Mr. Anonymous Game #24 @ 27/05/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day folks,

Has been a while, sorry about that, I have had other things taking my time and attention, lately...!

This time, I'm going to use a material that was sourced locally, some time ago, I was going to use it for something else but, I decided to make some larger blanks out of it, just to be different.:)

There are 2 species in the pics, none are native to Australia, I know where one of them is native from but, not the other (never really bother to search but I may will...!):biggrin:

Nature has made one to strive out of the other, the demise is inevitable after some time however a pest, it still can have its uses...! (for me, anyway...!)

So, what I'm looking for is for someone to give the correct names (common names) of both species, their abbreviations are, "A" and EI"...!:eek::biggrin:

Winner get 12 blanks, yet to be decided, he/she pays shipping AU$18 (750gr.)

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 222
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 212
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

Krash

It looks like some sort of Juniper from the cypress family but I can't find any EI.

"A" may be Alligator Juniper.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It looks like some sort of Juniper from the cypress family but I can't find any EI.

I don't see juniper in these photos.
What I see appears to be a some outer bark and a thin section of wood near the bark from an "A" tree (lying flat on the bandsaw table). It appears that the tree was heavily encircled by some kind of vine (my guess is English Ivy from the "EI" clue).

So what tree has a common name starting with A that is not native to Australia?

Judging by the size of these vines and the relative flatness of the tree slices, I'd say that this was a fairly large & old tree trunk - probably close to 3' in diameter. It seems to have a very thin bark layer for being such a large & old tree, so that may be a useful clue.

Of course, I've been wrong many times before, so my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that Australia has several native varieties of almonds & apples (Granny Smith in particular)

robutacion

I don't see juniper in these photos.
What I see appears to be a some outer bark and a thin section of wood near the bark from an "A" tree (lying flat on the bandsaw table). It appears that the tree was heavily encircled by some kind of vine (my guess is English Ivy from the "EI" clue).

So what tree has a common name starting with A that is not native to Australia?

Judging by the size of these vines and the relative flatness of the tree slices, I'd say that this was a fairly large & old tree trunk - probably close to 3' in diameter. It seems to have a very thin bark layer for being such a large & old tree, so that may be a useful clue.

Of course, I've been wrong many times before, so my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them. :)

Hi Edgar,

You have a great thinking mind and attention to detail but, you are not always right, neither is everyone else so, I like your "dismembering" of the image details, a great way to work things out.

I was quite surprised when you suggested an old tree at about 3' wide trunk but, you are correct about the "old tree" but the tree diameter was a lot less than that, not much more than a 1' round, and that is gigantic for those type of trees.

Another detail I can reveal is that, one of these species is part of my "timber list" while the other one is not...!:eek: yeah, that's right...!:wink::)

I can see that, most of you didn't have much trouble in working out what the "parasite" tree was, I have seen these things of fair size body but, I had never seen this size before.

The last example I recall of a truly gigantic Red Gum , over 300 year old tree, being suffocate/killed by Ivy, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. The top part of the tree has been cut some years ago, just to prevent any great damage to this property house and others in the vicinity, this happens to be in one of the richest suburbs in Adelaide. I was asked if I could remove the rest of the tree in a safe manner and with the aid of a crane company, it was removed, disc by disc, from the top down. The worse part was to hold on to a large/heavy chainsaw with a 6' long bar, that's a very heavy combination to the working with, inside of a bucket...! Pic attached...!

Some people ask, "how can the ivy see still green/lash when, they are no longer attached to the soil/ground...???"
That is the very reason why Ivy is capable to kill any tree by feeding off of it, the tree is basically sucked of nutrients from the outside, in....!:eek:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2404_(1).jpg
    100_2404_(1).jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_2405_(1).jpg
    100_2405_(1).jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 217

1080Wayne

Well if ash is only for burning , the only other non Australian native A on your list is amber , of the Liquid type , which I guess could get roped in by the English ivy . I know the English enjoy some amber liquids , and I have been told that the odd Australian does also !

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Carob tree and English Ivy

I have no idea how the "A" clue would fit in with Carob, but I don't think that it's native to Australia and a 1-foot diameter trunk would be a good sized tree.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Majestic Olive and English Ivy

The "A" might refer to the grades of your Majestic Olive blanks. :confused::confused:

robutacion

Majestic Olive and English Ivy

The "A" might refer to the grades of your Majestic Olive blanks. :confused::confused:

Not a chance mate, you need to use a very powerful poison to kill an Olive tree, they ate though as nails, Ivy of any sort, wouldn't pick a Olive tree fort a sucker...!:biggrin:

Well, in among the non natives to Australia, many of the tree species we have here were introduced, such as the fruit trees, etc....!

Would the below pic, be of help..???:)

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 204

1080Wayne

Interesting photo George . If I count the growth rings correctly that tree was only about 25 years old . I would have thought the damage that ivy could do would have been well known by then , so why would anyone want to endanger a fruit tree by planting an ivy next to it ? Just a rhetorical question actually - people still plant trees that will become very large adjacent to their house foundations .

Have a good day while I have a good night .

robutacion

Interesting photo George . If I count the growth rings correctly that tree was only about 25 years old . I would have thought the damage that ivy could do would have been well known by then , so why would anyone want to endanger a fruit tree by planting an ivy next to it ? Just a rhetorical question actually - people still plant trees that will become very large adjacent to their house foundations .

Have a good day while I have a good night .

Well, I never counted the rings and you may probably right, 25 years for a fruit tree is something that most species wouldn't reach, not even closer so, in the principle of things, calling it an old tree, was in my view correct, its trunk diameter is probably the biggest I've seen for a fruit tree of this type...!

As for why people would plant Ivy close to a fruit tree, I don't see that so abnormal, around here, people with fairly small yards plant the fruit trees close to the house, Ivy is well used as a garden ornamental plant, normally planted against one one of the house walls or in some wooden lattice in verandahs, etc. so, not being restricted, Ivy can send its shoots a long way from its base, people in the begining thing that, is pretty seen the climber greenery at the trees canopy however, they quickly take over, if left alone and this may have been the case with this tree.

I didn't cut it, an old Italian friend in the next town to which I swap fruit trees with some better burning wood so, he himself didn't cut it, as I was told, was the soon of the old lady that lived in that house that cut it down and he didn't had any use for the wood so, he offered it to this old guy to pick it up and clean the mess.

I never seen the place the tree come from, I know that was in the same town as the old fellow but, I never asked exactly where, he simply picked-it-up knowing that I would replace it with already split good firewood wood. Unless I would offer something that would attract this old timer, he would burn anything he can get his hands on, is preferred wood to burn is Olive wood and only once I manage to get a large Olive tree trunk from his hands, after some good cash offer.

I was lucky that he was tired of being working on that large Olive tree, not far from his home, at 70 odd, he climbed in a old wooden ladder and cut it all down from the top down, there was a new fence under that tree and he would cut everything small so that he wouldn't damaged it but, after 3 days (for him) going up and down the ladder, dragging the branches into a pile for later burning, a good 100 meters from the tree plus, carting all the logs into his yard, the old fellow left the main trunk for last, his chain needed replacement to cut such a large tree butt and I was lucky so speak to him has he had finished with everything else, less the butt and he was really saw and not too keen is having to handle such a large trunk so my offer, could not have been at a better time, had he recovered for a few days, I wouldn't have a chance in hell, no way, he loves is Olive wood on his fireplace...!

This was a story I told some years ago, some folks may remember...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom