Mr. Anonymous Game #22 @ 4/04/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Or .... I just found this

Many IAP members were also commissioned by Mr. Anonymous to produce 1 (one) special pen

Could the reason George was making this special pen was that he (or Merissa) was commissioned by Mr. Anonymous to make it?

Last edited:

Karl_99

This blank was something that he wanted to try and did not want to give up on for the pen that Mr A commissioned as a tribute to never giving up

rholiday

The pen was to be the one mentioned in the below posting.

As most of you know, when Mr. Anonymous decided to give Merissa and I a hand, I was also commissioned to make a pen from a blanks selected
by Merissa and put on a Majestic Jr. 22kt gold ballpoint kit.

For a while I contemplated to create a unique cast blanks that, I never did before and not would do again however, the idea I had in my mind didn't work after 3 attempts (materials didn't work together...!:mad:) so, I went back to a blank already made/existent and work on it.

The pen will be posted tomorrow so, I hope that Mr. Anonymous likes it and that you folks think that, the blank is worth the kit I dressed it on...!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Or .... I just found this

Many IAP members were also commissioned by Mr. Anonymous to produce 1 (one) special pen

Could the reason George was making this special pen was that he (or Merissa) was commissioned by Mr. Anonymous to make it?

Well, several people have suggested as much, so if that is indeed a part of the answer to this puzzle, further elaboration might be needed..
(just guessing :))

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The pen was to be the one mentioned in the below posting.

As most of you know, when Mr. Anonymous decided to give Merissa and I a hand, I was also commissioned to make a pen from a blanks selected
by Merissa and put on a Majestic Jr. 22kt gold ballpoint kit.

For a while I contemplated to create a unique cast blanks that, I never did before and not would do again however, the idea I had in my mind didn't work after 3 attempts (materials didn't work together...!:mad:) so, I went back to a blank already made/existent and work on it.

The pen will be posted tomorrow so, I hope that Mr. Anonymous likes it and that you folks think that, the blank is worth the kit I dressed it on...!

As Paul Harvey liked to say: "and the rest of the story is....." ??

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think I will bow out now - after all, it is George's contest :)

Thanks for letting me participate, George.

Krash

For a while I contemplated to create a unique cast blanks that, I never did before and not would do again however, the idea I had in my mind didn't work after 3 attempts (materials didn't work together...!:mad:) so, I went back to a blank already made/existent and work on it .....

but I did not give up, because true pen turners don't give up (a wise old sage once said). So, I tried and tried so that I could give Mr. A the special commissioned pen I dreamt up and that he wanted so that he could donate them to the IAP.

This is why George tried this process.

So, to answer the original question ...

The making of this pen was to serve a purpose, what was it...???

To not give up and to try to prove George's original concept!

Last edited:

1080Wayne

And the biggest picture that I can come up with is this : George being George comes up with a LOT of ideas that burn themselves into his psyche until he has an opportunity to exorcise them . That opportunity arose when Mr A commissioned him to make a pen , probably for his wife as he specifically asked that Marissa choose the blank . George therefore had a multi-purpose project in hand : he could try an idea that had been burning away for some time and thereby satisfy his need to try out his idea , his need to fill Mr A`s commission , and his need to thank Mr A with a unique pen for his generosity to Marissa and him .

It didn`t work out quite as planned , but that is his story .

Krash

Ha ha ha .... this is fun, huh Wayne?

Kinda like a creative writing class. We hope the teach likes our yarns! :biggrin:

Krash

Huuummmmm ..... I just reread this
"For a while I contemplated to create a unique cast blanks that, I never did before and not would do again however, the idea I had in my mind didn't work after 3 attempts (materials didn't work together...!:mad:)"

The pictures George posted for this Mr. A #22 game weren't cast. The materials look sprayed or brushed on. Now, his failed 4th step could have been placing these blanks in resin which didn't turn out like he had envisioned. Maybe this blue material is the luminous powder mentioned earlier and he was going to place some other objects around the luminous tubes in the resin so that the pen would look like a blue backpainted blank in the daylight but be backlit blue at night which would be pretty special. Maybe this isn't the correct answer but if George takes the bait and makes some of these blanks, I want one! :)

robutacion

Oh..., don't go mate, this a lot more than just George's games, and you know that, huh...??:wink::biggrin:

Its midday now, and I wait until evening (8 hours from now) to make the winner announcement so, you are most welcome to continue on teasing the guys and gals, you are doing a great job at it and poor Kelly, is going "nuts":)

Cheers
George

robutacion

Since we are almost finished with these Mr. A games, maybe George was making a special pen to give as a prize for the last one.

:confused:

Excuse me, and who told you that...???

These games started in July last year (2014), Mr. Anonymous request was that, I would keeps these games alive under his sponsorship for 2 years, as you may be able to see here we ended 2014 with the game #16 and $1,170 used from the $5.000 donated so, is not difficult to work out that, these game will continue with Mr. Anonymous backing, for quite some time to come, don't you thing...???

They existed before Mr. contribution and they may continue on after that money is all given away to IAP members, in the form of pen blanks from my "stables" so, that's a lot more learning and fun to experience...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Oh..., don't go mate, this a lot more than just George's games, and you know that, huh...??:wink::biggrin:

Its midday now, and I wait until evening (8 hours from now) to make the winner announcement so, you are most welcome to continue on teasing the guys and gals, you are doing a great job at it and poor Kelly, is going "nuts":)

Cheers
George

Thanks George!

It has been fun watching these guys twist themselves up like a pretzel :)

Krash

Since we are almost finished with these Mr. A games, maybe George was making a special pen to give as a prize for the last one.

These games started in July last year (2014), Mr. Anonymous request was that, I would keeps these games alive under his sponsorship for 2 years, as you may be able to see here we ended 2014 with the game #16 and $1,170 used from the $5.000 donated so, is not difficult to work out that, these game will continue with Mr. Anonymous backing, for quite some time to come, don't you thing...???

They existed before Mr. contribution and they may continue on after that money is all given away to IAP members, in the form of pen blanks from my "stables" so, that's a lot more learning and fun to experience...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Oh :eek: my bad!

I saw some list while I was searching .... FOREVER .... for this contest that the games would end in a couple months. I was probably delirious .... :bulgy-eyes:

robutacion

Cheers
George

Oh :eek: my bad!

I saw some list while I was searching .... FOREVER .... for this contest that the games would end in a couple months. I was probably delirious .... :bulgy-eyes:

Wow, OK, whatever you are on, is good stuff, can I have some of that...!:wink::biggrin:

It may be a miss interpretation of something that was written somewhere, unless, I'm now also sleep walking, turn the computer on and make all these mysterious posts on IAP..???:confused: anything is possible

Cheers
George

Krash

Kinda like a creative writing class. We hope the teach likes our yarns! :biggrin:

Well ..... yes , but I`m the one who took engineering because it was the only faculty that didn`t require an English course !

Engineers .... you and me both! :)

AND ... Edgar!

Huummmmm ... I'm seeing a pattern here. Need to go analyze it and put it in a spreadsheet. Maybe a PowerPoint presentation also. With graphs. And a 6-Sigma mean study. Maybe a projection analysis.

I all of a sudden don't have time to search anymore!

Last edited:

Krash

It has been fun watching these guys twist themselves up like a pretzel :)

... and poor Kelly, is going "nuts":)

Pretzels and nuts. All I need now is a beer to recover from this game! :beer: :befuddled:

I hope we have entertained you two! :highfive: :bananen_smilies046:
(BTW, I'm pretty bugged that Edgar figured it out and I didn't!)

Last edited:

Krash

This is what I saw ....

*- Donation - 22
IAP - Mr. Anonymous Game #19 @ 1/03/2015
Blanks value - $32.00+$10.00= $42.00
Australia Post pockets -$18.00 + $10=$28.00

*- Donation - 23
IAP - Mr. Anonymous Game #20 @ 16/03/2015
Blanks value - $26.00
Australia Post pockets -$18.00

*- Donation - 24
IAP - MAPG 2015
3 x blanks packs3 x $50=$150
Australia Post pockets -$35.00

*- Donation - 25
IAP - Mr. Anonymous Game #21 @ 25/03/2015
Blanks value - $90.00
Australia Post pockets -$18.00

I looked at the date for Game #22 and saw the end at Game #25 so I thought the Georlympics would be over soon.

Silly me!

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Well ..... yes , but I`m the one who took engineering because it was the only faculty that didn`t require an English course !

Engineers .... you and me both! :)

AND ... Edgar!

Huummmmm ... I'm seeing a pattern here. Need to go analyze it and put it in a spreadsheet. Maybe a PowerPoint presentation also. With graphs. And a 6-Sigma mean study. Maybe a projection analysis.

I all of a sudden don't have time to search anymore!

That might be a good thing . If we add in the cost of our search time to pens we make from blanks we might win .....

robutacion

And the winner is....???

OK folks, sorry for my delay is wrapping this game up but, I was all day sick as a dog with one of those migraines that make anyone want to crawl up walls, I haven't have one of these for a long time but once, they were almost daily events...!

Anyway, is late and I need to hit the sac so, I have to say that, I never saw a bunch of folks with this natural ability to make even the simplest of things, the most complicated one can thing of. I may admit that, I don't mind to throw a few slippery soaps into ones' footings, when come to some of these games and therefore, people get a bit defensive and creative at the same time about what the answer I'm after are all about,

This is a great example of that, firstly because, was a misunderstanding to what the question was really all about, and guesses started to come thick and fast, relating to the possible materials and procedures that I was trying to achieve and that, was never what the question was about.

Interestingly, Edgars' welcoming intervention and participation as my assistant for a little while, did throw an interesting twist to the whole thing and the "wild imaginations" started to flow and indeed, as allowed some of you to find the post/text that I had mentioned, have been written by me at that time...!

So, what was the answer to the question, "The making of this pen was to serve a purpose, what was it...???", very simply, the reason was to fulfil the request made by Mr. Anonymous, commissioning a pen from me at the same time that he presented us (Merissa and I) with the financial support to get Merissa treated ASAP and to be repaid by diving those funds into prizes and donations to IAP members, no exception...!

So, who was the first member to give me the answer that was in fact, the closest to this reality..?? That members was our friend karl_99 on post #62. The answer was given on the first part of his reply, the second part was the event that has happened after the fact.

The day that this all happened, I had no idea that Mr. Anonymous had also commissioned some other IAP members to make pens, I also only learnt a couple of days later that, the pens Mr. Anonymous have commissioned from everyone, including me, were to make part of a pen collection that Mr. Anonymous has decided to start and then donate it (collection) to IAP through its owner Jeff Brown (already done...!):)

I thank Karl_99 and everyone else that, worked so hard at "deciphering" the intent of the question, there were so many great ideas of blanks to be tried, maybe someone takes the lead on trying some of them, I may be one of them...!

Congratulations Karl, you are the winner of 12 blanks from my stables. You are familiar with the procedures (AU$18.00 shipping) from here on so, I'm ready when you are, and, I'm all ears if you have some "likes and wants"...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

It was great fun, thank you everybody...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations Karl!

I was pretty sure that you had an acceptable answer in Post #62, but I was trying to draw out a little more information about why Mr. Anonymous commissioned George to make the pen as well as the reason George had for making it.

I figured out the answer pretty quickly after George's response to my guess in post #35. I knew that George had made one of the pens in the IAP collection - (see: IAP Collection pen by Robutacion ) and my first thought was that perhaps he was trying to make another one. Based on his reply though, I guessed that it might have actually been when he made the one that is currently in the collection, and after a quick search, I found his post from last Sep when he discussed making that pen: commissioned-pen-mr-anonymous

So, George's objective in making the pen was simply to satisfy the commission from Mr. Anonymous, but Mr. Anonymous had the intent of donating that pen to the IAP Collection (unbeknownst to George at the time as he noted).

The hints I dropped were intended to draw you to the IAP Collection and to the post from last Sep so you could tie the two together & understand the full purpose behind the pen that George tried to make (and the one that he wound up making).

Never giving up referred, of course, to the fact that George didn't quit on the project when his first idea didn't work out. He simply found another way to fulfill the commission.

The DOTS comments were references to the special and unique feature that George added to the pen. That little row of embedded beads was a clever idea, is well executed and goes great with that kit.

Thanks again to George for these fun & educational contests & thanks to Mr. Anonymous for making them possible!

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I feel that most of you deserve some further "explanation" to the guesses and issues you raised, they meant a lot to us and in a way, they are all part of the actions of Mr.Anonymous to both myself and my wife Merissa.

Many of you were half correct about what that pen processes were and, where things went wrong. I can say that, the Majestic Jr brass tubes were prepared by using a piece of round wood shaped to accommodate the 2 brass tubes sizes, they were then spray painted black, as the base. the sparkly material I used, I don't really know its name, there is no information on the packs, I bought them on eBay from a Chinese supplier, they are used to colour women finger nails, in conjunction to the other material that have to be use prior and after.

They come in very small containers and in a box with many colours, 20 or more, there are all types, some more shiny then others, some are like powder, some are tiny little round balls and everything in between, they are normally use by coating the finger nails with a thick clear type varnish and then sprinkle these coloured materials over it, covering all the nail area, the excess simple fall dawn and is reused for the next time. After set, the nails are then covered with a layer of clear coat to keep everything together and water proof.

The pics show, the first coat, and the second coats (the darker one), after properly dried, I was going to create some effects using some of the tiny little balls that I endup using on the alternative pen I endup making, from a blank that the wife had selected some time ago for me to make a pen for her, when I had the chance.

The 4th stage on gluing these tinny balls turn into a nightmare when, I was using my 2oz botte of thick CA with a very fine nozzle to allow pinpoint accuracy, some how, the nozzle got clogged and I had to squeeze harder and harder to force a tiny bit of CA come out, In a way, this was good as was voiding too much glue to come out but, the bottle was full and was used/refilled many times, the threads of the nib get a bit "iffy" and in this case, the amount of pressure inside that 2oz bottle was such that, the whole nib exploded out and covered everything in its way.

As you could see, the 2 tubes were very close to each other, and the position I had it on, to rotate as needed, was over 2 pieces of wood I cut with a Y groove and used to put one on each end of the wood holding the tubes and not touch anything.

I had this "jig" set longways and had it all set up, on my bandsaw table, one of the most used work bench areas for me, it was a pretty clean and tedious job so, no need to cover the bandsaw table with news paper or anything, right...???

Wrong, the way that big blob of thick CA come out almost the hole bottle, it covered the whole jig and anything in it, went to the metal table and into the blade guides and in places I never thought possible.:eek:

This is thick CA we are talking about and nearly 2oz of it so, my hands got covered with it trying to save my work and stop the CA to run into places that was better not to. Was the nature of the thick CA that made it so much worse, I could no longer put gloves, my hands were burning from the glue and a little panic set in, for a few seconds, I was unsure what to save, my hands or the pen and bandsaw guides.

Everything had to be cleaned up fast and furious, I didn't touch the jig with the pen at that time I grabbed the can of acetone and pour over my hands, the bandsaw guides and table, it would be the only thing that would slow the setting process and CA strength. There is no need to try to explain what it was like, it was pure panic mode...!

After I got my hand fairly clean, I put on some heavy duty rubber gloves and moved the jig with the tubes glued to it, into another area, the only thing that prevented the jig to get stuck good and proper to the bandsaw bench, was the acetone that I kept pouring over it, a full 4 litre can was used on this venture, and if I didn't have it, I would have been in big troubles, (clue/hint here...!:)).

My work was ruined, was not the fact that, the CA has glued the ends of the wood to the "legs| I had made on wood, that was simple to resolve just by cutting those ends off but, I had used a special spray glue to use as the base to bond the coloured material, the thick CA as it set, reacted to the spray glue used and simple washed most of what was there away, in a very ugly way.

Was a lot of CA glue on that jig and tubes that wasn't yet dry so, touching it only meant, get more CA over my hands/gloves. At that time, I grabbed some news papers, wrapped the whole thing in it so that no glue would come out and dry inside.

It was more than clear to me that, both tubes were destroyed and not worth to recover, I had a few spare sets of them, just in case. it took me hours to have everything cleaned up, I had dry glue on my hands that didn't come out with the many paper towels soaked with the acetone. I had lots of skin burns on my hands and they were painful as hell, I only got some relief when I had everything clean and went to the house to get some tooth paste.

Tooth paste you would say.??? If raw meat is not exposed on the burnt areas, one of the best things I was tough to use was the tooth paste, covering all the area with a few mm thickness of the paste, If possible, don't wrap it, the thick layer will reduce the amount of heat and pain, in a way that, unless you have experience it, you wouldn't believe, Merissa and I have had plenty of burns that are quickly covered with the tooth paste, any tooth paste.

One of the things that we have noticed is that, the majority of times, the fluid bobble(s) that are normally associated with skin burns, do not form therefore, the wound heals faster and better. Do not believe me if you so wish, I know how it goes but, the next time you burn yourself, and if you think that you have nothing to lose by trying it, please go ahead and make sure to share with all of us of your experience (clue/hint here...!:))

Yes, is correct that, I do not give up that easy and have demonstrated that in many occasions however, there were 2 reasons why I did not attempt to try to do another one the same, the blue material I had used was pretty most gone and I didn't have any more of that colour and the other colours didn't attract me for this purpose, I couldn't find this stuff again on eBay, the seller I bough it from, is no longer on eBay, I bough these materials all from the same place and some years prior so, I stop looking.

The second reason was that, I need to get the commissioned pen done and sent, and in consultation with Mr.Anonymous the decision was made that, making the pen out of that McIntosh Apple wood blank that was Merissa choice, would comply with one of his requests (have Merissa picking the blank).

Now "connecting the dots" that Edgar mentioned, was an interesting remark of this part and indeed very true, why...??? because, there was one thing from the construction attempt of the failed tubes that, was put in the pen that endup replacing it, and those are the tiny golden balls that are seen all around the pen cap made, that was the only "material" connection to the failed one however, the sentiment behind it, was unchanged...!

It is not a "perfect" pen however, the symbolism that is attached to it, is very special to us...!

I hope that I have cleared a few things out and that everyone understand what this game was about...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Wow - What a catastrophe!

I can only imagine the panic as you saw the CA running down your bandsaw and getting the stuff on your hands. Thank goodness you had all that acetone on hand.

You have certainly had your share of strange adventures - bully ants, gympie gympie bush and now this. Let alone all of the other things you've gone through to collect all your great wood. Thanks for sharing your stories.

You may not have been able to make the pen that you envisioned and worked so hard on, but I really like the one you made as a substitute.

robutacion

Wow - What a catastrophe!

I can only imagine the panic as you saw the CA running down your bandsaw and getting the stuff on your hands. Thank goodness you had all that acetone on hand.

You have certainly had your share of strange adventures - bully ants, gympie gympie bush and now this. Let alone all of the other things you've gone through to collect all your great wood. Thanks for sharing your stories.

You may not have been able to make the pen that you envisioned and worked so hard on, but I really like the one you made as a substitute.

Hi Edgar,

I normally buy the 20 litre drums of acetone, works out half of the price of buying them in gallons. From the 20 litre drum, I fill a 1 gallon container and from there, I fill a 1 litre tin container that I got from other type of thinners so, I never let myself run out, when I start on the last 1 gallon, I order another 20 litre drum.

I also have the proper CA debonder a 8oz bottle to use on glued fingers and other small sensitive areas, small areas though...!

When you are the adventurer and fearless type person, as I have been all my life, experiences are lived that exist only in dreams to many other people, many of which are a direct result of the activities and situations, we get ourselves into, that and the unpredictability of many of those situations.

As one once said, "there is a reaction to every action" many times, I create the situations that cause the accidents/incidents just because of my "go forward and never say no, attitude" I'm sure, there are many other people out there, male and female that, have navigated in the same rough and dangerous waters, nothing new there.

When one seats in the couch watching TV or playing games, all day every day, there is not a lot that, those people expose themselves, appart from the obvious so, living life and living an adventurous life for most of my existence on this planet and in different parts of it, life become rich of experiences, some good some bad and that is just the price of living, is about.

Sure, I have lots of stories about nasty stuff but I have also stories about good stuff, that is what makes my life so rich, I wouldn't know how to live, in any other way however, doesn't make me any better or worse than everyone else...!

Not everyone likes to share their life adventures, good or bad, some people are quite conservative and private, to them, life experiences of any nature are not to be shared/told, I understand and respect that but, while quite conservative and private, I have always been very vocal about my life experiences that, for some people, sounds like fantasies and or self serving lies however, and as I mentioned here so recently, no one can maintain lies forever and not being exposed sooner or later so, in may view, it take all types but, I'm not certainly one of those...!

One thing that I never learn how to do is to, tell a story in a hand full of words, that alone has been the cause of some peoples annoyance, with my average posts size, to those, sorry for the inconvenience, but they will continue to be what they have always been, sorry...!:redface::biggrin:

I'm tired and ready to hit the fart sac...!:eek::)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Krash

I second what Edgar said. We benefit from all the ways you put your body and health in harms way by simply and easily clicking the "Buy Now" button or submitting a WAG on your games.

I want to personally thank Mr. Anonymous for his incredibly generous gift to George and Merissa that allows them to get a needed tune up, because his gift introduced me to georges-bits-of-timber's amazing wares. It also allowed me to get to know the man himself, Mr. George Valentine. You gotta love George, and we all do, because he is like Pit Bull, loyal to a fault and annoyingly tenacious while being straight forward but sentimentally kind. He is a friend without borders and all of us "up overs" feel a deep kinship with our "down under" friend. No doubt that if I am ever in his neck of the woods, or outback, that I will do everything I can to visit him and his lollyshop just to look him in the eye and shake his hand.

And, while I am deep in introspection, which is rare, I also want to thank those that administer the IAP. If you've never seen a list of the dedicated people who make this site all it is, click here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f69/iap-management-team-roster-37012/
I never, never thought that by joining an internet forum that I would encounter such great people interested not only in furthering and showing their woodworking skills, but also investing in the personal parts of each other's lives. So many hard things happen in our lives that woodworking can be a hideout, but those things are still happening and we need to confide in people who walk this road with us. We all walk the road of woodworking and as we walk together, we can talk about the hard things of life and comfort each other. I see it happening every day on this site. So thanks to all of you for the most enjoyable walk together.

Time to turn off the emotional spigot.

You all have a great day!

lyonsacc

I can't imagine the panic - all that CA dripping onto/into your equipment and work . . .

I can imagine the words I would be saying as it was happening. My wife would have to get the kids out of the house quickly . . .

I snickering to myself as I try to imagine what that would sound like with an Aussie accent and with those fancier words that you use guys down under use :biggrin:

George - My horrible work stretch ends in about a week. I am looking forward to participating more in some of these contests . . .

Thanks for all that you add to the IAP - it is a whole bunch!

Dave

southernclay

Well said Kelly!

George, I think we've all had a few Oh S&$* moments with CA, stuck fingers, messed up work and the like.......your story is the heavy weight champion of CA messes :biggrin:

I love this forum and these games, thanks!

wyone

I absolutely love hearing about Georges adventures! Not all are perfect, but regardless he always comes away with something positive. That is a huge part of why he is such a great man and does so well in educating me, us actually. I never feel like George is speaking to a large group, he always speaks as if I am the only one standing in front of him listening and trying to take in even a portion of the knowledge he has.

I am VERY thankful to George, Marissa, Mr A.. and of course the entire IAP staff. You all deserve a special thank you.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well George... You do have interesting tales!

Wifey (the Chemist): Acetone will leach the fat out of your skin cells; hence the "burning" feeling. Not an actual burn, but the sensation is fairly stated; and not good! And she has no clue why tooth past would help, but will not question what works!

Acetone is NOT something you want to be too friendly with too often...

UCSB Science Line sqtest I think Answer #2 or #3 addresses...

And... I cannot imagine the thought of cleaning up your machinery, with fewer available fingers :eek::frown::eek:.

Be well Mate, Mark

robutacion

Wow...! let me first go back of few posts and clarify one thing that Kelly said, "We benefit from all the ways you put your body and health in harms way by simply and easily clicking the "Buy Now" button or submitting a WAG on your games."

Well, yes and no, if I wouldn't sell my woods, I would still to the exact same think, in fact, the big volume of wood I've stored over the years, was done so when I was not even contemplating in sell any of it, I was just happy to have the opportunity to gather these woods from destruction, and find a way to make the best possible use, from.

I use a considerable amount of firewood, each Winter, a estimate about 8 square meters of wood, I know because, where I store the firewood to be used that year, is the one of the sheds and is store against a wall that is 10 meters long and the pile is built about 1 meter tall and 1 meter wide. Wood is mixed (soft, hard) as it is stored and, at the end of the year, all we have left is a couple of yards of the pile left.

So, that alone is a fair amount of wood used but, a higher amount than that, was used on my crazy marathons of bowl turning, green wood or not that I turned for the first few years, the only thing I wanted is to sell the best ones at the local markets, to cover my costs, Power, tools, petrol, etc.

It happened many times, for me to bring my trailer full of wood, mostly green, straight to the house yard, dump the whole lot in front of the "turning shed", grab one of my giant 30mm round stainless steel shaft with carbide cutting tips, and rip into that wood fast and furious, it was like an obsession, and in some way, it was, I just had retired from some work I was doing in the centre QLD desert and for a full 12 years, I didn't touch any wood work, lack of trees and time were the big reality, and I was missing my green country life, the 4 seasons weather and lots of the trees I had grown up around, the Pines, the Eucalyptus, the Olive trees, fruit trees and vines.

I have found that and much more in my present location, and that overwhelmed me beyond imagination. Is like being starving and thirsty at the same time, nothing seems to fill you up when finally, you can gorge, huh...!

I recall to have mentioned here on IAP, a few times, some of my marathon weeks where I would dump 1 ton of wood/logs in the yard and, in less than a week, I had turned every single log into bowl blanks, mostly "rough turned" and soaked on Fungishield, the product I use to stabilize green wood. I mentioned that, by the end of the week, I was hitting the low roof of that shed, I only have about 1' of space in there from my head and I would turn and push the shaving around with my feet, after each piece, it would built up so high, that was uncomfortable the work on the lathe so, I would stop, fill many large bags with it and take them to the paddock to later dump into the farm rubbish dumping stop.

I wish Merissa had taken some pics of that, and me after a day turning green soaking wood, I would be covered in chips, wet sawdust, tree bark and so on, I nearly mounted a windscreen wiper on my visa shield...!:eek::wink:

Sure, I sold a few round bowl blanks for a few folks in Australia, and some to a good friend I have in Canada, IAP Gofer is his name.

Was years later when I realise that, I was running out of space to put all those rough turned bowls (I still have over 100, still waiting to be finish, one day...!) and was using far too much wood, when I was starting to slow down on looking for it.

Making pen blanks and other small wooden blanks, was my next passion, I was enjoying the "discovery" and "excitement" of using the bandsaw to rip each piece of wood, bit by bit and admire what was inside, yes Sir, that is my passion...!

I was cutting so many on all woods that, I needed to do something about it and that's when I started selling them on eBay, from there on, is all history that most of you are very aware of.

No doubt, appart from the electricity I was using in turn all those bowls, those times were a lot cheaper to run/support that the ones of making pen blanks of all sorts, as I do today, from the electricity to bandsaw blades, sanding belts and its sanding machines, pressure pots, vacuum pots, cactus juice, PR resin, and all the other casting items, wax, dyes, packing materials and so on, those costs needed to be recovered to allow me to continue to do what I love and have it shared, all over the world, 99% of those buying blanks from me now, nationally and Internationally, had no idea where Mount Compass in South Australia was, or even existed, they all now, know...!

Do I get monetary rewards for that, absolutely not however, there are other rewards that I get back, and those are all I need to keep me going...!

Can I please everybody...??? I try but, I can't...!:frown:

PS: Thank you folks/friends, for some very heartfelt words...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom