pod blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Ed, Ed, Ed....! what ever stopped you to buy them on my eBay store, mate...??? everyone else finds them so, why not you...???

On the other hand, if you don't use eBay, you could have simply have sent me a PM and you could have had them, long ago.

If you want some, you only have to ask, I don't need to put an add in here, the damn things are selling fast and I'm getting concern, I already had a few complains, one from the UK bought 10, destroyed one and demanded money back, which off-course was processed after I receive the 9 and a few pieces of the 10th one (that's the condition), the same day I was posting 2 parcel to the UK, with 10 blanks on each parcel, and even with all the warnings and advice on how to handle them, some inexperienced turners are ordering them based upon the pics and other stuff they see on the Web, without even considering if they have the skill and patience level required to get to the end successfully.

That scares and concerns me, I'm working with very limited resources and I don't to see my blanks being destroyed for nothing. I make them to utilise my resources and share them with everyone, they are not made for the profit, anyone that makes blanks will know that at the price I have been selling them, is not making money, is simply covering the costs to process them, a bit of my time and bit for my wifes time and efforts as she has her hands deep on the issue from collecting them to, cleaning, unwrapping, sanding and post every single parcel.

Off-course, I want to make them and use the pods as the tree produces them, unfortunately their popularity recently (this year), is making me to use the store resources in an unsustainable way, there is, the number of pods I'm using monthly, is far above what the tree can produce, even in the best yield year, something that I compromise considerably, when I decided that was safe to treat these 2 Banksia's with a heavy "hair cut", I could not have planned it any worse, really...!

So yes, you should get some of what I have done, (about 40) under the old production methods and that is, using the raw pods in the castings, all new batches will be done with the pods being submitted to the stabilisation process and then cast and the prices adjusted, accordingly. I know that you and most guys here are very capable to handle the raw pods so, you will be fine but, the same I can not say to many others that, have destroyed them and are too ashame to admit it, as they know they ignore my advice and stuffed up.

In fact, I maybe should go the other way around, I should removed the listing on my eBay store and put what I have left from the last batch in here, with the belief you guys are "safer" to sell them to.

I already have a box of pods cut and stabilised, I just received my last resin supply so, I can make a few batches of the new stabilised ones and them list them on my eBay store as I know, I have some "regulars" that have no problems with them as they are, as they done enough to work out what they should do however, they may not appreciate the new stabilised price, I'm sure they will appreciate the easier to handle blank, as a result.

In fact the $1.50 extra for the stabilisation process, will be a cost saving to, them for many reasons, stronger blank, less soaking CA, less stops and soakings, faster processing, easier and faster sanding and a lot easier to finish and less CA coats necessary (material is already impregnated with Juice) so, an improvement as a safer blank for the less experience but, make no mistake, that red velvet is still there and still not soaked with the Juice, thin CA is a must, regardless...!

I can make packs of 4 blanks and if I remove its square corners, I can fit them in a 250gr. padded bag for AU$9.00 shipping, this is obviously in the Regular air-mail option by Australia Post, there is no tracking and any safety net behind this option, it has been working well for locations/Countries with fairly safe postal services.

The blanks are AU$5.50 each so, the whole package would cost AU$31.00 (4 blanks).

What do you're reckon, should I sell what I have of the raw stuff in here and close the eBay listing for now and until I get the new stabilised batch done or, you guys prefer to wait for me to make the stabilised ones @ AU$7.00 each...???

I'm OK either way, really...!

Cheers
George

edstreet

That is a great concern. Cost should reflect availability as well as difficulty in turning. Stabilizing should make them easier to turn or at least more uniform.

One thing that I am learning is not everyone has a delicate hand like I do. Or attention to detail like I do. Those are some thing that I often take for granted.

I did PM you about 20x but might want to change that to 10x instead it will be something good to work with and I am sure I would be better off with 20x than 10x.

robutacion

George

Can these be stabilized with Cactus Juice in MesquiteMan's vacuum chambers?

If so I might be in for package of 10.

Larry

For the ones that have already been cast, stabilising with Cactus Juice, is too late, as the curing heat necessary to cure the Juice, will mess up the blanks, I know, I tried, didn't like the results so, if you feel more secure/comfortable to work with these blanks but those that have had the pod stabilised before casting, I have a bunch already stabilised and I will be casting them as soon as I finish with the Dwarf Banksia pods. I would say, next week sometime.

I'm Ok to sell them fresh from me but, I need to make sure that, these blanks should not the worked on, within 4 weeks from being made, the PR (Polyester) takes 14 days to fully cure, and casting stabilised materials slow down the normal OR curing time so, I strongly recommend that, if you want them early so that you don't miss out, the 2 weeks or so that takes to get them shipped, is not enough if they were posted immediately after made.

Sure, you can accelerate that if you are in a hot place to put them in the sun for a couple of weeks but if you are in cold places, you can put them in an oven but with a temperature not exceeding 55°Celsious, you can keep them there for a couple of days and the chances are, they will set hard in that time.

Attention: Absolutely NO microwaving, any more heat than that, you are going to burn the pods and crack the resin, is not worth it, believe me...!

I have certain types of Resifills where something else is mixed with the PR resin that, still "bleeds" after 4 weeks of being cast, one of the worse for that is the Palm Root, I let them dry/bleed for at least 6 weeks before I finish them, I prefer to let them dry naturally as my temps, are never too low (about 20°C) and the bandsaw blade racks I made and shown here, is where they stay, under cover but with plenty of circulating air so, just keep that in mind...!

This is the very reason why I don't list anything until, they have complete this drying/setting period that a see as the best preventive away to avoid problems...! But, and like I said, on here (IAP) I'm happy to supply them fresh, if you can "nurse" them long enough to be safe and not get attempted, only because you have them...! :)

PS: Cactus Juice is all I use for stabilisation...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom