Mr. Anonymous Game #29 @ 10/11/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I have considered to make this game, a sort of "general knowledge" question, that it is and is not due to the fact that, I'm talking about Epoxy resin casting.

Recently (a couple of days ago), I decided to actually measure how hot these molds of mine were getting, when the curing process reached its maximum point/stage.

I have proper temperature data logger, used in many other situations before so, was not difficult to set the probe into/in the middle of, one of my molds, just before they went into the pressure pot.

In winter, I had to wait over 1 hour before the resin would start to thicken, just slightly, jelling with occur within 15 to 30 minutes after that however, in hotter days, such as those experienced here in recent times, the waiting time was dramatically reduced to 15 minutes, in really hot days. So far, the highest I experienced while trying to cast was 35° Celsius, a couple of days ago and, I almost stuffed things up, as I had 6 molds to fill and mixed 8 containers with 500ml of resin in each, I certainly pushed my luck, by the time I had mixed the colours/powders on the last cup, the resin was getting far too hot.

I was lucky that I had everything ready for the probe so, was only a matter of putting it in the middle of the mold (between 2 blanks), put the lid and get it into the pressure pot before it would too late.

Most resins produce a certain amount of heat when, it starts curing, that heat continues on for some time until it get to room temperature however, there is a "peak" temperature on all of them, with Epoxy resin is no different in fact, I believe, its produces the most amount of heat of all resin types.

when I put the mold into the pressure pot, the temperature probe was reading already 40°C, remember that was at least, 35°C that day however, I should have made the test with a single mold and probably in a cooler day, I may do it some other time but for now, this has gave me the answer I was after so, the question is this...!

*- What was the peak/highest temperature reached, in my recent tests...??

I printed the graphic but, I had forgotten to get the date and time updated on the logger and the last time I used it was in 2010 so, times and dates are all wrong however, the important info, is all there and very clear...!

The person that gives me the closest temperature of that peak/highest point, gets the prize.

Now, I have also decided that, with the less time I have been having lately to spend on IAP, I will do 1 game per month and I will increase significantly the value of the prize(s), I have really started this on my last game where, the prize value was AU$100.00 for a shipping payment by the winner of AU$29.00

This game will have the same prize value and conditions so, that should entice some new members to try getting in here, and play the game, after all, what do they have to lose...???:biggrin:

Please NOTE:
One other condition that will replace the older version of the "waiting time" between claiming prizes, due to the time between games, I will be happy to make it a condition that, a winner can not claim a prize 2 times in a raw...!

PS: The pic with the laser temp reader is to show everyone how hot the pots will get when the resin is reaching the top temperature, inside...!:eek::)

Good luck, everybody.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

robutacion

HO, HOOO...! lots of new faces, thank you for that, I do think that, games like this won't need any special level of expertise, any one can do a search and find lots of info however, there are 100's of types and brands of Epoxy some are glues some are resins some are a combination of both but, chemical compositions very considerably.

In this case, the correct answer will be shown on the image I printed of the graphic made on this test, it shows the temp curve and has highest and lowest temps so, there will be no doubts...!

I can say though, this stuff is a lot hoter than anything I worked before, I got multiple burns from it, all caused by me trying to salvage the mixed resin in the cups after I waited just a little too long, smoke starts to come out of the cup, it starts to harden from the top down so, has been a few times where I saw the smoke come out, and tried to scope the top off and pour the part that was still liquid that solidified within 60 seconds so, no time to put in the pressure pot and that, created a few extra problem I didn't need so, I stop doing that, and take a little more care of my times.

So, how hot it gets..?? very hot indeed...!

The manufacturer of this product, an Australian Company, has some info of these high temperatures and even if you know who makes this resin, the temp they have on their data, did not match what I've got, was it higher, was it lower...??? either way, what they suggest, is different to the results I've got and there should be no doubts about the accuracy of this probe and data logger, they are calibrate to specs...!

I've thought you would like to know this...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Well, well...! someone here is getting close...!:wink::biggrin:

OK so, let me give you a good clue, all those that guessed temperatures under 100° celsius, they are all incorrect, the correct temperature is above 100°C and below 175°C

I may be able to do better than this but that, will have to wait for the next clue...!:)

How many of you never thought of how hot some casting resins may get...?? I'm sure, with the Googling going on, everyone will learn a little...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom