Mr. Anonymous Game #5 @ 11/9/2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Pretty sure after 38 guesses that it's unlikely to happen...

Congratulations Kelly.

Hahahahaha mate, you actually counted them...??? I didn't but I knew they were lots...!:)

Well mate, I'm sorry about your failure to give me the correct answer, you certainly know a bunch of my woods, and that is a benefit to you, for future games however, you may need to consider how each one of those woods look like, that will eliminate a big bunch, when you see the colour of the wood in question.

Never mind, was fun to see you go like a runaway train, you are certainly quite with those guesses so, if anything, is god practice for you, huh...???

Next time...!

Cheers
George

Krash

Hey Kelly, what is your excuse...???:eek::wink::biggrin: here

Cheers
George

I don't have one! :rolleyes:

This wood kinda reminded me of my Ponderosa bark pen.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/bark-like-pen-121650/[/quote]

Yes indeed, and for whatever the reason, the first link on my previous post, was suppose to be the one of your Ponderosa Pine bark but, that was not what I endut putting on the post, sorry. They all very identical but, not all pines species grow bark that thick.

Cheers
George[/quote]

Oh, now I get your response. For sure! I should have clued in that it was like my Bark Like a Pen.
I had gone looking for your old posts and found the hardness test which is why I guessed cork in #32. Then you said it was wrong in #43 so I went looking again and found your Crows Ash pod in #72 then ended up at the hardness post again. The pictures of the Pine Bark there didn't seem to resemble the stabilized picture in MAG #5 but after Wayne posted Pine Cone in #73 and I posted Norfolk pine in 74, I immediately thought "Bark!" and looked at your timbers list and found #68. Obviously I wasn't convinced since I guessed 8 more times. :wink:
Persistence paid off I guess!

Krash

Congratulations Kelly.

Thanks Steve. I kinda thot you or Troy were going to get it but George kept enticing me by saying all the previous guesses were wrong. I couldn't stop looking and guessing. But, on the up side, I am getting better at identifying Down Under wood ... probably better than the wood in my back yard!

Maybe someday I'll get to visit that wood in person .... :biggrin:

SteveJ

I was thrown off by searching for a wood. I discarded banksia, cork and bark on that basis. Plus in my searches I didn't find many woods which came close to resembling the color of the original pictures, so I was going for a similar grain pattern. Unfortunately, I am not sure it actually taught me anything except that I am really not very good at wood identification (I haven't had any success in any of the bash wood identification contests either!)

Krash

I was thrown off by searching for a wood. I discarded banksia, cork and bark on that basis. Plus in my searches I didn't find many woods which came close to resembling the color of the original pictures, so I was going for a similar grain pattern. Unfortunately, I am not sure it actually taught me anything except that I am really not very good at wood identification (I haven't had any success in any of the bash wood identification contests either!)

I agree. I kinda thought that cork may have been a possibility not knowing what color Australian cork might be. Someone even guessed cork bark which I thought may have been the correct answer. George was right, I should have clued in on the bark aspect since I have worked in it before. I guess I hadn't seen it on his timbers list before.

It's all in fun though. George is a crafty mate that like to drive us "Up Overs" crazy with his Aussie yarns. I'm sure it brings him much joy witnessing us "pining" over his wood species!

Here's to George, who makes this a fun place to frequent! :)

robutacion

Congratulations Kelly.

Thanks Steve. I kinda thot you or Troy were going to get it but George kept enticing me by saying all the previous guesses were wrong. I couldn't stop looking and guessing. But, on the up side, I am getting better at identifying Down Under wood ... probably better than the wood in my back yard!

Kelly, keep working on that though as, anything is possible you want it to be...!

As for "visiting that wood", you you mean, many of the Aussie woods, sure, I should have enough to last me awhile and if you mean, the pine tree from where that bark has come from, that is also possible, I have the 2 whole gigantic trees cut up into pieces in my storage paddock, Storage paddock 24-6-08 010_(1).jpg
my turnings 022_(1).jpg

And if you want to visit the spot where their brothers and sisters are still standing up, its only a few hundred meters from my place and the storage paddock, pines 001_(1).jpg

To have a better idea of the size of these trees, you can see me, "the monkey" up the third tree (this was February 2008, struggling slightly already...!:frown:) Town pine trees removal 004_(1).jpg

to remove a large side branch that was going to be a problem in high winds, as the removed trees were in front of that one, from the direction most of the strong winds come from...!

Keep the dreams alive, they may never eventuate but, it will give you the willingness to keep trying...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Well mate, I will give a good piece of advice, free of charge, read carefully what I wright on the opening game thread and on any other posts that I make. You will find that, I'm giving some hints on the words I select to use and sometimes the hints are as "blunt" as some of my chainsaw chains. Read it slowly from beginning to end, seat back for a minute and think of what I said, you have been around long enough to be quite familiar with many if not most of my woods and if you are unfamiliar with them, look at the list, the blanks I have listed and compare, you not always see them listed but, a quick search of the wood name will give you your first hint, the colour.

In all, this is all a learning curve for everyone, and a great opportunity to become familiar with some of the Aussie wood species and some introduced ones. I only represent a small portion of them, the ones I have close to me, I estimated years ago that I would find about 150 species but unfortunately, my body decided that, I demanded too much from it for far too long so, I endup with about 80 odd. I may add a few more but, that will be if someone else get them for me, as I'm always looking, I can't help it...!

At least, 3 times each month, if everything goes to plan, I will be offering new games so, you have plenty of opportunities to get a few prizes and, you never know, I may award one day, the person with the most number of posts/guesses...!:wink::biggrin:

You will be OK, I promise...!:)

Cheers
George

SteveJ

No worries George! It was fun making all those guesses. Especially since it is not as though I actually NEED any more blanks. I still haven't turned the banksia blanks I bought from you a while ago and I've got some Amboyna burl and Huon Pine on its way that I have no immediate plans for (the Shiraz will get turned right away for that order).

It was all in fun and if I have the time again during another of the contests, I'll keep at it.

Steve

robutacion

I agree. I kinda thought that cork may have been a possibility not knowing what color Australian cork might be. Someone even guessed cork bark which I thought may have been the correct answer. George was right, I should have clued in on the bark aspect since I have worked in it before. I guess I hadn't seen it on his timbers list before.

It's all in fun though. George is a crafty mate that like to drive us "Up Overs" crazy with his Aussie yarns. I'm sure it brings him much joy witnessing us "pining" over his wood species!

Here's to George, who makes this a fun place to frequent! :)

Thanks Kelly,

I'm sure that, not everyone on IAP will share that sentiment but, its OK, is never possible to please everyone so, I'm fine with it however, I do appreciate those that do feel like you...!:biggrin:

OK, lets learn something, there are a few species of Cork wood but, they all have one thing in common, the bark/cork has the same colour to all of them and that is the colour that you, I and everyone around the world know as, cork...!

I will be happy, the day that most of you can identify most of my woods, or at least, learn some of their names, colours, grains, etc.

I'm already happy that some of you, have already introduced some of my woods (Aussie stuff) into your collections, either for sale or for one use. Seeing pens made with my stuff is rewarding enough, as I know, most of the pen customers/buyers, will be excited about the chance to own a little bit of this country, in an identical way as many religious people, like to own a genuine piece of Olive wood from the Holy Land.

I also know that, some of the wood species I "collected", you can not find/get/buy them from anyone else but me, this is only because I brought them out from the dark into the light, they may be small, full of dirt, hard as cement and all things in between that put mots wood people off but, not me, I have no interest in offering what everyone else can offer, not my thing, I prefer to take the extra step and offer the things that no one ever seen or heard of, and even make the ugly stuff to look pretty, that I can and like to do...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hey, don't you sell some olive wood that we can CLAIM was from the Holy Land? But you had to go and cut off the corners....

Keep the games coming!

Steve

Yeah that's right, I did, I did...!:wink::biggrin:

Didn't it worked wonders...??? all of a certain, those playing that silly game, can't think of a reason to explain to their customer, why they come without the square corners while the ones coming from Israel, are square...!:wink::biggrin:

Those buying from me and turning them into pens, can really do what their honesty allows, those are the minority, but the big boys playing the game and making the good money, are now looking elsewhere for supply, my blanks are no longer "suitable" to them, and I couldn't be happier...!

I like to have cut, lots of quality Olive wood blanks from the Oz-Land/Mclaren Vale Holly good place to grow Olives...!:wink::biggrin:

Where is a will, is a way, sooner or later...!:)

Cheers
George

wyone

I for one, love to LEARN.. and I have learned a lot of techniques.. skills.. and all about wood on this forum. I appreciate that it is FUN to learn.. hey.. isn't that what they try to tell teachers to do? :) :)

robutacion

Hey George ... I got the blanks today.

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get one on the lathe!

Good to know they got to you, already...!

Now.... go easy on them, remember that, as soon as you go through the outer surface of the stabilized Pine bark, the inside is not as hard so, the transition between resin and bark, have to be gentle if you use cutting tools however, if you use the flap disc system, things a lot easier and faster.

Thin CA as you go, is your best friend, here, I expect the results to be stunning...!:wink:

Good luck...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Krash

Hey George ... I got the blanks today.

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get one on the lathe!

Good to know they got to you, already...!

No.... go easy on them, remember that, as soon as you go through the outer surface of the stabilized Pine bark, the inside is not as hard so, the transition between resin and bark, have to be gentle if you use cutting tools however, if you use the flap disc system, things a lot easier and faster.

Thin CA as you go, is your best friend, here, I expect the results to be stunning...!:wink:

Good luck...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Will do Sensei ... :worship:

Krash

Congratulations Kelly.

Kelly, keep working on that though as, anything is possible you want it to be...!

And if you want to visit the spot where their brothers and sisters are still standing up, its only a few hundred meters from my place and the storage paddock,

Keep the dreams alive, they may never eventuate but, it will give you the willingness to keep trying...!:)

Cheers
George

I meant visiting Australia. I've never been there and would love to visit sometime. Do you think I can fit in a LFRB and just mail myself there??? :wink:

I am currently on a project for the Kiwi's that has the possibility of travel. But, I would probably fly into Sydney on my way and I see that Adelaide is off to the west a ways, probably 700 miles as the crow flys. Oh well, I'll just have to invest in this friendship from afar!

robutacion

Congratulations Kelly.

And if you want to visit the spot where their brothers and sisters are still standing up, its only a few hundred meters from my place and the storage paddock,

Cheers
George

I meant visiting Australia. I've never been there and would love to visit sometime. Do you think I can fit in a LFRB and just mail myself there??? :wink:

I am currently on a project for the Kiwi's that has the possibility of travel. But, I would probably fly into Sydney on my way and I see that Adelaide is off to the west a ways, probably 700 miles as the crow flys. Oh well, I'll just have to invest in this friendship from afar!

Well mate, this is a big country with big distances between big cities however, you will always have me here to provide you with Aussie goodies some that many of the locals are missing out on.

Anyways, keep that dream alive, one day, you never know, things happen...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom