Mr. Anonymous Game #44 @ 17/08/2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, I have another game for you all, new and old...!:biggrin:

Some time ago, I cut and processed some slabs from a tree species that are relative to one other tree species that is very typical to South Australia but this one has been identified as having its own gene and therefore was given a different name to the more common one.

These are quite rare, dense and heavy wood.

Attached you will see pics of one of the logs I slabbed still in progress with some close-up images for better viewing.

I suppose, the obvious question is;

What is the common name this tree species was given..?

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 101_0060v.jpg
    101_0060v.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 101_0059v.jpg
    101_0059v.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 101_0056.jpg
    101_0056.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 101_0061_(1).jpg
    101_0061_(1).jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 101_0063v.jpg
    101_0063v.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Herb G

Well, I have another game for you all, new and old...!:biggrin:

Some time ago, I cut and processed some slabs from a tree species that are relative to one other tree species that is very typical to South Australia but this one has been identified as having its own gene and therefore was given a different name to the more common one.

These are quite rare, dense and heavy wood.

Attached you will see pics of one of the logs I slabbed still in progress with some close-up images for better viewing.

I suppose, the obvious question is;

What is the common name this tree species was given..?

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

I think the tree you speak of is a Jarrah tree, which is a member of the Myrtle family.
Eucalyptus marginata

Last edited:

robutacion

[QUOTEI think the tree you speak of is a Jarrah tree, which is a member of the Myrtle family.
Eucalyptus marginata[/QUOTE]

Sorry but that would be incorrect...!

You may not be very familiar with Jarrah but, the wood is very dark brown while this one is more redish...!

Try again.

Cheers
George

robutacion

Ok so, I see some very interesting guesses and some that are a long way out.

The first clue I gave was when I said that I cut and processed these logs so it means that the wood would be one of my timbers list.

The second guess is when I say that this tree species and its relatives are rare but typical of South Australia so, it couldn't possibly be an exotic species that does not exist/grow in Australia

With that said, it should be a little easier to work out what it is, huh..?:biggrin:

As anyone got it right...? I don't know, you tell me...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

robutacion

I had a look through the timber list & my guess would be that someone has already got it right :)
If they haven't then i would be wrong as well lol

G'day Martin,

I let you out on a secret, with these games, I always advise people to put their guess down even if someone else has already guessed it first, why...? because, I'm always interested in seeing how close each member get but more importantly, sometimes, I decide to give double prices and unless your guess is on, it won't count...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: Each member can give 3 guesses, all in different posts.

Cheers
George

edicehouse

1- Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress) limb/branch timber – X & Z cut
2- Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress)root/butt timber – X & Z cut

3- Pink/Rose Gum – X & Z – S/P (special)

4- Blue River Gum – X & Z

5- Yellow Gum – X & Z

6- Red Gum – X & Z

7- Spotted Gum trunk – – X & Z Spotted Gum Root (burl look) - #7R

8- Curly/Twisted Gum – X & Z

9- Colonial Red Gum (very dark brown) – X-Z -B (burl)-S(special)

10- Poplar – X & Z

11- Liquid Amber – X & Z

12- Willow – X & Z

13- Radiata Pine – X & Z,(BE birds eye),(RV resin veined),(Y&B yellow & Blue), (W white)

14- She/Bull-oak – X & Z

15- Holly Oak – X & Z

16- Black Wattle – 16a(heartwood, only),Dx(2 halves), X & Z , S/P (special)

17- Silver Wattle – X & Z

18- Golden Wattle – X & Z,S (stabilized), S/P, S/P-Z, S/P-X

19- Almond tree – X & Z – O (old wood), B (burl)

20- Wild olive (brighter yellows, less and light browns) – X & Z

21- Majestic Olive (A1++, A1, A2 grades) – X & Z

22- Old Olive Root (burl look a like)

23- Melaleuca – X & Z

24- Cork tree – X & Z

25- Knotty (knotted) Pine – X & Z

26- Platypus Gum – X & Z, B (burl)

27- White Wattle (not Silver Wattle) – X & Z

28- Flame wood - ST(straight cut, only)

29- Lucerne Tree - ST(straight cut, only)

30- Bottle Brush trunk/limbs and Root(Banksia sub-species)-B/T/R

31- Palm Tree - ST(straight cut, only)

32- Orange Acacia (Tulipwood look a like) – X & Z

33- Tortuosa/CorkScrew Willow (AKA BT)– X & Z, B(blue), N(new cut), O(old cut), BL(burl)

34- Toona Tree – Australia Cedar (aged) – X & Z

35- ST (Small Tree)– X & Z not yet identified…!

36- Cootamundra Wattle– X & Z

37- Australian Pear Tree (planted in 1890) – X & Z

38- Australian White Gum – X & Z

39- Australian Eucalyptus Peninsularis (oil producer) – X & Z

40- Australian Ash – X & Z

41- Australian Cherry Plum – X & Z

42- Camphor Laurel tree wood– X & Z

43- White Ironbark – Eucalyptus leucoxylon (Yellow Gum sub-species)– X & Z

44- South Australia Shiraz red Vine wood (approx. 40 years old)

45- Banksia "Hairy" pods (from my own yard)

46- Australian Lady Apple tree – X & Z

47- Stone Acacia (very old wood) – X & Z

48- Tasmanian Blue Gum

49- Australian Casuarina tree (She Oaks family)

50- Australian Apricot Tree wood (old fruit tree)

51- Australian Silky-Oak wood (old wood) – X & Z

52- Australian Walnut tree (from a local ex-walnut farm) – X & Z

53- Australian Blackwood tree (found locally) – X &Z

54- Australian Peach wood (old fruit tree)

55- Australian Mulberry – X & Z

56- Australian Grevillia bush – X & Z

57- Australian Peppercorn tree – X & Z

58- Norfolk Pine tree – X & Z

59- Australian Cypress (aged) – X & Z

60- American Oak (from barrels used by local winery to cure Port) – X & Z

61- French Oak (from barrels used by local winery to cure Port) – X(slightly shorter)& Z

62- Australian Fig tree wood – X & Z

63- Earleaf Acacia– X & Z

64- Acacia Acuminate (Raspberry jam tree)

65- Australian Sugar Gum

66- Australian Swamp Mallet Gum tree – – X & Z

67- Carob tree wood– X & Z

68- Pine Bark

69- Japanese Flowering tree – X & Z

70- Coral tree– X & Z

71- Australian Prune tree wood – X & Z

72- Australian Granny Smith Apple tree wood (aged) – X & Z

73- White wood (not yet identified…!)–X & Z

74- Australian McIntosh Apple tree wood– X & Z

75- Australian Lemon tree wood

76- Australian SA Ironwood (not yet identified…!)

77- Loquat tree wood (old tree from town next door)

78- Scarlet Kunzea shrub wood (Australian-WA native, lived next door/in town)

79- CotonEaster Berry tree (AKA-Red fruit small bunches tree )

80- Small green fruit/nut tree (not yet identified)

81- Eucalyptus Dura

82- Australian Rock-Oak (#49 Casuarina relative)

83-Tasmanian Oak-burl

84- Beakpod Eucalyptus

85- Chinaberry tree wood

86- Scribbly Gum

87- Red Ironbark

88- Brown Mahogany

89- Dwarf Cypress (ornamental small cypress tree)

90- Tree of Haven

91- Ivory white tree wood (not yet identified)

92- Lilly-Pilly tree wood

93- Greenish tree wood (not yet identified

94- Live-Oak tree wood

95- Some type of Oak (not yet identified)

96- Japanese Elm tree

K you said you get 3 guesses in different posts. So here is my first guess in one post.

robutacion

: K you said you get 3 guesses in different posts. So here is my first guess in one post.

Hey, hey Mr. Smarty pants...! the question was for a single tree species so, 1 tree species name per post, thank you...!:eek:

By the way, now that you used the whole timbers list, what are going to use for your second and third guesses...?:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Haha, not sure how I managed it but I posted in the wrong bit lol

Red Ironbark would have been my guess George but knowing absolutely nothing about trees in general & even less about Australian I am probably completely wrong

robutacion

And the winner is..?

Congratulation Dehn0045, you got it absolutely right on your post #5 and then confirmed in post #6, the link you provided from my web-store item description did explain what this timber is and how come about.

I'm pleased to see that you are a fairly new player to these games and that you had no hesitation in giving it a go, I can also see that you know how to search stuff.

As the winner, you get an AU$100.00 gift vouchers from me, sponsored by Mr Anonimous, to be claimed at my web-store You have 90 days to claim your prize, don't forget to read the prize claiming criteria, explained on the first post.

As for all the other game participants, thank you very much for your collaboration, I try to give each game a dose of educative material so I hope that, you learn a little bit from it.

Thank you also to Mr.A for supporting this game and allow me to share woods/blanks from my "stables" so, once more, thank you...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Dehn0045

Thanks George! Being fairly new to IAP and penturning, I haven't played often. Usually I am either too slow or unable to come up with a reasonable answer (this doesn't seem to stop some - you know who you are!). This time I thought for sure that I had won, I initially was thinking it was something to do with the She/bull oak, but when I searched your site I stumbled on the Rock Oak. But then when nobody confirmed my guess I was starting to worry, I was like "oh crap maybe it's Myrtle Beech" (just kidding :)). Anyway, I really have fun with your games. I usually get lost in some corner of the internet where I never would have traveled otherwise. The part of penturning that I enjoy the most is using and collecting unusual and beautiful wood. I tell people that I am a "wood collector that makes pens". I will definitely put the voucher to good use!

Top Bottom