Mr. Anonymous Game #37 @ 8/12/2016

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

OK so, 2016 is near the end and as if goes by, most people will become busier every day until the Festive Season and done and dusted so, let me throw game #37 on its way a little sooner, and see what happens.

This time will not be an easy one, and once more the material is part of my timbers list, this "part" being an outer part of a tree species, more commonly known as bark.

I can start by saying that, I haven't done any work with it (this bark species) before nor is "yet" listed on my web-store but some blanks have been made.

Interestingly, this is one of rare type tree bark that actually accepts soaking (about 25% to 40%) making stabilisation a very effective way to keep the material workable and if this wasn't enough, the bark after stabilised took to the Epoxy resin like a camel to water, absorbing a considerable amount of resin throughout all those crevasses, making the final product rock solid to work with. The natural resin crystals in this bark are just stunning...!

There are a few good hints on what I said above for the observer minds in this forum, sure, it can only be 1 one 95 but I would suggest you ignore the first half of the timbers list found here

I have a number of these blanks both stabilised only (full-size pen blank) and some in Resifills ready for sale, I was going to list them today but then I thought that they would be a great subject for these games so, here we are.

The answer I'm after is;

What is the common name of the tree species that produces this type of bark...?

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced on game #32 and that, is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used on the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Note: One guess per post and a maximum of 3 guesses sets per member so, pick well...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

robutacion

Based on some key words on your post I'm going with Bethlehem Olive

G'day mate,

I haven't seen you before in these games so thank you for participating.

As always, for each of the games I run, I try to make it instructive and or educative and as a result and realising that you are new on IAP, I would like to assist you with the process of deciphering my hints and get to the correct answer, a little easier.

The first observation is that I'm in South Australia and while I and everyone else can import Bethlehem Olive wood, wood with the bark on is not allowed to be imported into Australia. The other aspect is that Olive wood tree species are very thin-barked and produces no crystals, most of the tree species that do produce liquid gum and solid crystals are the common Australian Eucalyptus which we here call "Gums". A quick Google search can be most helpful to give you an idea.

You say that, from some of my key words, you thought of the Bethlehem Olive tree and if you don't mind, what were those key words? is also OK if you prefer not answer.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Hahahahah, so now you are playing with me, huh...?:wink::biggrin:

Those who read what I write or listen to what I say and have a good memory, as some of you that I know of:), have a tremendous advantage in these games however, I like to set a few "traps" in the process that many of you, fell right in, sorry...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

mallbee

It was a wild guess based on the camel reference. Yes I am new here, and have yet to turn my first pen. Seems my dream of setting up a turning studio in my apartment may not work so well as I have neighbors suddenly complaining about my music. I keep it turned up just enough to hear it over my air conditioner which isn't loud at all. Not so sure a lathe, band saw and drill press are going to be quiet enough for his delicate ears. I do still plan to get my shop going on the near future, Judy Goin to have to find another way.

mallbee

And I need to proofread my posts a little better before sending. Just going to have to find another way that should say.

robutacion

And I need to proofread my posts a little better before sending. Just going to have to find another way that should say.

Hi Mike,

First off, don't worry too much about proofreading and be too correct, look around mate, we all do some doozies, everyday...!:biggrin:

As for living in an apartment and having "sensitive" neighbours, do what i do, max that noise until they move out..! just kidding...!:wink:

I know of many folks that turn pens in their apartments and even some on their balconies, sure, it may be a little more difficult to have bandsaws and all the other workshop equipment but, it can be done...!

You are in the right place to get all the advice you need and inspiration to thrive, best of luck.

Cheers
George

stuckinohio

Hey George. I think your forum name should be "The Riddler"! You certainly are very good at setting traps by confusing your prey:biggrin:

Hahahahah, so now you are playing with me, huh...?:wink::biggrin:

Those who read what I write or listen to what I say and have a good memory, as some of you that I know of:), have a tremendous advantage in these games however, I like to set a few "traps" in the process that many of you, fell right in, sorry...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

You're an evil man George,

But the more I chat with you and get to know you, the more I realize why the people here love you.:highfive::biggrin:

David

robutacion

Well folks, I'm getting ready to close this game down, I will wait another 24 hours and then, call it the day...!

Any late comers, better get your guesses soon, I'm not saying who is right and who is wrong OR, if anyone got it at all.

If you think you know the correct answer but someone else bit you to it and have all or some guesses left (max of 3), don't hesitate to express it, one never knows...!

Cheers
George

stuckinohio

George, I guess I haven't been on your site for a while. That cork tree burl looks really nice! I decided I didn't want any in June when I was buying all the casting pieces, but I see that may have been a mistake!

robutacion

My 3rd guess. Banksia.

Well mate, I know you would like to win one day but, you may need to be a little more attentive and even do a quick Google search for better ideas, in this case, I'm referring to my post #6 to which I provided a big clue, I said "most of the tree species that do produce liquid gum and solid crystals are the common Australian Eucalyptus which we here call "Gums"

Sorry mate, you have to try again at a next game...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom