus ??
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080Wayne View Post
Introduced , light weight , whitish bark Ailanthus ??
Well, well, well...! we have another tree "expert" among us, a shot in the dark, a fluke, or a very educated guess, I'm amazed of how accurate you were/are with the name of this new tree species.

I have a feeling that was not native to Australia but an introduced species, and I was right, I know it came from this area and in fact, there has been identified as common in this area of South Australia, see attached map tree-haven-1.jpg

In fact, Ailanthus altissima or Tree of Haven is native to China so, is no surprise that with such a large number of Chinese people in Australia that, they would bring one of their native trees to Australia, and in this case, I'm glad they did, I would never known/touched the wood, otherwise...!

tree-haven-2.jpg

I'm not sure which name I will use to put on my timbers list but, with a name such as Tree of Haven, I think that the decision is an obvious one..!

So this one is identified, there are another 4 or 5 that I have no idea what they are, 2 of which I started processing it yesterday so, I will show them here soon...!

One that has also surprised me was Red Palm tree that, I got from Ken's place in the very beginning. Any other Palm species I processed/found so far, are light when dry and lightly coloured also however, this one has a very hard bark/outer shell and felt extremely heavy when I picked up a small log/piece about 1' long or so less. Took it home and while water saturated, I let it set sliced up into oversize pen blanks and then I put it in the oven for 2 days at very low temps and when I got it out, it felt very solid, still heavy and shrunk very little something that any other Palms tried shrunk from 40mm square into
pieces that would be already under the 20mm square, some shrunk into something that looked like a thin twig (useless stuf)

So, I will have some finished pen blanks of it to show everyone here, no need to stabilize this stuff, I'm sure...!

Once again, thanks Wayne for helping out with tree species identification.

Cheers
George

Last edited by robutacion; 05-30-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Delighted to help George , but it probably won`t happen again . Combination of a little bit of knowledge , a major bit of forgetfulness , and a little bit of luck . The light weight and not native to Australia combination made me think of some paulownia I have , which I knew to have been widely planted (mine came from New York) . Not having looked at it for some time , I very wrongly remembered the species name as being Ailanthus . When I Googled bark photos of Ailanthus , a couple of the first bunch looked very close to yours , hence my guess . I didn`t look at my wood samples until tonight after reading your post . So , shall I continue to be forgetfully wrong every time I try to help you , in the hope that I may accidentally be right , or should I try to be right , knowing that I almost certainly will be wrong ??

My guess is that you have been lucky to get a tree that has grown very slowly , perhaps in somewhat adverse conditions . My Ailanthus samples look nothing like what you have - wide growth rings and much paler . I will look forward to seeing more photos when you have finished processing them .
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080Wayne View Post
Delighted to help George , but it probably won`t happen again . Combination of a little bit of knowledge , a major bit of forgetfulness , and a little bit of luck . The light weight and not native to Australia combination made me think of some paulownia I have , which I knew to have been widely planted (mine came from New York) . Not having looked at it for some time , I very wrongly remembered the species name as being Ailanthus . When I Googled bark photos of Ailanthus , a couple of the first bunch looked very close to yours , hence my guess . I didn`t look at my wood samples until tonight after reading your post . So , shall I continue to be forgetfully wrong every time I try to help you , in the hope that I may accidentally be right , or should I try to be right , knowing that I almost certainly will be wrong ??

My guess is that you have been lucky to get a tree that has grown very slowly , perhaps in somewhat adverse conditions . My Ailanthus samples look nothing like what you have - wide growth rings and much paler . I will look forward to seeing more photos when you have finished processing them .
Well my friend, which either way you want to go about it, please continued to throw possible names, its only a matter of time before you get it right, and this case is a good example of that.

I'm not familiar with many of these new species and sometimes the smallest of clues can put us in the right track, I would never guessed it and if there was any doubt (as I never saw the tree alive, its leafs, flowers, etc...) was one aspect of this tree species that took any doubts I may have and that is the very unusual end grain when looked close up, tree-heaven-endgrain.jpg different than most of woods so, I was positive of the match.

I have one lot of these blanks in diagonal cut that the wife waxed yesterday, ready for me to make 4 blank's packs mark them and take some pics, that will happen probably tomorrow, I'm also considering to turn a sample out of these new wood species, finished with CA as all other samples I made, that gives always a better view at what the blank/wood looks like...!

Let's hope that you and I are as lucky to identify some of the other unknown/unidentified species...!

Cheers
George

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads