Mr. Anonymous Game #41 @ 11/5/2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Is that time again...!:)

This time, I'm not going to ask any questions about wood, or pen making instead, I'm going to ask a question based on the town I live at and from where most of the woods you guys see and work with from me, grow and come from.

The Town of Mount Compass in South Australia, as an annual event that is quite known and enjoyed called the "Compass Cup" or "Mount Compass Cup" held every year on the 3th weekend of January.

There are 3 questions I have for you guys, and they are as follow;

1- What is the event about..?

2- What is so special about it..?

3- What is the one "symbol/monument" in this town that symbolises the history of this town..?

Now, this is for everybody, new and old of IAP, no amount of pen making expertise is required for this game, I know that many of you already know seen in the maps where Mount Compass is in Australia and probably read a bit about it so, if you did or not, it may be time to acquire a bit of general knowledge.

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced on game #32 and that, is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used on the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ajollydds

1. Adopted in 1973 to raise money by riding untrained cows.
2. Australia's largest (only) annual cow race.
3. Mosaic cows.

Interesting part of cyber space that I would have never ventured into. Thanks for keeping me up past my bedtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

1080Wayne

1. The event is about bringing the local communities together , serving as a fund raiser for projects which benefit the area as a whole , with emphasis on youth . Dairy is a very important part of the local agricultural scene . The idea arose when a local youth saw a cow running in to be milked , thought riding it might be fun (at least as much as riding a kangaroo) , put the idea to a lady who liked it , and organized a youth group to run it .
2. The only cow race in Australia (probably the only dairy cow race in the world)
3. Cow mosaic

Interesting history George , the area going from a Square Waterhole in a `quaking , spongy , sour swamp growing reeds , wire grass , swamp willow , silver wattle` with zero agricultural value in 1846 to the 1914 recognition of it being one of the richest swamp flats for agricultural purposes , just requiring drainage and superphosphate .

Skeleton2014

1. It's a "cheap day of family fun" that shows Australia's "warped sense of humor" started back in 1973. The local youth were looking for ways to raise money for the community. They came up with the idea of riding untrained cows. It has also developed into other events being held such as side shows, farm animal zoo, tractor pull, milk loading, rubber boot marathon, milk skull-off, and my favorite, the dung fling (for the kids).
2. Australia's only cow race
3. Cow and calf sculpture covered in mosaic tiles symbolizing Mount Compass history as a prime dairy producing area. The cow and calf also symbolizes "togetherness and community spirit" as well as family.
Jeff

edicehouse

1- What is the event about..?

Raise money for those killed by the tragic accident of people being killed while trying to milk a bull. The money is donated to the family members left behind, and purchasing equipment for people who are starting in the career of milking bulls.

2- What is so special about it..?

Raise money to purchase safety equipment for people who milk bulls. It is also to raise knowledge in the dangers of milking bulls.

Anyone who is willing to milk a bull is either brave or stupid. But there is a show in Tijuana; however this is a family friendly forum so we will not discuss that. Imagine all the kids having to cope with one of their parents being killed from milking a bull!

3- What is the one "symbol/monument" in this town that symbolises the history of this town..?

images

robutacion

And the winner is...?

Hi everybody,

This was one of those games where the fastest and the best wording web searcher, would find all the correct answers and while there are a few variations to each of the questions I asked, the only ones that I can't consider as correct for obvious reasons are Ed's, even tough it was very funny. :biggrin:

The winner is indeed the very first poster and new member ajollydds, congratulations mate, you have AU$100.00 to spend with blanks at my web-store

Please remember the conditions stipulated on the first post of this game.:)

Not my normal game subjects but I've thought that wouldn't hurt making a few of you do some research on this little town that has been out home for 11 years, I was quite surprised when I learnt of all that myself years ago, like so many other small towns all over the world, most have a story behind its existence, sometimes as time goes by and the older populations die, many of these stories and realities also die, this is certainly not the case with this town, there has been a great number of people very keen on keeping the tradition very much alive and shared, the town population have more than doubled since we moved up here and that trend will continue for many years to come, I'm sure...!

Thank you also to all that participated, as always it's most appreciated.

I hope you folks didn't mind this little "detour" :wink:

PS: Voucher code to be provided by PM, shortly.

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom