robutacion

George's Banksia pods...!:wink:

George

The obvious answer:

George's Banksia Pods

Who'd a thunk it? :confused::biggrin:

(By the way, that was a GREAT clue!)

Is it, isn't it...???:biggrin:

I got some just finished curing the Juice from stabilizing and they're no good, the big seed shells opened not when I had them drying and about 70° Celsius but, they did open from the 100° Celsius from the juice curing, they just fall/popped out and now the seed shell are mostly empty, the seeds themselves are quite pretty but, I can't get them back so, I need to use a special net/mesh that I use with the fragile Palm Root, too keep everything together until I cast it...! What a pain in the "posterior..!" :mad:

I will find a way...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

George

robutacion

Ok so, lots of Banksia species names however, on my second post on page 2, post #14, I mention that is one particular detail on some of my pics that makes it very distinct, or at least, by-passes dozens and dozens of other Banksia species.

So what is that "detail"...???

The detail is on the shape and size of the leafs on these species, have a closer look at the pics on the first post, there are not that many Banksia species with these type leafs so, what is your best match...???

Cheers
George

robutacion

I have almost gone blind searching for Banksia with that leaf shape!!!

Banksia's are one of the most spectacular plants in existence, in my view. They can be found in any type weather conditions, each plant has its own characteristics and strengths, no forgetting its beauty, particularly in flower.

There are just not enough colours in the "rainbow" to cover all its splendorous appearance.

Flowers can have many colours and many shapes/sizes, most produce a pods which are part of their reproduction system, these pods can stay in the plant/tree/shrub/bush for many years before it matures its seeds, ready for germination however, seed germination in its natural conditions is somehow difficult.

Banksia take in many shapes and sizes, some just no more than ground cover while others grow in to medium size trees.

Many of our coastal areas, particularly in WA (Western Australia) are full of many native Banksia's, large areas covered with nothing else but low cover Banksia shrubs.

I wish there was a way to preserve the colours and beauty of many of the Banksia species flowers, in a more natural way than take lots of pics, I have done that and I have also tried to preserve one of the purple flowers, my 2 Banksia's at home produce, every year, they are not native to this area/state but native to Western Australia but doing very well, here...!

banksia-western-australia-albany-western-australia1 (1).jpg

I have tried to cast one of these flowers with clear crystal PR but, the curing heat from the resin setting, burn/cooked the flower and therefore its natural colours...!:frown:

One only has to do a Google search on "Banksia Pods" here https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Banksia+pods+images&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=758&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FfkUVb7DLsnm8AXs-YKYBA&ved=0CBwQsAQ#tbm=isch&q=+Banksia++pods&imgdii=_and you will be amazed to the number of uses people found for these pods. Most used are the hard shell pods, they are sold all over the world, their size can be enormous, 40cm long and 10cm diameter, are sometimes found, those fetch very good money and are the ones most sourced (gigantic ones...!)

Its has been some years since I searched on the web for Banksia pods, I couldn't believe the new stuff I saw there recently and in relation to this game. Somehow, many of my pics from pods to finished blanks and everything in between, appears on these searches, I was in no doubt surprised with the number of images on the search results, that are my own creations...!

In this search, I also saw a great number of items created with the various types of Banksia pods that, I have never thought of or contemplated to make and as most of you may be aware, I have created a fair number of blanks from Banksia pods...!

I believe that, if one is to utilized the natural resources, this is certainly one of mother nature creations, that is not utilized enough however, exporting pods with or without seeds, is more trouble that you may imagine and one of the reasons why I have never made available to everyone, the various type pods I could source, I use/transform as many as I can, instead...!:)

This is not the first time that, I'm talking about/discussing Banksia's however, this game subject has created in me the need to find a way so that most of you would have a better understanding of what Banksia's are about...!

Thank you for listening...!

PS: This game will be wrapped-up very soon...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Karl_99

George: The variety of colors are amazing! In addition to that, it is astounding how they vary in both size and shape! They are like ornamental evergreens, but with the benefit of flowers.

Krash

Ok so, lots of Banksia species names however, on my second post on page 2, post #14, I mention that is one particular detail on some of my pics that makes it very distinct, or at least, by-passes dozens and dozens of other Banksia species.

So what is that "detail"...???

The detail is on the shape and size of the leafs on these species, have a closer look at the pics on the first post, there are not that many Banksia species with these type leafs so, what is your best match...???

Cheers
George

The leaf shape was how I delineated my guesses. :)

.... like Banksia gardneri

That said, I am still probably wrong. I find myself wondering not what the answer is but if I could grow one in New Mexico! :confused:

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

That said, I am still probably wrong. I find myself wondering not what the answer is but if I could grow one in New Mexico! :confused:

Same here - I'm bleary-eyed from looking for that leaf shape. Being on the DL, I haven't posted any of my guesses this time, but I have enjoyed learning more about Banksia. And I'm looking forward to seeing if I was anywhere close.

I'm also thinking about planting one at our home. :)
There is a nursery in CA that has about 15 varieties available and they will ship - don't know about prices yet though.
Blossom Valley Protea Plant List & Availability:

Krash

Same here - I'm bleary-eyed from looking for that leaf shape. Being on the DL, I haven't posted any of my guesses this time, but I have enjoyed learning more about Banksia. And I'm looking forward to seeing if I was anywhere close.

I'm also thinking about planting one at our home. :)
There is a nursery in CA that has about 15 varieties available and they will ship - don't know about prices yet though.
Blossom Valley Protea Plant List & Availability:

It looks like you are in Zone 9a which should be good.

I am in 7b which is pretty marginal for these plants.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom