Mr. Anonymous Game #45 @ 11/09/2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jennera

Hmmm. I probably should read all the clues first but I am going to guess cherry plum for my first guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

robutacion

Hmmm. I probably should read all the clues first but I am going to guess cherry plum for my first guess.

Yeah, reading/interpreting all my clues would be the best place to start from.

Remember that if you see someone given the guess you were thinking off or believe is the right guess, you should always say it again loud and clear because you never know, you may get a prize...!:biggrin:

These tree species are not in the fruit tree family, sorry.

Cheers
George

jennera

Guess #3 will be Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress)*because it is getting late and I am stumped. [emoji2]

robutacion

Guess #3 will be Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress)*because it is getting late and I am stumped. [emoji2]

Sorry Jennera, 3 guesses and you are out, unfortunately, none of your answers were correct, the last one was sort of close that was it.

I know you are new to this and that you are learning, however, take a little more attention to my hints, I have been quite "obvious" but no one had worked it out...!:frown:

Is always a next time,

Cheers
George

robutacion

Cammon guys and gals, someone has to work it out, I said plenty already and to top it all up, I'm going to show you the pic of the 5 of these packs I have left, if you can work it out after this, I don't think you ever will, I hope I'm wrong...!

034-2.jpg

Cheers
George

robutacion

Cross cut liquid amber with insect holes and spalting .

Australians are a bit different than N Americans George . What you hate we may love and vice versa .

G'day Wayne,

Thank you for your "no time for this" guesses, most appreciated.

As for the guesses, sorry mate, ain't it...!:frown:

Oh, I know how Australians are "different" than Americans and or Canadians however, I have brought the issue up of certain woods that people don't want to know about and that I disagree in so many ways I can't count but, I understand why some people think that way and that is OK, I still disagree...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

jennera

Cross cut liquid amber with insect holes and spalting .

Australians are a bit different than N Americans George . What you hate we may love and vice versa .

I almost guessed that one.

George, next month I will try again! [emoji6]

Jennifer

MRDucks2

Complete answer for that one will be Radiata Pine thinking the black may be end-on of the blackish (resin?) streaks that appear as well as the apparent growth rings spacing.

Third and final attempt will be Norfolk Pine based on the comments about history and limited availability in Australia. It was only introduced in the 50's, evidently.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dehn0045

I'm with you Mike, I sanded the end grain of a 2x4 in the shop last night, the appearance was strikingly similar. I think the black dots are resin ducts (or resin canals), only present in conifers: Softwood Anatomy | The Wood Database . From what I can tell, George only has two conifers on the list, Radiata and Norfolk, but since Radiata is #13 and Norfolk is #58, I went with Radiata based on the other clues. I think I might go looking for a nice piece of construction lumber to cross-cut into pen blanks...

Whoops, didn't see Knotty pine -- a third possibility...

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Pine character

Hey, Sam -Not wanting to hijack the game thread, but a few months ago when I bought my first lathe and wanted to see if it would grab the gouge and beat me with it, I grabber some 2x2 bracing off a lawn mower pallet I save pieces from. The mower was made in Poland, the 2x2 is some sort of pine and the character was amazing as I turned it into a spindle and sanded with what I had at the time. It had a couple of small tight knots, a section of "dots" from the sapwood/bark area of it being small and sanded nicely. As George said, a wood we normally avoid but it has some character.

robutacion

I'm with you Mike, I sanded the end grain of a 2x4 in the shop last night, the appearance was strikingly similar. I think the black dots are resin ducts (or resin canals), only present in conifers: Softwood Anatomy | The Wood Database . From what I can tell, George only has two conifers on the list, Radiata and Norfolk, but since Radiata is #13 and Norfolk is #58, I went with Radiata based on the other clues. I think I might go looking for a nice piece of construction lumber to cross-cut into pen blanks...

Whoops, didn't see Knotty pine -- a third possibility...

In fact, I had more conifers the #25 Knotty pine that is on the list and a few others such as the Stone Pine, Sugar Pine and Ponderosa pine, these last 2 only in very small amounts.

I like Pines and I have made my opinion known for many years in these forums, the biggest mistake most people make is to think that is only one type of pine and that is the one you see in the lumber yards but that couldn't be further from the reality, some pines are very exquisite and quite rare.

Cheers
George

That's what I was thinking as well after reading all of the others, is that it's #13 Radiata Pine X or Cross Cut.
Good job, I think you guys nailed it especially with the (RV)Resin Veins.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

I suppose cypress is also a conifer, there are a couple of those on the list too. Similar end grain, but less defined resin canals/ducts/veins... As a side note - I got a piece of Hinoki (Japanese) Cypress from the "big boss" at work, he is from Japan. It has really tight growth rings, so I am thinking an end-grain pen might be just the ticket.

robutacion

I suppose cypress is also a conifer, there are a couple of those on the list too. Similar end grain, but less defined resin canals/ducts/veins... As a side note - I got a piece of Hinoki (Japanese) Cypress from the "big boss" at work, he is from Japan. It has really tight growth rings, so I am thinking an end-grain pen might be just the ticket.

Yes, Cypresses are conifers and I have also some, you're correct.
Most of the old growth pines and Cypresses are slow growers and can survive for many hundreds of years if left alone, however, and as any other tree species, going over their life expectancy it only can result and total self-destruction as the tree will die and self-rot still standing and this means a total waste of resources, that most "greens" will disagree and claim trees life forever...!

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that those old growth trees have very tight rings indeed one of the most recognised characteristics of those trees, is rare to find those tree our days, most are now living in reserves and Parks, this reminds me of the #34 Toona tree which is an old Cedar species that once live in the area (old plantation, no longer) the growth rings in some logs were almost touching each other, a beautiful contrast to faster growers and their wide rings, this particular tree was cut and stored by the old local mill owner, over 40 years ago, unfortunately the mill close down last year.

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is..?

Hi everybody,

I suppose, is time to announce the winner of this game. The first person that gave the correct answer was Dehn0045 on post #33 however, he has won the last #44 game, therefore, it could not be awarded 2 times in a raw, sorry.

It has taken many clues from me, even though I could see that you folks were struggling, I know that the way it looks is not what one can expect from the Radiata Pine but, it is what it is and I reckon, they look damn nice...!:biggrin:

So, MRDucks2 on post #57 has given me a close enough answer to make him the winner, his first win in these games, congrats...!

Thank you also to all those that participated, I try to make it educational and fun, I have no intention to make people pull their hairs out, that I would say is the price one pay for the resulting "excitement":eek::)

An if anyone is interested in any of these blanks either in cross or diagonal cut, I have 5 cross and 29 diagonal packs of 4 blanks at AU$5.00 per pack

Cheers
George

That's what I was thinking as well after reading all of the others, is that it's #13 Radiata Pine X or Cross Cut.

Well, those are not resin veins but, blue stain from spalting...!:wink:

Cheers
George

So it's a Spalted Cross Cut Radiata Pine with Yellow and/or Blue or A Radiata Pine SPXY&B? I'm starting to think it's Hills Weeping Fig diagonal cut with Sassafras...:biggrin:

robutacion

Cheers
George

So it's a Spalted Cross Cut Radiata Pine with Yellow and/or Blue or A Radiata Pine SPXY&B? I'm starting to think it's Hills Weeping Fig diagonal cut with Sassafras...:biggrin:

No no, is actually a #13X/spt-b (Radiata Pine cross cut/spalted-blue):biggrin:

Hills Weeping Fig diagonal cut with Sassafras does not offer the blue tint instead, it looks a lot more like a piece of S#!T on a spit :eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Cheers
George

Cheers
George

No no, is actually a #13X/spt-b (Radiata Pine cross cut/spalted-blue):biggrin:

I'll have to remember this part for later:)

Hills Weeping Fig diagonal cut with Sassafras does not offer the blue tint instead, it looks a lot more like a piece of S#!T on a spit :eek::biggrin:

This part, I'll have to see if I can somehow forget.:eek:

edicehouse

Cheers
George

Pat can I buy a vowel?

Hey Mr Duck, congrats bud. If it is too hard to pick out stuff, there are a lot who will be willing to help LOL!

Last edited:

robutacion

Cheers
George

Pat can I buy a vowel?

Hey Mr Duck, congrats bud. If it is too hard to pick out stuff, there are a lot who will be willing to help LOL!

No, the train has already left the station...!:)

Cheers
George

MRDucks2

Order Placed with George!

Well, Gang, I managed to place an order from georges-bits-of-timber all on my own, but I do appreciate the offers for help. NOW, I have to wait... may as well go make a pen, I guess. :)

robutacion

Well, Gang, I managed to place an order from georges-bits-of-timber all on my own, but I do appreciate the offers for help. NOW, I have to wait... may as well go make a pen, I guess. :)

See, I told you that you would manage...!:biggrin:

Well, I think that the time you have before the blanks get to you, you should use some of it to get your tools sharpened and ready...!:wink:

Cheers
George

MRDucks2

George - received the blanks from Georges Bits of Timber in Australia today. Simply stunning! Thanks for the gift pieces that rounded out the box.

If anyone has concerns about ordering from you, they should not because you obviously swing for the fence when stepping up to the plate. Small quantity shipping costs are also reasonable on your site.

Not only will buy some in the future, but happy to have made another "friend" down under (though the last two have ended up moving to the states).

Thank you, Sir.

robutacion

George - received the blanks from Georges Bits of Timber in Australia today. Simply stunning! Thanks for the gift pieces that rounded out the box.

If anyone has concerns about ordering from you, they should not because you obviously swing for the fence when stepping up to the plate. Small quantity shipping costs are also reasonable on your site.

Not only will buy some in the future, but happy to have made another "friend" down under (though the last two have ended up moving to the states).

Thank you, Sir.

You're most welcome:biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom