Mr. Anonymous Game #43 @ 18/07/2017 - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 4

1-Golden Wattle/Acacia pycnantha. It's part of the Fabaceae family.
2-Old. Or seasoned as some refer to it.
3-More browns than the reds, from exposure.
4-The tree secretes gum. The gum will cause heat build-up and dulls blades quickly.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terredax View Post
1-Golden Wattle/Acacia pycnantha. It's part of the Fabaceae family.
2-Old. Or seasoned as some refer to it.
3-More browns than the reds, from exposure.
4-The tree secretes gum. The gum will cause heat build-up and dulls blades quickly.
G'day,

First, let me clarify something about the brown and red colours in this wood, Golden Wattles when growing have vivid reds stripes in the wood, contrary to many other woods that Oxidise with simple air exposure, the reds on this woods can be "preserved" if the wood is processed fresh, the red colour will maintain for years even if in raw farm but, kept away from weather and moist soil, why...?

Well, what transforms the reds into browns are mainly 3 things, first, the tree has to be dead for some time, and continued to be exposed to the weather, this normally happens when the tree dies still standing however, the fastest way to get those colours changes is when, the tree dies and falls into soil that has plenty of moisture, such as the country around here.

Is this case, and within a single year, the wood on the ground turns colours and then the fungi creates the black strips, more known as spalting, making it rot in no time at all. Termites don't like it much but, there is one large type of wood borer that attacks it pretty bad, this one wood-bug.jpg

So, getting this wood at the right time, right age and right conditions, you have a pretty red that stays as is, capish...?

Yes, diseased Golden Wattles produce a gooey resin that transforms into a type of hard rubber that one can use to make glue with when I was a kid I had some fun with it, however, from other tree species that were native to that area/country.

Those "resins" do not blunt the blades, if anything if you cut through a soft pocket, the blade gets pretty gummed out, it can be messy...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 18

So who won this? Or has it been won yet?

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

Default And the winner is..?

Well, I gave plenty of time for members to participate and make some adjustments in their answers, in the end the first person that completed the 4 questions was Herb G so congratulations mate, you've got the prize that I see you were quite excited about...!

You know the "drill", you will get the voucher code in a PM soon...!

I apologise to DJBPenmaker and edicehouse for "passing" on their answers due to the prize they both won in recent times, for the next time, I will count your answers and everyone else's...!

For all those that participated in this game, maybe the next time however, I appreciate greatly your participation in these games, thank you.

I've got no idea what the next game will be about, I will think of something, for sure.

Cheers
George

Old 07-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 0

George, I've no problem being 'frozen out' in this round. I just enjoy the riddles, the challenge of solving them and learning a little at the same. I'd play along even if there were no prize.
Well done Herb G.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DJBPenmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Well, I gave plenty of time for members to participate and make some adjustments in their answers, in the end the first person that completed the 4 questions was Herb G so congratulations mate, you've got the prize that I see you were quite excited about...!

I apologise to DJBPenmaker and edicehouse for "passing" on their answers due to the prize they both won in recent times, for the next time, I will count your answers and everyone else's...!

For all those that participated in this game, maybe the next time however, I appreciate greatly your participation in these games, thank you.

I've got no idea what the next game will be about, I will think of something, for sure.

Cheers
George
George,
If ya saw in my post after I answered, I said I would "pass" reguardless. I just really enjoy these contests and they often give me a mental break from what I am doing at work. Considering 99% of the time my answers were so far from being even close to correct, I feel pretty good.
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Thank you for the gift. It made a great birthday gift, and I sincerely appreciate it.
It is definitely a learning experience.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBPenmaker View Post
George, I've no problem being 'frozen out' in this round. I just enjoy the riddles, the challenge of solving them and learning a little at the same. I'd play along even if there were no prize.
Well done Herb G.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, I knew you would be OK with it.

Your participation is always welcome.

Cheers
George

Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post

Cheers
George
George,
If ya saw in my post after I answered, I said I would "pass" reguardless. I just really enjoy these contests and they often give me a mental break from what I am doing at work. Considering 99% of the time my answers were so far from being even close to correct, I feel pretty good.
Yes Ed, I saw your post and you stating that you would pass if the answers were correct, however, I thought reasonable that I would make the public notice and acknowledge the situation, I knew that you were OK with it...!

Is great news that you are starting to "work out" my questions and get closer to the correct answers, that means that you may be taking a bit of a closer attention to what I say/write here and I appreciate that.

Cheers
George

Old 07-21-2017, 01:09 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb G View Post
Thank you for the gift. It made a great birthday gift, and I sincerely appreciate it.
It is definitely a learning experience.
You're most welcome, it was nice to know it worked as a birthday present...!

I try to make these games "educative" and pass on the knowledge I gathered all these years, share them is a lot better than taking them to the grave, it would serve no one's purpose, then...!

Have fun selecting your blanks.

Cheers
George

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads