Mr. Anonymous Game #45 @ 11/09/2017 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members
 
Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,329
Photos: 4

Thumbs up Mr. Anonymous Game #45 @ 11/09/2017

G'day peoples,

Now that the Summer Extravaganza contests are over, let me continue the winning spree by offering another Mr.A game

So, what is the difficulty degree of this game...? some may find it very hard while others may see it as an easy answer, I, on the other hand, think that will be a challenge why..? because this is not something I see every day, in fact, these blanks, cut in cross and diagonal were processed many years ago, at the time I had too many so I put a big bunch in cardboard boxes and stored them away.

Over the years I forgot all about them until recently when I made a few extra shelves in the lolly-shop so I decided that was time to go through those boxes and see what I had in there. Most were shorts but these 2 boxes had these blanks that have changed considerably since processed, there is a black coating through the wood, some sort of spalting or stain and I found it interesting and in many ways quite pretty so, I turned one of the blanks as a sample and decided to use it as the game subject of today.

The question is very simple;

How would you "specify"/identify this blank...? or, wood species, cut, etc...!

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

You have 3 guesses to post, one guess per post, please...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg   006.jpg   005.jpg   004.jpg   001.jpg  

__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/

Last edited by robutacion; 09-11-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Adding condition
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Skeleton2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lynnwood, WA. USA
Posts: 479
Photos: 4

Default

Australian Silky Oak Tree Wood, Raw Pen Blank, Straight Cut
Jeff
Skeleton2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,329
Photos: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton2014 View Post
Australian Silky Oak Tree Wood, Raw Pen Blank, Straight Cut
Jeff
Na, sorry mate, a long way away...!

Cheers
George
__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
stuckinohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 1,164
Photos: 3

Default

Australian Buloke - aka bulloak. Cross and diagonal cut.
__________________
Lewis
stuckinohio is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winfield, PA
Posts: 1,380
Photos: 76

Default

Chinaberry, raw, crosscut

Karl
Karl_99 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
edicehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,177
Photos: 0

Default

I personally would identify that blank as "The F'in awesome crosscut blank I got from George in Australia with a bunch of black poka dots on it".
__________________
27 time Buffalo Wild Wings Challenge Winner
2 time Wild wing Challenge Winner
Likes: (1)
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,329
Photos: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
I personally would identify that blank as "The F'in awesome crosscut blank I got from George in Australia with a bunch of black poka dots on it".
Interesting what you said, in fact, "poka dots" is a nice term for it, however, you would be able to say that you got it from George's in Australia why...? simply because I have never sold or had for sale these exact blanks, not the ones with the black stuff, have you ever had any of these before they got like this...? I don't think so, most people turn their nose around its name, however, I have had demonstrated in the past, how sometimes they can produce outstanding results...!

They were processed about 9 years ago, I've got a few packs, I may offer them for sale after the game is over and done with.

Cheers
George
__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
edicehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,177
Photos: 0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
I personally would identify that blank as "The F'in awesome crosscut blank I got from George in Australia with a bunch of black poka dots on it".
Interesting what you said, in fact, "poka dots" is a nice term for it, however, you would be able to say that you got it from George's in Australia why...? simply because I have never sold or had for sale these exact blanks, not the ones with the black stuff, have you ever had any of these before they got like this...? I don't think so, most people turn their nose around its name, however, I have had demonstrated in the past, how sometimes they can produce outstanding results...!

They were processed about 9 years ago, I've got a few packs, I may offer them for sale after the game is over and done with.

Cheers
George
You asked how would I identify this blank. If I was identifying it, it means I have it.
__________________
27 time Buffalo Wild Wings Challenge Winner
2 time Wild wing Challenge Winner
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,329
Photos: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
I personally would identify that blank as "The F'in awesome crosscut blank I got from George in Australia with a bunch of black poka dots on it".
Interesting what you said, in fact, "poka dots" is a nice term for it, however, you would be able to say that you got it from George's in Australia why...? simply because I have never sold or had for sale these exact blanks, not the ones with the black stuff, have you ever had any of these before they got like this...? I don't think so, most people turn their nose around its name, however, I have had demonstrated in the past, how sometimes they can produce outstanding results...!

They were processed about 9 years ago, I've got a few packs, I may offer them for sale after the game is over and done with.

Cheers
George
You asked how would I identify this blank. If I was identifying it, it means I have it.
OK, you've got me lost and we will find out soon what it is, however, I'm most puzzled when you say I got it and I wonder if I have put one of them as a gift with the last order I sent you, I don't remember I already forgot what I had for dinner, I'm that forgetful so anything is possible, I know that when I found them they were not in packs, they were loose in the box and I seem to recall to have had a couple extra, one that I had put a side for making a sample out off and the other's can be anywhere, including your house, at least one, I don't know...!

If you have if, you will be able to see what the wood species number is so, keep it for yourself, I really want to see if anyone can recognise the sample...!

Cheers
George
__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 54
Photos: 0

Default

I would describe the wood as being "curly"based on the tiger stripe pattern. Looking through your timbers list, #8 curly gum is my first guess.
ajollydds is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Content Copyright © 2003-2016 by Penturners.org, LLC; All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Service   Acceptable Use Policy