Mr. Anonymous Game #28 @ 8/10/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

It has been awhile again, my time on the internet has changed significantly these recent months, my apologies for that...!

Ok so, lets do this...!

Recently(ish) I made some blanks (bigger than pen blanks) that were made with one particular type of wood that, you don't find on sale anywhere (not that I know of) and while the wood was worked slightly before casting, the results are quite good and the questions are these;

*- What wood species did I use ...?

*- What was done to the wood...?

*- And for double prize, what sizes do you think these blanks have..?

Now, you respond correctly to the first 2 questions and you get the prize HOWEVER, if you can give me also the dimensions of these blanks (all the same), your prize is doubled...!

Note: Blanks dimensions will be decided on the closest dimensions given in your answer...!

As per normal, the winner pays shipping of AU$18.00 for 750gr or $29.00 for 1.5kg the double price...!

The single prize value is of AU$50.00 and double of AU$100.00

So, good luck everyone...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 004a.jpg
    004a.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 007a.jpg
    007a.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Sprung

Cork Tree Wood, likely small branches from the size of them, stabilized & dyed with different colors, then cast in PR.

These look to be the right about the size and shape of the Mod Box blanks that have become very popular, so I'm going to guess about 2" x 3" x 4" in size.

Sprung

Also, I found a thread here from 2013 that may or may not seem to pertain to helping out with this game. Will wait to post the link, and see if anyone else finds it. ;)

robutacion

Well, well...!

Of all guesses, Sprung is the closest and by the way, I no longer use Polyester and these blanks were made with the new resin...!:eek::confused:

Another good clue is that, these are no branches, which makes them even more special, shame that I'm almost running out of this stuff...!:frown:

Cheers
George

Sprung

Well, well...!

Of all guesses, Sprung is the closest and by the way, I no longer use Polyester and these blanks were made with the new resin...!:eek::confused:

Another good clue is that, these are no branches, which makes them even more special, shame that I'm almost running out of this stuff...!:frown:

Cheers
George

New Resin? Are you able to get Alumilite or something similar down your way now for a price that won't kill you?

If not branches, I'm still thinking Cork Wood still, with the outer bark/cork portion removed. Wood stabilized and dyed (at least some of it dyed). Mod Blank size on your site I have seen 87 x 54 x 35 mm.

Sprung

If not branches, I'm still thinking Cork Wood still, with the outer bark/cork portion removed. Wood stabilized and dyed (at least some of it dyed). Mod Blank size on your site I have seen 87 x 54 x 35 mm.

But I'm also seeing mod boxes at 125 x 61 x 50 mm too. :)

(And forgot to add to previous ones - wood is crosscut!)

Also, these are some mighty fine looking blanks you made, George, these in this thread and these here too!

southernclay

Good to hear from you George!

Cork Tree (following the crowd but it doesn't look right so will investigate further

Cross Cut, outer bark removed, Stabilized and resin cast.

Size is 130x42x32mm

Krash

You know, it just looks like

Old silky oak dyed with different colors cast in PR.
125 x 61 x 50 mm in size.

robutacion

Well, I've seen so many of you mentioning Cork tree that, I fill sorry to have to disappoint you all by saying that, is not Cork tree or Cork tree root...!:frown:

I see you guys checking the e-cig mod stabilised blanks I have on my web-store however, these being Resifills, I never listed any, all I've made so far are direct/private orders but, I can say that, I make 3 different sizes of Resifills, these are the most common and all of them can differ in sizes quite significantly, the ones I'm sowing in the pics are what I call the "large" blanks...!

I saw some very interesting guesses so far but, no one got it, close enough, in the combination of the first 2 questions and the third question...!

PS: None of the woos species mentioned so far, are correct..!:)

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

But I`m betting you were just in the Red swamp banksia , cross cut , stabilized in dyed cactus juice , cast in epoxy with pearlescent pigments , 80x55x55 mm

Enough playing for tonight . Thanks for the fun , George

Skeleton2014

Australian Apricot Tree Wood and Bark stabilized dye free to retain the natural look.
Then blanks were cast with a variety of resin color variation to a size of approximately 42mm x 32mm x 130mm for knife handle blanks.
Jeff

Krash

Bottle Brush root
Stabilized and dyed with different colors
cast in PR.
150 x 40 x 30 mm Resifil blank cut in half to be 75 x 40 x 30 mm in size each.

Last edited:

Krash

Australian Apricot Tree root
cast in PR.

Last edited:

Krash

Macrocarpa root
cast in PR.

1080Wayne

But I`m betting you were just in the Red swamp banksia , cross cut , stabilized in dyed cactus juice , cast in epoxy with pearlescent pigments , 80x55x55 mm

Where in the heck have you found those tree species names..???:eek:

Cheers
George

Best Australian site I have found . If you know of a better one , please let me know (but you don`t have to tell anyone else ) . Australian Native Plants Index
P.S. Those were just the most colourfully named banksia species out of the 26 species native to the Adelaide area which could have a trunk large enough for you to make those castings .

Last edited:

Krash

Bottle Brush root
cast in PR.

Read post #9, please...!

Cheers
George

OK, maybe it's

Bottle Brush root
cast in Resin

But Warren probably got here first.

robutacion

Where in the heck have you found those tree species names..???:eek:

Cheers
George

Best Australian site I have found . If you know of a better one , please let me know (but you don`t have to tell anyone else ) . Australian Native Plants Index
P.S. Those were just the most colourfully named banksia species out of the 26 species native to the Adelaide area which could have a trunk large enough for you to make those castings .

Bloody hell mate, I sure forget things very easily, I was bogged on Banksia pictures and names, only a couple of years ago and I already forgotten most to the names.

In regards to species native to this area, most of what I see, are species that are actually native to Western Australia, they seem to do very well up here, mine does and many other I saw so, looking for names for Banksia's of the area, can very easily throw you out, for the reasons I just mentioned above..!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom