Mr. Anonymous Game #24 @ 27/05/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Ackee and English Ivy

Oh mate, you are totally lost...!

Apart from the fact that, it starts with and "A", I also did mention at some point that, one of the species is part of my timber list and the other, is not...!

You're getting close, though...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: I'm going to hit the fat sack so, we will continued, a few hours from now...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This might be stupid but Almond and English Ivy

There's no stupid guesses in George's games (perhaps some silly ones at times though) :)

George has pretty well acknowledged that it's a fruit tree & it never hurts to post a guess that has already been made if George hasn't specifically said that it's wrong. Sometimes George awards multiple winners & sometimes he lets the subsequent correct guesses carry over to the next game. You never know......

wyone

OK so what the heck.. I miss one day of checking here and George started a new game and I am already 53 messages behind?????

So English Ivy of course.. I cheated on that and read it.. :) so how about amboyna for the other... hey I can be right or wrong.. and it is different than what others posted. I read it is a type of fruit tree. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hmmm - kinda doubt if it's Amboyna. Amboyna trees can get really huge & George said that a 1' trunk was rather large for this tree. Also, the tree in question is on George's Timbers List.

robutacion

Interesting that, no one has mentioned that, I jumped from game #23 to #27, when in reality I put the date of 27 on the game number, anyway I have corrected that..!

I'm very near to make the winning announcements, folks...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Interesting that, no one has mentioned that, I jumped from game #23 to #27, when in reality I put the date of 27 on the game number, anyway I have corrected that..!

I'm very near to make the winning announcements, folks...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

I noticed that right off, but I thought that I might have slept through a few games. :wink:

robutacion

And the winner, is...???

Well folks, its time to reveal the correct answer, and that was indeed, the Apricot tree and the English Ivy, congratulations Wayne (1080wayne), you were the first to guess it correctly...!:wink:

We also have 5 other members that gave the correct answer and they are as follow;

*- drise (new participant), thank you
*- Skeleton2014
*- Krash
*- edohmann
*- arbetlam (new participant), thank you

These are all in second place and, you are all going to receive a 4 blank pack free of charge (you pay shipping @ AU$10.00)

The winner gets 12 blanks, he pays AU$18.00 shipping.

Paypal to nyodine@yahoo.com.au

OK so, what are the blanks going to be...???

For the winner, you can choose 12 blanks, between raw and stabilized woods, you select 11 and you can have 1 Resifill blank, anyone you like...! (let me know by PM, please.

For the second place winners, you can choose any of the raw or stabilized blanks you wish, you have 3 raw and 1 stabilized pen blanks to select. (let me know by PM, please.

So that you all know, the Aussie dollars has been very weak for some time so, buying from Australia and paying with Aussie dollars, you are quite up from so, if you so decide to add some more blanks of your choice to the order, the shipping charges are only AU$4.00 for every 250gr (about 4 to 5 blanks) weight increments so, 50gr is AU$14.00, 750gr. is AU$18.00 and 1kg is AU$21.00 (let me know what they are by PM, please...!)

I will leave you with some blanks I made with a combination of the Apricot bark and English Ivy, joined as they were naturally, stabilized and cast with translucent resin colours. Some are of the Ivy only and others are of the Apricot only that still had attached a small amount of the wood to the bark.

Thank you to all participants, it was great to see a few new member names in this game, please continue to participate, your turn will come, one day..!

Enjoy the pics...!

Australian Apricot tree wood stabilized - Knife blanks Resifills – George's Bits of Timber

PS:Apology to Jeff, I did count him as the number of second places but, I failed to actually add his name on the above list, that has now been corrected...~

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

1080Wayne

Well , thank you very much George !! , first for having a contest which was easy enough for me to win , secondly for your great photos showing the interactions between species (I learned a lot , as usual ) , and lastly for the chance to pick my blanks , which will require a bit of thought . My thanks also to Mr Anonymous for making this possible .

According to Wikipedia , the apricot was first cultivated in Armenia , China or India , take your pick .

In researching this contest , I found the following site, which gives an excellent description of the vines , epiphytes and parasites of New Zealand , several of which will be familiar to a world wide audience .
The Vines, Epiphytes and Parasites of new Zealand Forests1 | NZETC

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations Wayne! Well done.

Thanks again to George & Mr. A. for another fun & educational contest.

And thanks for an expanded winner's list, George. I'll have to study your Timbers List a bit this weekend and decide which blanks to select. I'll probably order at least another 4-8 blanks also.

wyone

As always.. educational for all of us. Good work to the winners. I went of the track on this one, but I blame it on too many irons in the fire lately. :) :)

Not sure I could pick out the blanks to have George send me. I have received packages from him and EVERY blank is awesome. I would probably just have to have George pick out for me. Regardless, since I did not win it is a mute point, but I would be interested in knowing which blanks the winners picked. It is just interesting to me. Yes, I am different. LOL

Great job all and thanks again George and Mr A

1080Wayne

As always.. educational for all of us. Good work to the winners. I went of the track on this one, but I blame it on too many irons in the fire lately. :) :)

Not sure I could pick out the blanks to have George send me. I have received packages from him and EVERY blank is awesome. I would probably just have to have George pick out for me. Regardless, since I did not win it is a mute point, but I would be interested in knowing which blanks the winners picked. It is just interesting to me. Yes, I am different. LOL

Great job all and thanks again George and Mr A

Will post a photo when I receive them . Of course I may not identify them because I asked him to choose ones which would be very similar to any he might use in a forthcoming contest .

1080Wayne

Received the blanks yesterday George . There will be some beautiful pens in those , assuming I remember how to turn them , as I have been concentrating on larger items . Thanks again to you and Mr Anonymous . Special thanks for the English ivy casting . I will turn it first , after I`ve decided the best way to show it off .

1080Wayne

Photos of the blanks I received from George , showing all 4 sides
http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?c=1&u=2194
The English ivy was a special cast he did for me (thanks George) .

One group of 4 (all Xct) , one of 3 (X ,Z and Straight) , one of 2(straight) , one of 2 (X and Z) , one of 2 (Z and Straight) , one of 2 (Z and curly) . Some of these George hasn`t featured , so I won`t bother you with the names , although they have all been guessed , some many times .

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I received this package of 31 awesome Australian blanks from George today. I ordered some additional blanks to go with my 2nd place prize blanks (taking advantage of the very favorable USD-AUD exchange rate) and George threw in a few freebies.

You'll have to reference George's Timbers List to get the names of these blanks, but there are 2 ea of the following: 13, 16, 17, 24, 27, 32, 33, 39, 47, 48, 57, 78, 79, 81 & 82. There is also one of the special English Ivy castings (it's a gorgeous blank & the photo doesn't do it justice at all).

Thanks George, these are going to make some great pens. Thanks also to Mr. Anonymous for sponsoring these great contests.

Attachments

• MrAnonymous24.jpg
    MrAnonymous24.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 154

robutacion

I received this package of 31 awesome Australian blanks from George today. I ordered some additional blanks to go with my 2nd place prize blanks (taking advantage of the very favorable USD-AUD exchange rate) and George threw in a few freebies.

You'll have to reference George's Timbers List to get the names of these blanks, but there are 2 ea of the following: 13, 16, 17, 24, 27, 32, 33, 39, 47, 48, 57, 78, 79, 81 & 82. There is also one of the special English Ivy castings (it's a gorgeous blank & the photo doesn't do it justice at all).

Thanks George, these are going to make some great pens. Thanks also to Mr. Anonymous for sponsoring these great contests.

Hi Edgar,

Glad to know, the parcel arrived safely...!

Yes, those not familiar with the names of my woods Vs the identification number, here is a the list that you can easily print.

There is other wood in that list and that is #83 Tasmanian Oak-burl, another of the very few that are not from my stables or grass growing around but, are from a friend that made available to me also the Amboyna burl, birdseye Huon Pine and the Truffle. (I hope I'm not forgetting any other...!).

I thank you Edgar for being a good sport...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom