Mr. Anonymous Game #25 @ 20/06/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

yellow gum

No, is not, sorry...!

You all are going to be quite surprised with what it is...!

I can say that, these blank come from a part of some heartwood areas, these trees can produce when very mature, that is about 50 to 70 years of age, you wouldn't find many that would live longer than that. Is not a very big tree at all and produces a "fruit" that is not a fruit, as such..!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Bay Laurel tree

Probably no need to guess anything new. In post #39, George said that someone has already posted the right answer, so the question is: which post from 2-38 is the right one???

Sometimes George awards multiple prizes, so it never hurts to repeat what you think may be the correct answer.

Skeleton2014

Hi Edgar... I was going to guess Hills Weeping Fig just to be on the safe side in case George goes with multiple winners. You seem to have the best track record for these games (along with Kelly/Krash and some others).
But in George's post #17, he writes "No one got even close...", this was after your first HWF. Then in post #27 he writes, "No, not even close ...!" Do you think he's referring to all guesses before post 27??? Or, just the one right before the post? Or, are you being a devil and messing with our minds?:devil::devil::devil::devil:

Alright, alright, alright.... George, I'm guessing Hills Weeping Fig tree!
Jeff

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hi Edgar... I was going to guess Hills Weeping Fig just to be on the safe side in case George goes with multiple winners. You seem to have the best track record for these games (along with Kelly/Krash and some others).
But in George's post #17, he writes "No one got even close...", this was after your first HWF. Then in post #27 he writes, "No, not even close ...!" Do you think he's referring to all guesses before post 27??? Or, just the one right before the post? Or, are you being a devil and messing with our minds?:devil::devil::devil::devil:

Jeff

Heck, I have no real idea on this one. :)
I was at our farm out in the boonies this weekend with very limited Internet access and even less time to do any research. My first guess at HWF was primarily an obligatory wiseguy guess. Then some (although not all) of George's clues seemed to fit HWF, so I just decided to double down on it. If not this one, someday George is gonna use that wood - I just know it. :biggrin:

Your cotoneaster guess seems to be a good one too, but that one is on George's Timbers List, so I'm not sure why it would be a big surprise to us if that turns out to be right.

As always, it's been fun watching the different guesses & trying to decipher George's comments. :befuddled::befuddled:

Skeleton2014

Jeff

Heck, I have no real idea on this one. :)
I was at our farm out in the boonies this weekend with very limited Internet access and even less time to do any research. My first guess at HWF was primarily an obligatory wiseguy guess. Then some (although not all) of George's clues seemed to fit HWF, so I just decided to double down on it. If not this one, someday George is gonna use that wood - I just know it. :biggrin:

Your cotoneaster guess seems to be a good one too, but that one is on George's Timbers List, so I'm not sure why it would be a big surprise to us if that turns out to be right.

As always, it's been fun watching the different guesses & trying to decipher George's comments. :befuddled::befuddled:

I thought you had some insight on this one... Like I said, I think you have the best "batting average" on these games... You've either won the most or always seem to be on the second place or multiple winner list. Maybe we could come up with some stats for these games, i.e. most wins, most second places, fewest posts to a win, fewest posts to a second place, most blanks won, the list could go on! I just wish George would put us out of our misery and announce the winner!
Jeff:biggrin:

robutacion

And the winner is...???

Hi peoples,

OK, OK, I get you out of misery now....!

The winner of game #25 is...! hold on..., I first want to talk about of how interesting was to see the old timers (those with the most knowledge about what I do and my woods) completely forgetting some of my threads that would very easily, reveal the wood name in question, the 3 main threads you guys missed were;

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/womens-power-persuasion-put-good-use-67031/index2.html

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/finally-dry-almond-burl-wood-91364/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/old-almond-wood-chunk-i-took-spin-98923/

That was a real surprise to me, seeing folks that often know the right answers, be totally focussed on something else when in reality, pics with this wood have been shared on IAP a few times.

Anyway, the fits person to guess it correctly was Skeleton2014 (Jeff), I'm pretty sure he had no idea what it was, he throw a bunch of names from my list and hope that, one was correct and this time, it did work, on post #34. earlier on:rolleyes:

However, I let it go to see if someone else would give me the correct answer, none of my hints/clues did really work but then, on post #54 Chromey that took some note to what I said when I mentioned that, a winner has been found, he worked out that, the only name that would make some sense, was the Almond tree wood.

This species are very common in Australia, particularly in this State however, most are planted as groves/plantation trees and they do not grow that big or that old, they are replaced after so many years when the yield reduces dramatically.

I mention the birds, oh yeh, the worse enemy of Almond growers are the birds, Galahs, cockatoos, Corellas, and many other hard beak birds, do mess up these tree pretty bad.

I also mention a fruit that, is not a fruit as such but more a nutt...!

I thank Edgar (edohmann) for his hinting on the multiple winners and I do believe, he may have not connected the dots on this one or, he made sure to not mention the correct name, otherwise, thank you...!:biggrin:

Thank you also to a couple of new names to these games, is always rewarding to see, one of these is Chromey that I don't think he ever participated or very rarely, I will award and equal prize to him, as a thank you...!

So, who gets the 12 blanks pack and equal 1th prize...???

*- Skeleton2014

*- Chromey

To everyone else, my normal appreciation for your participation, thanks.

Winner are to pay AU$18.00 for shipping Paypal to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Both winners are welcome to let me know of any preferences they may have, up to AU$50.00 value:eek::wink::biggrin:

Thank you,

PS: I have attached the other pic I had from the blank shown on the OP.

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations Jeff & Russell! Well done.

Thanks again to George & Mr. A. for another entertaining & educational contest.

I kinda thought that almond might be the correct answer, but I didn't figure it out until after George said that we had a winner in post #38, and based on post #17, I was also pretty sure that it wasn't Hills Weeping Fig. (also, George said that he sometimes likes to work with this wood and I don't recall that he's ever mentioned working with HWF). :)

I really didn't have any time to do any real research or analysis during this game, but after looking at the guesses from 17 to 38, Almond did seem like a good possibility, although George's clue about the tree not getting very large did confuse me a little. I didn't think about the fact that they might be deliberately removed before gaining their maximum size in an orchard setting. Makes sense though.

Chromey

Thank you!! I will send payment and a pm with some preferences, but any will do :) Thanks again much appreciated.!!

Krash

I guess Almond.

Am I too late? :wink:

Geeezz mate, where have you been...??? the train left about a day ago...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

My son was injured 11 days ago so I have been back and forth with him to the doc.

Plus, I have been busy trying to get Mike's PITH pen done. (Make sure and check it out once he posts it. I think you'll get a kick out of it.)
It seems like everything got in the way of me completing it. It's an original unique design so it took some thought and legwork to assemble all the components. I admit ... I kinda went overboard but once I got the idea, I had to follow through completely!
I was finally ready to make some dust. I had carved out time two Saturday's ago but then my son's injury Friday night caused me to get no sleep at all ... so Saturday was out because I was goofy-brained. So, I planned for this last Saturday. I awoke to my wife being sick. But she was so sick that she needed to just stay in bed and sleep it off so after tending to her needs, I did complete it ... barely. PITH was quickly becoming Pain In The Hiney but I'm excited for Mike to see what I ended up with. I think he will be pleasantly surprised! The best part of the PITH is making something special for someone else!

I'll jump into the fray for MA #26 :biggrin:

Thanks buddy,

Last edited:
Top Bottom