Mr. Anonymous Game #43 @ 18/07/2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Time for our monthly game and this time, it will be about wood identification, the wood is from my stables and part of the timbers list.

This wood is native to Australia and fairly common in this area.

There are 3 questions and they are as follow;

1- What is the common name of this tree species...!

2- Within these tree species, I classify the wood as "old" or "new", which one is the one showing in the pics..?

3- Old or new, why...?

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I think this could be golden wattle, old type because it has spalted to some extent but not been stabilized because it was cut when fresh and is still robust.
Old because this tree has some history to it, perhaps of the kind referred to in another thread of yours I've seen today

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

edicehouse

I sell 2 main varieties of Golden Wattle, the #18-N (new trees, more vivid reds) and the #18-O the Older trees (in age), reds transform into brows as the trees age, this listing is for the New trees wood...!

I am going OLD because I would say that is more browns than vivid reds.

If it is deemed I win, I will pass, because I won a couple rounds ago.

Last edited:

robutacion

Wow, have I lost my touch or something...?:frown:

Only a couple of members bothered..? they both have won recently so, I would like to give the prize to someone new (I'm sure the previous winners will agree...!:wink:) so, and as a result, I would like to add a 4th question so that other members can have a chance to the prize.

So, this is the additional question.

4 - Woods such as the Golden Wattle and any other Acacia species, can become extremely difficult to cut, blades are known to smoke and get blunt in no time, what is in the wood that causes this to happen...?

PS: The first guess by DJBPenmaker is partially incorrect, the only historical aspect of these trees is that they symbolise this South Australia State, however, edicehouse's guess is spot on and I'm amazed at how he found and used my own words to describe the 2 types this wood offers (new and old), well-done mate...!:wink::biggrin:

Let's play folks...!

Cheers
George

DJBPenmaker

Actually the history/ interest I was referring to was the following in your listing for this wood.

"These blanks were processed from an old Golden Wattle tree that was planted next to the car park of the shopping centre built in the 70's in my next town of McLaren vale that we........."
and the interesting story that followed.

I don't know why more members are not playing maybe it's to do with holidays etc. I find it really good fun doing a little detective work and learning about different woods at the same time. Of course I've already got the answer to your 4th question and so I won't post it here.
Btw the new game has served as a reminder to claim my prize from last month's game. [emoji5]

Herb G

1. Golden wattle.
2. It's old (as established above.)
3. Because that fact was established as above too.

4. High silica content will dull blades quickly.

Last edited:

robutacion

Actually the history/ interest I was referring to was the following in your listing for this wood.

"These blanks were processed from an old Golden Wattle tree that was planted next to the car park of the shopping centre built in the 70's in my next town of McLaren vale that we........."
and the interesting story that followed.

I don't know why more members are not playing maybe it's to do with holidays etc. I find it really good fun doing a little detective work and learning about different woods at the same time. Of course I've already got the answer to your 4th question and so I won't post it here.
Btw the new game has served as a reminder to claim my prize from last month's game. [emoji5]

Yeah, now you're talking...!:biggrin:

Yes, that was one of the few Golden Wattles I processed in these last 11 years, and yes, that was a very interesting tree story that I had to tell, again, historical..? not really, was one of many trees planted in that car park all those years back, it had absolutely no value to anyone local, not even for firewood up here, unless is Red Gum, people won't care however, and as I said, it was one of the trees that I manage to get the full story of which I got involved in the end and still today, some people are enjoying the blanks/wood that came from it.

There has been a couple more of these trees I cut/salvaged since that one, every tree is slightly different, mostly due to age, either live time and/or since dead and in contact with moist soil, fungi works very fast on it...!

So, in fact, Golden Wattle "old" wood may not have much to do with the age/time lived of the tree but, how long the tree has been dead for and how much decay it has.

I have a good example for you that I sliced up yesterday at the wood storage paddock and in between showers of rains (has been for a few days).

These are a couple of large logs (for a Golden Wattle tree) that I got from the firewood processing plant a few months back, the tree was live when cut even though it was over 50 years old from it growth, I know that is was dump there not long before I found it so, I got some of the biggest logs to process at later time however, I had a fellow that asked me for some decent slab sizes of the Golden Wattle with the vivid reds in it and I knew that these logs were ideal to get what he wanted but before I processed it, I cut a log into 2 and then sliced one log so that I could take pics for him to see.

These are 2 of the pics I sent him, the wood is not dry but it won't take long to dry to workable stages, this wood is fairly soft and therefore dries fast, it helps if you keep it under cover and not in the rain as I have, however, I brought home the 2 halves, one was processed for this fellow and the other half was cut into 2 square blanks and put to dry.

001.JPG
002.JPG

I also appreciate that you haven't mention the answer of question 4, it gives the chance to someone else, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Herb G

1. Golden wattle.
2. It's old (as established above.)
3. Because that fact was established as above too.

4. High silica content will dull blades quickly.

G'day mate,

You need to clarify the answers 2 and 3...!

Cheers
George
2. It's old because it seems to have oxidized to a darker color, like a lot of the rosewood family does. Fresh cut seems to be brighter & have more vivid colors.
3. I can see it has more brown than red colors in the pics shown.

I believe the darkening of the wood is caused by exposure to UV rays from the Sun.
A lot of the red woods like Bloodwood, Redheart, etc. darken with Sun exposure.

I think "old" and "aged" are being used interchangeably here. Just because it's aged doesn't necessarily mean it's an "Old" tree to begin with.
I hope that makes sense to you.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

+1 for silica

Hi,

What is your interpretation of questions 1 to 3..?

Cheers
George

1. Golden Wattle
2. Old
3. Age of tree and/or time since cutting (I assume this is essentially a form of spalting)
4. Well, I said silica, but now I am questioning everything. I tried to do some research to find supporting information and found that common wisdom supports the claim but scientific literature contradicts (or at least does not support). This study https://eurekamag.com/pdf.php?pdf=004159366 is one example. Also, this article Sand in wood? Fact or Fiction? disagrees with silica being the primary contributor. That said, most of the common wisdom out there says that silica and other mineral content is the main cause of tool dulling or blunting. Unfortunately there isn't much funding for this type of research, just finding silica content of different woods is more difficult than I thought it would be. So I guess my answer is "silica?".

Terredax

Banned
1-Golden Wattle/Acacia pycnantha. It's part of the Fabaceae family.
2-Old. Or seasoned as some refer to it.
3-More browns than the reds, from exposure.
4-The tree secretes gum. The gum will cause heat build-up and dulls blades quickly.

robutacion

1-Golden Wattle/Acacia pycnantha. It's part of the Fabaceae family.
2-Old. Or seasoned as some refer to it.
3-More browns than the reds, from exposure.
4-The tree secretes gum. The gum will cause heat build-up and dulls blades quickly.

G'day,

First, let me clarify something about the brown and red colours in this wood, Golden Wattles when growing have vivid reds stripes in the wood, contrary to many other woods that Oxidise with simple air exposure, the reds on this woods can be "preserved" if the wood is processed fresh, the red colour will maintain for years even if in raw farm but, kept away from weather and moist soil, why...?

Well, what transforms the reds into browns are mainly 3 things, first, the tree has to be dead for some time, and continued to be exposed to the weather, this normally happens when the tree dies still standing however, the fastest way to get those colours changes is when, the tree dies and falls into soil that has plenty of moisture, such as the country around here.

Is this case, and within a single year, the wood on the ground turns colours and then the fungi creates the black strips, more known as spalting, making it rot in no time at all. Termites don't like it much but, there is one large type of wood borer that attacks it pretty bad, this one wood bug.jpg

So, getting this wood at the right time, right age and right conditions, you have a pretty red that stays as is, capish...?:biggrin:

Yes, diseased Golden Wattles produce a gooey resin that transforms into a type of hard rubber that one can use to make glue with when I was a kid I had some fun with it, however, from other tree species that were native to that area/country.

Those "resins" do not blunt the blades, if anything if you cut through a soft pocket, the blade gets pretty gummed out, it can be messy...!:eek:

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is..?

Well, I gave plenty of time for members to participate and make some adjustments in their answers, in the end the first person that completed the 4 questions was Herb G so congratulations mate, you've got the prize that I see you were quite excited about...!:biggrin:

You know the "drill", you will get the voucher code in a PM soon...!

I apologise to DJBPenmaker and edicehouse for "passing" on their answers due to the prize they both won in recent times, for the next time, I will count your answers and everyone else's...!:)

For all those that participated in this game, maybe the next time however, I appreciate greatly your participation in these games, thank you.

I've got no idea what the next game will be about, I will think of something, for sure.:wink:

Cheers
George

DJBPenmaker

George, I've no problem being 'frozen out' in this round. I just enjoy the riddles, the challenge of solving them and learning a little at the same. I'd play along even if there were no prize.
Well done Herb G.

edicehouse

Well, I gave plenty of time for members to participate and make some adjustments in their answers, in the end the first person that completed the 4 questions was Herb G so congratulations mate, you've got the prize that I see you were quite excited about...!:biggrin:

I apologise to DJBPenmaker and edicehouse for "passing" on their answers due to the prize they both won in recent times, for the next time, I will count your answers and everyone else's...!:)

For all those that participated in this game, maybe the next time however, I appreciate greatly your participation in these games, thank you.

I've got no idea what the next game will be about, I will think of something, for sure.:wink:

Cheers
George

George,
If ya saw in my post after I answered, I said I would "pass" reguardless. I just really enjoy these contests and they often give me a mental break from what I am doing at work. Considering 99% of the time my answers were so far from being even close to correct, I feel pretty good.

robutacion

George, I've no problem being 'frozen out' in this round. I just enjoy the riddles, the challenge of solving them and learning a little at the same. I'd play along even if there were no prize.
Well done Herb G.

Thanks mate, I knew you would be OK with it.

Your participation is always welcome.

Cheers
George

robutacion

Cheers
George

George,
If ya saw in my post after I answered, I said I would "pass" reguardless. I just really enjoy these contests and they often give me a mental break from what I am doing at work. Considering 99% of the time my answers were so far from being even close to correct, I feel pretty good.

Yes Ed, I saw your post and you stating that you would pass if the answers were correct, however, I thought reasonable that I would make the public notice and acknowledge the situation, I knew that you were OK with it...!

Is great news that you are starting to "work out" my questions and get closer to the correct answers, that means that you may be taking a bit of a closer attention to what I say/write here and I appreciate that.

Cheers
George

robutacion

Thank you for the gift. It made a great birthday gift, and I sincerely appreciate it.
It is definitely a learning experience.

You're most welcome, it was nice to know it worked as a birthday present...!

I try to make these games "educative" and pass on the knowledge I gathered all these years, share them is a lot better than taking them to the grave, it would serve no one's purpose, then...!:wink:

Have fun selecting your blanks.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom