A "problem" that I don't mind to have...! - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edohmann View Post
Congratulations on that awesome wood score, George.

I'm especially glad to hear that you are feeling better and able to get back to what you enjoy doing the most. That was the part of this story that I enjoyed the most.
Thanks Edgar,

Yes, I thrive around wood's the problem is that, my body doesn't want to go where the mind is and I never seem to know limits, its either too much or not enough and nothing in between, that has been my old problem...!

One thing is for sure, if I have to have pains, let them be from handling timbers and not from some other health problem...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080Wayne View Post
Unbelievable George ! Delighted to see that you are now able to measure your wood stash in tonnes , as I do , although I think you are cheating by using stuff over 4 inch diameter .

Please be careful with that chain saw .
Sure mate, considering my average Aussie woods I found and cut, this place get logs the size of cars, I like them smaller but a little over 4" if I can..!

Talking of large logs, my first job was tackling the logs shown in the pics bellow, using my 36" chainsaw, they have been for years, no one has ever touched them even though they are from Red Gum, one of the most sourced firewoods in this area but the sheer size of them and its hardness after being so dry, was enough for Ken to ignore them but I had a different idea, I had cut logs that size before but, was only 2 problems that I had to deal with, the first was the weight of this old Sthil 070 chainsaw with a large bar, that is a challenge to any healthy strong man, I'm not that anymore and that "tool" hurts to handle, pretty bad.

The second problem was that, I could see that the logs centre was hollow but full of soil, look at the pile of dirt I got out of it before I started but, I couldn't get it all so, and if you look at the first couple of cuts on the right, they were fairly straight but after that, I was hitting too much dirt, blunting the chain and making the saw push to the right.

I kept sharpening the chain but after a while, I gave up, was just no point in spending a whole day struggling with it, is like cutting through cement, the new owners can take care of it so, I grabbed the smaller 20" chainsaw and start cutting easier and cleaner stuff, you could see some wood sliced, then...!

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
004c.jpg   005c.jpg  

Old 05-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Isn't it amazing that this place was around for 30 years and you just discovered the treasures they have been splitting. It is fun to see you so excited about the new wooden gold mine.

You'll have plenty of woods for your wood identification contests - but who will really know what is what if YOU don't know.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2016, 02:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishman View Post
Isn't it amazing that this place was around for 30 years and you just discovered the treasures they have been splitting. It is fun to see you so excited about the new wooden gold mine.

You'll have plenty of woods for your wood identification contests - but who will really know what is what if YOU don't know.
Hi Chris,

Thanks mate, does my "excitement" show true that much..??

I have been in this place for 11 years and yes, I remember to have seen that sign on the side of the road for a long time but, you can't see anything from the road and I know from experience that, most of the firewood people only want to deal with Gum trees as they offer the best firewood that people around here is used to have however, I can tell you that they have no idea of so many other tree species that offer a lot better properties as firewood, Oaks being some of them but Olive wood is probably one of the best when is dry but off-course, that is not what people gets most around here and all over Australia, that explain why red gum firewood worth almost double than any other woods.

I have been at other firewood sale places and nothing compares with this one, there is also one major factor to why, these places were not as important to me as to my own ability to source the woods I wanted and have them cut myself but that has all changed so now, these sort of places are my priority.

I understand that to some people, knowing the tree species name is most crucial, for me it is and it is not, I appreciate the wood for what it is and not for its name however, in situations like these, if the people receiving the wood don't know what they are, I can go further and say that, many of the tree companies remove trees that they have no idea what they are, that is not important for what they do.

So, I will continue to offer wood species that I know from where they come from, (within certain distances) but, it will take a while to find their proper names. All this becomes a little easier when people start to see pieces of that wood and some pics of the logs they come from, that sometimes helps but not always...!

I have had pieces that I didn't recognise at the firewood place, the last day I was there cutting, I spotted 2 small pieces that have been cut for a very long time, they were under some of the logs I cut and exposed, while I didn't know what they were at the beginning, I knew that they weren't going to stay there this has happened many times before, I only recognise what they are when I put them in the bandsaw and start cutting.

Look at the pics attached and tell me if you know what they are, I can tell you that they are part of tree species that I have already listed for many years however, this is the first time I've found this part of the tree(s).

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
001n.jpg   009t.jpg  

Old 05-06-2016, 02:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim15 View Post
That's a great haul. I'm glad you are feeling well enough to be able to do all that work.
Thanks mate, the question is, how long will I last..???

I don't know the answer but, what I can tell you is that, I will continue doing it until I can.

Cheers
George

Old 05-06-2016, 02:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyone View Post
I have to say.... I really enjoy reading the stories of everyone here.. but George has the best of everyone! :)
Hahaha mate, you are a good friend, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Old 05-06-2016, 02:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
Those "arrowheads" are very unique....

Congrats on the 'haul'!!!

Scott (chainsaw gas smells yummy) B
Oh yeah, those...!

Can you tell me what they are...???

You may get lucky when they are dry!

Cheers
George

Old 05-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 161

Wow George, it sounds like you found your own little bit of heaven. Don't over do it in all the excitement. Congratulations.
Cwalker935 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker935 View Post
Wow George, it sounds like you found your own little bit of heaven. Don't over do it in all the excitement. Congratulations.
Hahaha, too late for that mate, I haven't touched anything in the workshop all day today, my both wrists hardly can grip a pen to write, something that I haven't had since I had surgery on my Carpel Tunnels some time ago so that tells me that yesterday and the day before, I pushed it too damn hard, as usual.

I would prefer to know that, the firewood place wasn't for sale, I may be less concerned and get as much as I can, is a good possibility that the person buying the property, is not buying it for the firewood processing but for the house the location and the large size, who knows if that person buys the place and gets rid of all the firewood machinery and wood...??

Is also possible that, it that would happen that, someone else in the firewood business would buy anything to do with the firewood processing including all the wood, split and unsplit????

I just don't know and with the offer to get as much wood I want in exchange for some of my labour, makes me a little more on edge and keen in getting as much as I can, while I can, better safe than sorry, huh?

Cheers
George

Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Oliver View Post
George, just buy the business and then the whole place becomes your stash area! Wow that's some beautiful wood you folks heat your houses with down under!
Buy the business..??? sure mate, the 1,2 million he wants is just pocket money to me...!

Cheers
George
Did you check the couch cushions?

Penturning - Its basically taxidermy for trees.
D.Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads