Mr. Anonymous Game #4 @ 31/8/2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples...!

This game is dedicated to any new IAP member, lets say, members that registered in 2014 so, old "foxes" keep your guns downs, let the young birds fly, please...!:wink::biggrin:

Question:

When you first start to prepare a pen blank into a finished pen, what are the first 2 steps you require to do, using tools/machinery...???

The conditions are as per normal, the winner(s) pay for the shipping (Paypal) and this time, there are 2 options, the 500gr (AU$13.00 overseas - $8.25 for Australia) or the 1kg parcels (AU$20.00 overseas or $13.25 for Australia), you decided which one you can afford.

The prize(s) will be one of these weight limits (500gr or 1kg) boxes, filled with a mix of Aussie raw wood pen blanks, any cut type possible.

Depending upon the weight of each individual blank, up to 12 blanks in a 500gr box, is possible and up to 24 blanks in a 1kg box are also possible, the minimum will be no less than 8 or 16 blanks respectively...!

Attention new IAP members
Don't be afraid, this doesn't hurt and I promise, I will be gentle...!:wink::biggrin:

Please, provide your answers in this thread..!thank you.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

You mean that it is possible to start making a pen from a blank ?? I always thought that I had to plant the tree , wait for it to grow , then cut it down before I could get to the blank stage .

George , somehow the message isn`t getting out . I don`t know what part of the site a new member is most apt to look at (I know it isn`t the Library) , but the three most popular forums are Show off your pens , Casual conversation and Penturning . Perhaps if you were to post a picture of a pen made from one of your offerings on Show off your pens , with the comment that a contest for new members could be found at your site it might help . A thread started in Casual conversation mentioning a contest for new members might also work . It would be more difficult to use the Penturning forum to promote a contest , but not impossible .

I don`t think any of what I have suggested would be against site rules , but you could check with Jeff .

Cmiles1985

You mean that it is possible to start making a pen from a blank ?? I always thought that I had to plant the tree , wait for it to grow , then cut it down before I could get to the blank stage .

George , somehow the message isn`t getting out . I don`t know what part of the site a new member is most apt to look at (I know it isn`t the Library) , but the three most popular forums are Show off your pens , Casual conversation and Penturning . Perhaps if you were to post a picture of a pen made from one of your offerings on Show off your pens , with the comment that a contest for new members could be found at your site it might help . A thread started in Casual conversation mentioning a contest for new members might also work . It would be more difficult to use the Penturning forum to promote a contest , but not impossible .

I don`t think any of what I have suggested would be against site rules , but you could check with Jeff .

And if George isn't directly allowed to make a post referencing his contest in the CC forum, can another member? Can we start a thread to the effect of "check out this awesome contest?"

wyone

I cut the blanks to the proper length of the tube, then I drill the blanks for the tube. Unless you want to go WAY back to where I drive to the store in my truck and pick out the blank by hand, and use my credit card to pay for it. :) :)

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi wyone,

A fair point you mentioned on your first post of this thread, sometimes he forget how difficult was to understand how the forums work and all the new things we were confronted with so, my apologies for that, I now have mention on the opening post, where the answers should be put...!

Again, I never considered any steps that a wood pen blank will require to go through, as far as cutting the tree, processing it into pen blanks, I would think that, the majority of new penturners, would first consider buying the pen blanks before he/she would start to learn and see the trees around him/her that could make some nice pens, is not that the way he goes with most of us..???

So, a fair point but, I meant the 2 first steps involving tools/machinery that one would require to perform, after he/she acquired the woods blanks from somewhere (store, friend, etc...!)

Its amazing how even the simplest of questions can trigger so many assumptions/possibilities, how can I keep it simple...???:)

Is obvious that, these games are not reaching the new members, it can be a combinations of factors, one being that, they may have already seen these games before and got the impressions that, the answers are too complicated for them and therefore seeing the games title again, with only the change of the number, may have simply gave the impressions that all these games are not for them as they don't know all the ins and outs and definitely aren't aware of all my blanks/wood species and the stories I have written through the years so, and that is the case, I don't blame them but, I would like to change that and make them all aware that, they have a place on my games like everyone else, I'm thinking of them and I'm trying to create a combination of games that cater for all members, new, medium and old...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

wyone

and I know I would LOVE to get the larger package as I went to your website and LOVE the choices of woods you have available. One of my first turnings I did was a banksia pod that I turned into a vase for a birthday present for my mother. When I started turning pens, that was one of my first thoughts.. how would I turn that. I even bought one and decided, it was beyond my skill level at the time. Since then I have learned so much and while that is still beyond my skill level, it is in my sights for the future. But frankly I would be thrilled with any new opportunities to try new woods. Thanks for the chance to play!

robutacion

I cut the blanks to the proper length of the tube, then I drill the blanks for the tube. Unless you want to go WAY back to where I drive to the store in my truck and pick out the blank by hand, and use my credit card to pay for it. :) :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that, and because I have mentioned the 2 steps that involve tools/machinery, it would be great it the name of the tools or machines use for each step are mentioned, after all these steps can be performed with a variety of tools or machines, right...???

Cmiles1985 and 1080Wayne, Thank you for being supportive of my intentions and your concerns of not seen these games reach the new members. I don't want to contravene with any of IAP rules, and I may need to suggestions from Jeff, on how to handle the issue without getting any more accusations of "advertizing", I may need to think of something that will attract their attention, FOR THE RIGHT REASONS...!:)

Cheers
George

wyone

I cut my blanks to length on a bandsaw. I find that it gives me the best cut with the least waste. I then use a pen vice and drill the blank on my drill press.

While I do see that you have a business and selling wood is part of that, I never even considered that you would be doing this as an advertisement for that. I have not come across anyone in this organization that has not been here to help others and share knowledge. Granted I have only been on here for a short time, but as I told someone in a PM a while back. I almost gave up on making pens totally after numerous failures and blowouts. I found this group and read.. and read.. and read some more.. ans asked stupid questions.. and got wonderful answers. and now. I LOVE pen turning! I feel it will be a part of my life for a very long time now. :)

Sprung

After taking the tubes and marking the lengths I need to cut the blanks to, I cut them with my bandsaw. After they are cut to length, I drill them with the appropriately sized bits using my drill press.

Sprung

(I had noticed the games before - but forget to check in as I don't visit the Vendor Forums very often. Visiting the Vendor Forums with frequency would encourage me to spend money that I don't have, lol!)

robutacion

I cut my blanks to length on a bandsaw. I find that it gives me the best cut with the least waste. I then use a pen vice and drill the blank on my drill press.

While I do see that you have a business and selling wood is part of that, I never even considered that you would be doing this as an advertisement for that. I have not come across anyone in this organization that has not been here to help others and share knowledge. Granted I have only been on here for a short time, but as I told someone in a PM a while back. I almost gave up on making pens totally after numerous failures and blowouts. I found this group and read.. and read.. and read some more.. ans asked stupid questions.. and got wonderful answers. and now. I LOVE pen turning! I feel it will be a part of my life for a very long time now. :)

G'day,

Thank you for the reply however, I need to clarify something that you said and something that I'm constantly, reminding people off and that is, I am no business, nor I want to be, this is my hobby and has been for quite some years.

To me, there is a big difference in between what I do and a proper business, it would be a very bad business, if I was one, unless I would have fun is losing money and work for little reward. I understand why, people may think that I'm a business, before they really know me and what I do so, I see it as "normal" and I simply make sure people understand where I stand in relation to that subject and do so, in the friendliest way possible.:wink::biggrin:

I do what I like and I like what I do so, what else can I ask for...???:)

Cheers
George

wyone

George... I like that.. a lot...

I am hoping to eventually get enough skills to sell a pen, or woodturning or whatever. I look at it as if I can recoop at least a portion of my cost it makes my hobby less costly. That said, as long as I can afford the materials and tools to get my hands dirty with wood... I will. I sort of went away from it for about 10 years and I have to say, I think getting back into it has made me smile more again. :)

Last edited:

robutacion

(I had noticed the games before - but forget to check in as I don't visit the Vendor Forums very often. Visiting the Vendor Forums with frequency would encourage me to spend money that I don't have, lol!)

Well, I can understand what you are saying, and yes, one would think that anyone that pay monthly fees to register as a "vendor", would do so to sell stuff and make money however, there are many reasons why the vendors forums was created and why, I didn't hesitate in be part of it from day one.

As like any other web forum, there are people that strive in creating troubles, many of which are related to jealousy and lack of better things to do with their lives so, they don't lose the opportunity and bring up "politics", stealth advertisement and all sorts of insinuations/assumptions/accusations, just to stir the pot and create arguments.

However, IAP's owner (Jeff Power) has a clear vision to what he wants IAP to be therefore, he "creates" options to cater for everyone and minimise the possibilities of argumental triggers that serve no ones purpose...!

The vendors forum was specifically created with that vision in mind and while it has proven to be a great idea and success to minimise unnecessary arguments/accusations, and also allows some "freedom of movement" for those like myself that, found difficult if not almost impossible, to say anything and not be seen as "advertising", something that infuriated me tremendously however, the vendors forums have some limitations in the way they "spread/infiltrated" with any other IAP subjects, and not be seen as intrusive.

That may explain why, threads or posts on vendors forums, are not as visible as most others, for the very reasons I explain above and that, make sense to a certain degree, to me, off-course...!

I understand perfectly, your perception and thoughts about the "vendors forums" however, I have to make clear to you and any other new IAP members that, there are exceptions to every rule in life, and that is exactly the situation with my presence in that vendor's forum, I do a lot more there, or anywhere than, selling my made stuff, I find a lot "safer" to open any of my threads in that vendors space, it takes care of any advertising accusations, that were a constant problem, beforehand...!

By doing so, I limit myself considerably to the number of members that becomes aware of any of the threads I open in there, this is becoming most obvious with the IAP new members and while, I would prefer that was not the case I don't want/need the aggravations, neither...!

I don't have the answers to that problem, and I may discuss this very issue with Jeff however, I understand that, the "balance" has to be maintained and anything that is done (or not done) to keep the "cranky old farts" off my back, is most welcomed...!:wink::biggrin:

So, I hope you now understand that, you can get a lot more than spend the money that you don't have, by keeping visiting me, at the vendors forum...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

George... I like that.. a lot...

I am hoping to eventually get enough skills to sell a pen, or woodturning or whatever. I look at it as if I can recoop at least a portion of my cost it makes my hobby less costly. That said, as long as I can afford the materials and tools to get my hands dirty with wood... I will. I sort of went away from it for about 10 years and I have to say, I think getting back into it has made me smile more again. :)

Well mate, I see that as a win win situation, huh...???:biggrin:

George

Krash

Hi peoples...!

Question:

When you first start to prepare a pen blank into a finished pen, what are the first 2 steps you require to do, using tools/machinery...???

Lets see .... the first two things, huh?

First, you are required to take a picture of the blank with a camera [tool]

Second, you are required to post it to IAP with a computer so everyone can see what you're working on [machinery]

Am I close? :rolleyes:

BTW, technically I am a new member since I turned my first pen and joined this year. :biggrin:

Thanks George for the fun. I'm sure you will bless a newcomer with some fantastic blanks that he/she can, obviously, first take pictures of and post to IAP! (wanna bet that isn't the first thing they will do with your blanks?)

Last edited:

Trey

My guesses

Looks like I'm a little late to this game, but I only get to take a look at the forum on weekdays!

For my two guesses I will toss in that you should measure the tubes (measuring tape) and mark the blank (pencil)

If you are talking about using machinery I would have to go with cutting the marked blank with a band saw (or similar cutoff machine) and drilling the appropriate holes with a lathe chuck (or similar hole maker).

On a side note, THANK YOU Mr. Anonymouse for putting up games. Even if I don't have the slightest clue how to play, I'm still wonderfully happy to learn from those who actually do.

wyone

Well hmmm I guess maybe I am the only one who does not measure my blanks. I buy blanks that typically have a sticker on them for the seller, and so I do not need to mark the connection point to line up the grain. I dont even measure the blank or the tube, I just lay the tube against the blank and cut it a bit longer on my bandsaw, once for each tube. Then off to the pen vice and drill press to drill for the tube.

robutacion

And the winner is...??? a bunch of people...!

Hi folks,

Thanks you to all the new members that, accepted to participate in something new to them and at the same time, making me aware of the discrepancy and forum "viewing" habits, between new and older members.

I understand that, being a new member in a new/unfamiliar forum, is never an easy thing (we older members may have forgotten that...!) therefore, I apologise for not have taken that into consideration, when I invited all new members to have a go with these games. I will try to do better, next time. (yes, will be many more chances/opportunities...!)

In relation to the 2 answers I had in mind, and due to the fact that I emphasised the work "machinery", the optimum answers would be, cutting the blank on the bandsaw and drill the barrels on the drill press or on the lathe however, there are other possibilities.

I mention also the word "tools" and this includes any object that is "normally" hand used, such as the timber saw, hacksaw to cut the blanks, and hand drills (electric or not) to drill the barrels and even vices/clamps to hold the blanks. The word "tools" also include the measuring tape, pencil, marker, etc.

As a result, and due to the manageable number of new members that participated (6) in this game, congratulations to you all, you all are awarded, winners...!:wink::biggrin:

Did someone say that, they were too late...???? not always the case, participating in some games, is all its required to win...!:)

Once again, congratulations to the winners and thank you, to the "older" members for accepting my request to lay low and allow the new members to have a go, you are all a very good sport...!:wink:

To the winners, please make the selection of the parcel size you are happy with, and put your request here.

As for payment of the shipping costs, please Paypal me to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au with the correct amount of the shipping choice you made, thank you.

PS: it would help me considerably to identify everyone, if you make sure to put your IAP name on the payment description, thank you...!

Well, this game #4 is now wrapped up so, lets see what I will come up with, next...!

EVERYONE CAN PLAY, NEXT...!:wink:

PS/PS: I forgot to mention that, not all blanks need to be cut, they can be already "shorts" on pen styles where the full blank length is required...!

Winners names;

*- wyone - :present: :airplane:

*- Sprung - :present: :airplane:

*- Trey - :present: :airplane:

*- mjrbuzz - :present: :airplane:

*- epigolucky - :present: :airplane:

*- Fredito - :present: :airplane:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

wyone

Very cool. I sent you an email with my information and will send PayPal payment as soon as I hear back. I would like the larger of the sizes if that would be possible.

I want to thank both you and your donor for this. It is awesome to give back! I will be sure and give back as soon as I can myself.

Thank you again!

Last edited:

robutacion

I went to paypal. but not sure of the three letter designation for the currency you use. Is it AUD? I want to make sure I get you the correct amount. :)

Ok, If you want the bigger parcel (1kg) the shipping cost is AU$20.00

And yes, the Australian currency abbreviation is AUD

PS: Info on the game conditions/requirements, is always referred on the OP (Opening Post):wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Payment sent.. again.. many thanks

Yes, Paypal received, thank you...!

Paypal has become very easy to use in any currency you want/need, you simply select the one you want the money to be transferred to. Every so often I get the amounts in US$ and I don't make much fuss about it, at the moment the US$ is slightly better than the AU$ but, it is never too far from each other, even though, a few years back, the Aussie $ was a lot higher the the US$, a had a few payments done in US$ instead of AU$ and I never did say anything, the amounts weren't significant, it just meant that I didn't make anything out of it, I survived so all good...!

I mentioned to you that some Paypal accounts don't send the postal details info to the recipient, and that exactly the case with you however, you already had sent me those details via PM so, all good.

I believe that, is up to each person to set the Paypal accounts to provided the postal information on the Payment confirmation, I strongly recommend that people check their accounts and make sure that option is selected, make things a lot easier to everyone unless, there is a valid/good reason for that info not to appear, I also accept that, as a possibility...!

One of the "things", I don't like to call it "a games condition" is that, I like to wrap up each game before I start a new one, and that means, to have all the parcel posted away however, that will not happen until I received the shipping payments from all winners so, I do appreciate immensely if all in question, get their Paypal payment put through so that I can have all parcels posted.

There is one other thing that I want to make you all know, new or older IAP members is that, I know how difficult is to manage little money coming in and I also know that, even small amounts can make a big difference so, I don't want that anyone decides not to play, in fear of winning and having to come up with the shipping money, please don't do that, participate, play, have some fun and learn something new, if you endup being awarded with a win, and you can't afford to send me the shipping money, simple talk to me/send me a PM or an email, don't hide and be embarrassed about it, there is no crime to have no spending money, particularly if you are a young fellow, sometimes still at school so, be honest with me, and I will help you to get through that and get the blanks in your hands so that you can enjoy...!

I'm a pretty easy bloke to talk to, I'm fair and like to keep private issues, private...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Sprung

Well, I can understand what you are saying, and yes, one would think that anyone that pay monthly fees to register as a "vendor", would do so to sell stuff and make money however, there are many reasons why the vendors forums was created and why, I didn't hesitate in be part of it from day one.

As like any other web forum, there are people that strive in creating troubles, many of which are related to jealousy and lack of better things to do with their lives so, they don't lose the opportunity and bring up "politics", stealth advertisement and all sorts of insinuations/assumptions/accusations, just to stir the pot and create arguments.

However, IAP's owner (Jeff Power) has a clear vision to what he wants IAP to be therefore, he "creates" options to cater for everyone and minimise the possibilities of argumental triggers that serve no ones purpose...!

The vendors forum was specifically created with that vision in mind and while it has proven to be a great idea and success to minimise unnecessary arguments/accusations, and also allows some "freedom of movement" for those like myself that, found difficult if not almost impossible, to say anything and not be seen as "advertising", something that infuriated me tremendously however, the vendors forums have some limitations in the way they "spread/infiltrated" with any other IAP subjects, and not be seen as intrusive.

That may explain why, threads or posts on vendors forums, are not as visible as most others, for the very reasons I explain above and that, make sense to a certain degree, to me, off-course...!

I understand perfectly, your perception and thoughts about the "vendors forums" however, I have to make clear to you and any other new IAP members that, there are exceptions to every rule in life, and that is exactly the situation with my presence in that vendor's forum, I do a lot more there, or anywhere than, selling my made stuff, I find a lot "safer" to open any of my threads in that vendors space, it takes care of any advertising accusations, that were a constant problem, beforehand...!

By doing so, I limit myself considerably to the number of members that becomes aware of any of the threads I open in there, this is becoming most obvious with the IAP new members and while, I would prefer that was not the case I don't want/need the aggravations, neither...!

I don't have the answers to that problem, and I may discuss this very issue with Jeff however, I understand that, the "balance" has to be maintained and anything that is done (or not done) to keep the "cranky old farts" off my back, is most welcomed...!:wink::biggrin:

So, I hope you now understand that, you can get a lot more than spend the money that you don't have, by keeping visiting me, at the vendors forum...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Yes, I've started to poke around the vendor forums now a little more after seeing the games here, realizing there is so much more to offer! I never had a problem with them - but for the sake of reducing temptation to spend money that my wife wouldn't want me to spend, I tried to avoid them. Seeing that there is so much more to the vendor forums than I had previously thought, I'll be poking my head in much more often to see what's going on in the vendor forums!

I do think it's good for the vendors to have a place here on the forums. Through the vendor forums I've learned of some different vendors I'd never heard of - and see that they are upstanding people who offer great products and even better service. In a world where there are a lot of people who are happy to take my money and give me poor service or a bad product, it's refreshing to see such a great group of vendors!

Thanks for helping a newbie see that good areas of the forum have even more to offer than I previously thought! :)

Thanks, George, for these games and these prizes! And thanks to Mr. Anonymous too for his generosity! I'll get shipping money sent to you in a few.

robutacion

Cheers
George

Yes, I've started to poke around the vendor forums now a little more after seeing the games here, realizing there is so much more to offer! I never had a problem with them - but for the sake of reducing temptation to spend money that my wife wouldn't want me to spend, I tried to avoid them. Seeing that there is so much more to the vendor forums than I had previously thought, I'll be poking my head in much more often to see what's going on in the vendor forums!

I do think it's good for the vendors to have a place here on the forums. Through the vendor forums I've learned of some different vendors I'd never heard of - and see that they are upstanding people who offer great products and even better service. In a world where there are a lot of people who are happy to take my money and give me poor service or a bad product, it's refreshing to see such a great group of vendors!

Thanks for helping a newbie see that good areas of the forum have even more to offer than I previously thought! :)

Thanks, George, for these games and these prizes! And thanks to Mr. Anonymous too for his generosity! I'll get shipping money sent to you in a few.

You're Welcome...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

All the prizes (6) have been posted...!

Well folks, the boxes are away...!:wink:

All have the same number of blanks (20) one of each of whatever I grabbed lots of 6 blanks from, even though, no 2 boxes weighed the same, from 1.01kg to 1.018kg ...!:eek:

None of the blanks will require stabilization, in my view so, will see what happens.

I would appreciate that, you let me know when your box arrives.

Thank you,
Cheers
George

wyone

I received the blanks today. I cannot thank George and his anonymous donor enough! I will make sure to save these for a special turning. In the meantime, I am going to do some research on the woods. It is really wonderful! Thank you again!

Sprung

George, I received my blanks today. Thank you very much to both you and Mr. Anonymous!

I've been working on obtaining various wood from all over both the US and the world as finances allow. I've got a slowly growing collection. Of the 20 different species represented in the 20 blanks you sent me, there is not one I already had! So, 20 new species added to my small, but growing collection and I can't wait to turn them!

Thanks again!

robutacion

George, I received my blanks today. Thank you very much to both you and Mr. Anonymous!

I've been working on obtaining various wood from all over both the US and the world as finances allow. I've got a slowly growing collection. Of the 20 different species represented in the 20 blanks you sent me, there is not one I already had! So, 20 new species added to my small, but growing collection and I can't wait to turn them!

Thanks again!

Well, that was expected, and it has been the case with many other fellows using wood and collection some bits. What I collected through the years from around this area (25k radius) are species that don't have a commercial value as such otherwise, would nothing left.

They (most of them) wouldn't be suitable to plantation so, they are wild and as mother nature decided to put them. There are off-course, many of the introduced species that may be found also in other areas of Australia but that, is irrelevant.

Is good to know that, my bits of timber are appreciated...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom