Mr. Anonymous Game #42 @ 16/06/2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Geezz, time flies...! :eek:

Some time ago, I was talking about a particular type of tree that tends to "swallow" anything that is close enough to it, with time, the tree overgrows around the item "engulfing" it to a point where you may never know or see that the tree as eaten (see bellow)
PIC00241.JPGPIC00240.JPG
so, the questions are these;

*1- What is the common name of this type tree and, if is part of my "timbers List", what number have I gave it...?:)

*2- What is the item this tree is "eating"...?

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

1. It is called the X-wife. You gave it the number 666.
2. The tree is "eating" the hopes and dreams of any man who has one.

Ouch, I once had one of those...!:frown:

However, I still have hopes and dreams, sometimes nightmares:wink:...!

The width/cross of this three is 4' (feet) and similar view can be seen on the other end but this time, it continues for another 5'...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

:confused:Even though I have no clue to your questions I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you. Wait, I would guess the tree is eating a piece of metal. Do I win??

Well, I did actually mention this tree and what has been happening over the years on one of my older threads, I couldn't find the pics then nor I ever found them since so, I went to that location to take another couple of pics. I was about 4 years later and I could see how much more it ate.

Yes, the item is metal and is found normally in front of houses...!:eek:

I appreciate your comments, thanks.:)

Cheers
George

robutacion

Peppercorn tree, fence, #57 ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OK so, what made you think that the Peppercorn tree, an invasive species in Australia, is capable of doing such a thing...?

Are you sure...? you still have another guess.:)

PS: what is happening with everybody else...??? no one wants to play..?

Cheers
George

Last edited:

ajollydds

I'll venture a guess, or three.

1. Eating a fence. The shape reminds me of a slide from a trombone.

2. Tree type guesses:
Willow-12
Cork tree-24
Tortuosa-33

I would add a clever response but I can't top Ed's. Thanks for making me laugh.

~Ankur

robutacion

Knotty Pine #25 eating a fence or bike rack

Sorry, it ain't any kind of Pine and any of those items this tree can eat without any problems, I have found all sorts of things in them and I've destroyed many chainsaw chains and bandsaw blades as a result, the last one I had a steel peg and a couple feet above, a damn shoe horse that messed up my brand new 26" chain into an unusable/unrepairable state.

The problem with these "ornamental" type trees in people's backyards are a magnum for hanging all sorts of things on them and "shove" "STUFF" on the trees forks at lower level, nails, screws and steel pins are left behind and the bigger stuff is forgotten, years later, they are gone/disappeared...!:eek::mad:

Uncle George has a natural ability to find these things with his tools...!:mad:

Cheers
George

robutacion

I'll venture a guess, or three.

1. Eating a fence. The shape reminds me of a slide from a trombone.

2. Tree type guesses:
Willow-12
Cork tree-24
Tortuosa-33

I would add a clever response but I can't top Ed's. Thanks for making me laugh.

~Ankur

You've got the tree species all wrong sorry but, you are correct about what looks like, it could have been but is not...!

As for topping up Ed's "responses", you would surprise yourself with the stuff you could come up with if you tried...!:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

DJBPenmaker

OK so, what made you think that the Peppercorn tree, an invasive species in Australia, is capable of doing such a thing...?

Are you sure...? you still have another guess.[emoji2]

Cheers
George
Well the bark matches up and after research the tree is actually capable of this and finally I'm not one who's going to disagree with a tree expert like yourself so rightly or wrongly I think I'll stick with my answer.

robutacion

Olive #21 eating the garden gate

Hahahah, no your answer is incorrect but let me tell you something, there are no other tree species in Australia with as much fence wire inside of them as the Olive trees, why...? because in the old days our European colonizers started by planting Olive trees as fence boundaries and later, wire fences were erected between these trees as if they were fence posts and off-course, after many years, the wires wrapped around the trees trunks started to become embedded in the trees were only the wires coming out of it are/were visible.

I can still today find many of these Olive trees with wires coming out of them and if they were spikes:eek::wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Are you sure...? you still have another guess.[emoji2]

Cheers
George
Well the bark matches up and after research the tree is actually capable of this and finally I'm not one who's going to disagree with a tree expert like yourself so rightly or wrongly I think I'll stick with my answer.

Well, I'm glad you are happy with your second guess, as for the "tree expert" I know a little, however, far from being an expert but, thank you...!:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

I'll try one shot.

Eucalyptus, fence and No. While, you do have the Dura, Beakpod, White Ironbark and the Peninsularis listed, I don't think this particular species is on your list.

I doubt this is right, but it's fun to try.

Karl_99

I think DJBPenmaker may be right with Peppercorn #57 as George did not say he was wrong...he challenged why he thought it was Peppercorn. That is not an unusual move by George to let others still play.

robutacion

She-Bull Oak (#14) eating a fence

G'day mate,

Not a good choice, why...? because that wood is pretty much a slow growing tree that doesn't have what we know as sapwood, the whole thing is heartwood and then the bark that is thin and roughly "scaled", in this case, if planted too close to a metal/wood/etc. structure, the tree would grow pushing against that structure as it grows, bend and continue up. Only trees that are super fast growing with lots of soft juicy sapwood are capable of growing over things...!

PS: You are correct mate, I like to give everybody a chance to play, regardless...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I'll try one shot.

Eucalyptus, fence and No. While, you do have the Dura, Beakpod, White Ironbark and the Peninsularis listed, I don't think this particular species is on your list.

I doubt this is right, but it's fun to try.

Hi,

You've got the fence right but the rest is incorrect, including the fact that, the tree species in question is indeed listed on my Timber List...!

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

Olive #21 eating the garden gate

Hahahah, no your answer is incorrect but let me tell you something, there are no other tree species in Australia with as much fence wire inside of them as the Olive trees, why...? because in the old days our European colonizers started by planting Olive trees as fence boundaries and later, wire fences were erected between these trees as if they were fence posts and off-course, after many years, the wires wrapped around the trees trunks started to become embedded in the trees were only the wires coming out of it are/were visible.

I can still today find many of these Olive trees with wires coming out of them and if they were spikes:eek::wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George
Well George , in my part of Alberta , it is the aspen poplar trees that eat the fence wire and the staples . Of course , as farmers we know that a living post will outlast a dead one , and doesn`t have to be treated with bluestone to extend its life , so they were frequently utilized when a fence had to run through a patch of brush . I doubt they were commonly planted next to a house fence here though , because they sucker like crazy .
. Don`t think you have the aspen in Australia , but I know you`ve cut a lot of the white and black ones , as is evidenced by it appearing early on your list as number 10 .

edicehouse

Okay I will officially say
Fence #10 Poplar.

I say Poplar because the bark looks like it, and I remember as a kid in Upstate NY those things were trash trees. I did a science experiment as a kid if I would take a limb of it and plant it, if it would grow. I already knew the answer, because we would use them for stakes when we planted other trees.

robutacion

Okay I will officially say
Fence #10 Poplar.

I say Poplar because the bark looks like it, and I remember as a kid in Upstate NY those things were trash trees. I did a science experiment as a kid if I would take a limb of it and plant it, if it would grow. I already knew the answer, because we would use them for stakes when we planted other trees.

Wrong tree species, sorry.

As an intrusive type tree species, Poplar trees can grow from any off-cuts branches the one thing they can not do without in plenty of water, if the ground is dry, they won't survive long.

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is..?

Hi peoples,

We have a winner, our friend Derek (DJBPenmaker) go it right on his second guess and post #9, congratulation mate, you deserve the win...!:biggrin:

Peppercorn trees are pretty and provide nice shade however, they can be a big problem if planted too close to "things" or "things" are put/built too close to it.

The tree's natural milky sap allows for a very fast growth particularly after the tree has established itself well something that will take as little as 10 to 15 years, after that, large "sacks" start to develop at the tree base and the main trunk, those sacks harden and become what we know as burls, a different kind of burl but burls, nevertheless...!

The tree species number on my timbers list is, in fact, the #57 and the item being eaten is the house front fence made out of metal light tubing.

I did find out that, in this particular case/tree, the reason of why the tree was allowed to grow over the fence was because the house didn't have any residents for nearly 2 decades, when I first found this tree, the house was still empty but, when I approached this place to take another couple of pics the second time years later, I noticed a timber board carved with some letter just above the front door and it said "The Peppercorn tree house"...!

The place was sold about 2 years ago and the new people decided to use the tree and fence as is and name the house/property accordingly.:biggrin:

So, congratulations to the winner and thank you very much to those that participated, it was fun...!

Thank you

PS: Derek, a PM will follow with your AU$100.00 voucher info, thanks...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

DJBPenmaker

Hi peoples,

We have a winner, our friend Derek (DJBPenmaker) go it right on his second guess and post #9, congratulation mate, you deserve the win...![emoji3]

Peppercorn trees are pretty and provide nice shade however, they can be a big problem if planted too close to "things" or "things" are put/built too close to it.

The tree's natural milky sap allows for a very fast growth particularly after the tree has established itself well something that will take as little as 10 to 15 years, after that, large "sacks" start to develop at the tree base and the main trunk, those sacks harden and become what we know as burls, a different kind of burl but burls, nevertheless...!

The tree species number on my timbers list is, in fact, the #57 and the item being eaten is the house front fence made out of metal light tubing.

I did find out that, in this particular case/tree, the reason of why the tree was allowed to grow over the fence was because the house didn't have any residents for nearly 2 decades, when I first found this tree, the house was still empty but, when I approached this place to take another couple of pics the second time years later, I noticed a timber board carved with some letter just above the front door and it said "The Peppercorn tree house"...!

The place was sold about 2 years ago and the new people decided to use the tree and fence as is and name the house/property accordingly.[emoji3]

So, congratulations to the winner and thank you very much to those that participated, it was fun...!

Thank you

PS: Derek, a PM will follow with your AU$100.00 voucher info, thanks...!

Cheers
George
That is brilliant, thank you soooo much. I'm one of those people who never wins anything so it means even more. And I've learnt a lot of new things at the same time. It doesn't get better than that! [emoji106] [emoji2]

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom