Mr. Anonymous Game #40 @ 5/4/2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Dear friends, I almost forgot about the next game, my head is everywhere lately, sorry...!:redface:

OK so, and as I'm writing these first words I swear that I have no idea what the question(s) will be, I'm trying to think of a subject as we speak and I'm a kind of "blocked" so, I'm going to grab a cup of coffee and think of something...!:confused::eek:

OK folks, I've got something...!

Considering a regular woody tree species, can you tell me what these terms mean and where are they located..?

*- Phloem

*- Xylem

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced on game #32 and that, is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used on the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Note: One guess per post and a maximum of 3 guesses sets per member so, pick well...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Phloem = innermost layer of bark . Transports photosynthesis products made by the leaves to wherever it is needed
Xylem = wood . Transports water from the roots to the shoots and leaves .
Both terms are derived from the Greek words , meaning bark and wood , respectively .

Last edited:

edicehouse

the phloem is the innermost layer of the bark, hence the name, derived from the Greek word φλοιός (phloios) meaning "bark".

Xylem is one of the two types of transport tissue in vascular plants, phloem being the other. The basic function of xylem is to transport water from roots to shoots and leaves, but it also transports some nutrients.[1] The word xylem is derived from the Greek word ξύλον (xylon), meaning "wood"; the best-known xylem tissue is wood, though it is found throughout the plant.

robutacion

There is no doubt that with the Google search tools now available to most people, the answers to my questions wouldn't be that difficult to obtain however, the reason to my decision to touch this subject, is more of educational nature than anything else, it will surprise some, finding out what these names mean, I little extra knowledge doesn't hurt anyone, huh...?:biggrin:

There can be some possible different explanations, I will pick the best one.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

edicehouse

There is no doubt that with the Google search tools now available to most people, the answers to my questions wouldn't be that difficult to obtain however, the reason to my decision to touch this subject, is more of educational nature than anything else, it will surprise some, finding out what these names mean, I little extra knowledge doesn't hurt anyone, huh...?:biggrin:

There can be some possible different explanations, I will pick the best one.

Cheers
George

I knew google would be the choice to find the answer, that is why I went with bing...... LOL. No that is the search engine that pops up when I add another page at work....

alankulwicki7

Phleom-that nasty greenish yellow stuff in your throat caused by too much exposure to CA fumes. It is also caused my exposure to dust from exotic woods like Cocobolo and Rosewood.

Xylem-the smaller musical instrument cousin of a xylophone. While a xylophone typically has 12 to 40 bars, a Xylem only has two bars. Because of this, it is considered one of the most difficult instruments to play.

robutacion

Hi guys,

Who is teaching who here...? I see some new and "different" explanations for the question asked, I may have the wrong search engine, I will give it another look...!

The power of Mr. Google, Edgar mate, we all would be lost without it, our days...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Argo13

George

They both make up the plants " blood stream"

The phloem brings sucrose and amino acids ( products of photosynthesis) from leaves to growing parts of plants and storage organs. Flow can go in either direction as needed.

The Xylem brings water and minerals from the roots upward. ( only occurs in one direction)

The two form a vascular bundle together with the xylem in the center, with the phloem on on the outside of the structure. The xylem provides strength to the plant as well.

George,

Thanks for the learning opportunity. But can you make a pen out of it?

Jason

Argo13

Ok I found another answer. The previous is more for plants

Xylem/Sapwood
The xylem, or sapwood, comprises the youngest layers of wood. Its network of thick-walled cells brings water and nutrients up from the roots through tubes inside of the trunk to the leaves and other parts of the tree. As the tree grows, xylem cells in the central portion of the tree become inactive and die. These dead xylem cells form the tree's heartwood.

And

Phloem/Inner Bark
The phloem or inner bark, which is found between the cambium and the outer bark, acts as a food supply line by carrying sap (sugar and nutrients dissolved in water) from the leaves to the rest of the tree.

So yeah you can make a pen out of it.

Karl_99

Phloem is the fibrous inner layer of bark. It consists of the "tubes" that carry sap (food) from the leaves to the roots and trunk

Xylem is the tissue that forms the growth rings in the heartwood of the tree. Water and minerals move up this tissue from the roots to the crown of the tree.

robutacion

And the winner is...?

Ok folks, time to reveal the person that provided the best answer and the most educational material on the issue, I was hoping that a diagram pic would be posted by participants but, that didn't happen and some folks may still be a little confused is to where these 2 names are found within a tree log.

The winner is edicehouse I appreciate his effort to provide us all with a great educational material, congrats Ed...!:wink:

I know that many folks heard these terms but could not remember what they meant and where they are located in a tree so, here is that diagram that I once before have shared on IAP (long ago...!)

art0059.jpg

Well, thank you so very much to all of those that participate, some very good answers among you some not as complete but I hope that this little "game" has allowed you to learn something, that was my intended goal...!

Thank you all...!

Cheers
George

jttheclockman

Yea learned how to google:biggrin::biggrin: You highlight the word by left clicking and holding as you move the cursor over the word. Now when the word is blue you right click on the word and a suggestion box appears. You click the google search feature. Hope this helps all in their daily quest to search the outer reaches of the universe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom