Mr. Anonymous Game #39 @ 25/2/2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JodyS

It is a log vise for holding sections of log so they can be shaped down into bowl blanks with a chainsaw. (rounding corners, looping off wooder that would otherwise need to be turned away). Handy when you don't have access to a band saw for rough rounding! I like it.

Jody

oldtoolsniper

It replaces the human that used to hold your logs for chainsawing.

The two bolts welded on the back go through the upright section of some sort of stand or tripod. The wings welded on it keep it from rotating.

The handle with the marble allows it to be loosened so it may be adjusted for size.

The whole thing is a third, unpaid, non-complaining hand.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

robutacion

And the winner is...?

OK folks, time to wrap this one up and reveal the first person that answered my question satisfactory and that person is luckyscroller788 on post #21.

The answer I was after was, hold the half logs to cut round bowl blanks with a chainsaw.

So, I didn't have a bandsaw big enough then to do that and I was preparing/processing hundreds of bowl blanks all sizes that I would either turn myself or sell to other turners.

The frame was installed on and outside post at waist hight for easy accessibility and work Log holding frame 036_(1)_(1).jpg

Blanks were then either painted or soaked in detergent to allow slow drying and less cracking.

Timbers preparation 032_(1).jpgTimbers preparation 030_(1).jpgA few extra blanks on new shelves 004_(1).jpgMy turnings 002c_(1).jpg

As some of you have mentioned/assumed, this log/vice holder is an excellent, safe and effective way to work on a wood log with a chainsaw, the types of cuts possible with it, will depend only on what you want the final shape of the log/piece to be..!

Log holding frame 008_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 010_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 013_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 022_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 023_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 024_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 025_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 026_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 027_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 028_(1)_(1).jpgLog holding frame 029_(1)_(1).jpg

I also know that 2 other members did make a good effort with the answer and any of them could have been the winner if their posts were first but that is not the case so, sorry folks, maybe next time...!:biggrin:

I should note that the winner is indeed a new participant to these games and for that, I will say thank you.

For everyone else that took the time to participate and joke a little, thank you also very much, I would miss those sort of responses, otherwise...!:wink:

Until one next time, thank you...!:)

Cheers
George

WOOHOO!!! Thank you George!!! You know, I thought I had that figured out, then you kept adding more hints, and I began thinking maybe you had a different purpose for it. Then... after Alankulwicki posted this " It's for holding the patients head still when he dentist is doing a root canal.... " I started thinking about my many trips to the dentist.... and I figured maybe he hit the nail on the head with that! Ive heard you Aussies do things a little different down under, and maybe you have dentists down there like my dentist! Or, maybe the dentist with that holder has a patient like me perhaps!
Thank you George for hosting the game, and your very generous prize offering, but most of all, thank you for all the help you give all of us turners with your wealth of knowledge and your willingness to share your expertise!It is appreciated!
Its been a very good first month on here for me. I have learned a lot, already made a few great friends, spent quite a bit of money on turning stuff both from ones selling on here, and their sites, and came in on my first bash, and didn't have to ride off on the losers train, and now I can also go shopping at Georgers Bits of Timber!!!! Thank you!!

robutacion

WOOHOO!!! Thank you George!!! You know, I thought I had that figured out, then you kept adding more hints, and I began thinking maybe you had a different purpose for it. Then... after Alankulwicki posted this " It's for holding the patients head still when he dentist is doing a root canal.... " I started thinking about my many trips to the dentist.... and I figured maybe he hit the nail on the head with that! Ive heard you Aussies do things a little different down under, and maybe you have dentists down there like my dentist! Or, maybe the dentist with that holder has a patient like me perhaps!
Thank you George for hosting the game, and your very generous prize offering, but most of all, thank you for all the help you give all of us turners with your wealth of knowledge and your willingness to share your expertise!It is appreciated!
Its been a very good first month on here for me. I have learned a lot, already made a few great friends, spent quite a bit of money on turning stuff both from ones selling on here, and their sites, and came in on my first bash, and didn't have to ride off on the losers train, and now I can also go shopping at Georgers Bits of Timber!!!! Thank you!!

G'day,

You're welcome mate...!

I don't know why that "dentist" answer as stuck in your head, I get cold shivers running down my spine just thinking about it...!

Is great to know you are happy with IAP and the way you have been treated in the short period of time you have been here, this place soul is supported and fed by a great number of members/people that like to help and pass on experiences, not always only the good ones and that is what makes this place a pleasant place to be part of, one day soon, you will be in the position to continue this work while the more senior fellows stop to exist in person, their work will always be here, for others to learn from and or follow, this is the normal cycle of life...!

Because you are new to IAP, you may not know that many of my prizes and donations have been sponsored/facilitated by Mr. Anonymous, also a member of the IAP, I'm responsible for the share that sponsorship value and the way it's distributed among ALL IAP members.

I'm sure that, a quick internal search into "Mr. Anonymous" subject, will take you to posts that will explain what is all about and how it come to...!

Is important to me that, prizes recipients are aware of what and who is behind the generous prizes/donations, credit should be given to where it belongs...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom