Mr. Anonymous Game #21 @ 25/03/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Ok so, lots of Banksia species names however, on my second post on page 2, post #14, I mention that is one particular detail on some of my pics that makes it very distinct, or at least, by-passes dozens and dozens of other Banksia species.

So what is that "detail"...???

The detail is on the shape and size of the leafs on these species, have a closer look at the pics on the first post, there are not that many Banksia species with these type leafs so, what is your best match...???

Cheers
George

The leaf shape was how I delineated my guesses. :)

.... like Banksia gardneri

That said, I am still probably wrong. I find myself wondering not what the answer is but if I could grow one in New Mexico! :confused:

My guesses were based on leaf shape and seed head size . And I hope to never see the amount of global warming that would let me grow them in Alberta Zone 3a !!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think it was one of the early guesses and George is just letting us twist in the wind :wink:

I'll have to look for another Banksia source - Blossom Valley Nursery is out of business. The owner blames excessive government regulation for their demise.

robutacion

And the winner is....???

Ok peoples, let see who was closer...!

Not as easy as some may have though, there are few Banksia species that while having a similar cone, the leafs are totally different make it not the correct answer. There are other that have a similar leaf but the pods and plant are very different, such as the Banksia Kookeriana, that no one mentioned.

The correct answer is "Banksia Speciosa"...!

Have a look here https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Banksia+speciosa+images&es_sm=93&biw=1536&bih=716&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rhYWVd-CNsbTmAWy4oCIBg&ved=0CBwQsAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=9J_KyHgICrBN7M%253A%3B3rbDm9qojOZKYM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Flh4.ggpht.com%252F-IU3xurM4x-s%252FTqIXfBJBFUI%252FAAAAAAAAHRE%252FEo6fjEuo0Cw%252F111015_Santa-Cruz_UCSCA_Banksia-speciosa_04_thumb%252525255B1%252525255D.jpg%253Fimgmax%253D800%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.succulentsandmore.com%252F2011%252F10%252Fuc-santa-cruz-arboretum-australian.html%3B520%3B365

The bushes I got mine from, look like this here

My intent was to make everyone do a search and see all the different Banksia species out there, and while looking for a match, learn something in the process, I believe I achieved that...!:biggrin:

I didn't wanted to rush this game, I wanted to give enough time for everyone to have a good look online or on books so, I believe that has been sufficient time for that and is now time to get everyone out of their misery...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

So, you got it correct first...???

Well, the first person to answer correctly was "Skeleton 2014" congratulations Jeff, you won 12 blanks that I haven't yet decided what they will be, if you have suggestions, I'm all ears...!
Paypal is AU$18.00, thanks.

There are 2 other members that got it right, Fitty on post #40 and 1080Wayne on post #45. I'm particularly impressed with Fitty, he only put one guess and that was the correct one, unfortunately, he was second...!

I continue to avoid DL's so, the 2 members in second place above mentioned, will be awarded with an extra 4 blanks, if they guess it correctly in the next game...!

Its disappointing to continue seen a lack of new members participation in these games, this was a good example of how pen turning experience is no advantage to correctly guess the correct answer, anyone, and I mean anyone could do a search and try to match my pictures...!:frown:

On the other hand, I appreciate all the faithful participants to these games of mine, sponsored by Mr. Anonymous...!

My nest game is going to be very interesting, I doubt that anyone here can work out what is in the pics I will show, its going to be fun, I can see it...!:biggrin:

Thank you...!

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations Jeff!
I was pretty sure that you had the right answer with that early guess.

Just as well that I was on the DL for this one - I didn't even see this thread until about 8 hours after you posted that guess.:)

Your next contest sounds interesting, George. I'll probably still be on the DL for that one too, but they are always fun evenso. :biggrin:

Thanks again to Mr. A for sponsoring these entertaining & educational contests!

fitty

I had a hard time thinking it was anything else, which is why I only submitted one guess. Thanks for the nod.

robutacion

I had a hard time thinking it was anything else, which is why I only submitted one guess. Thanks for the nod.

Well, I didn't think at all that, only that one could the the correct answer, have you looked at the Kookeriana Banksia..??? I could be easily fooled on that one and a couple more, this is the very reason why I was so surprised with your certainty to what it was, that is amazing work...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Congratulations Jeff!

Just as well that I was on the DL for this one - I didn't even see this thread until about 8 hours after you posted that guess.:)

Your next contest sounds interesting, George. I'll probably still be on the DL for that one too, but they are always fun evenso. :biggrin:

Well mate, you can't always win, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Since when, being on DL, has stop you from putting your guesses in...??:)

As for being entertaining and educational, that is what I envisaged for these games from day one, not always an easy task but, I do the best I can...!

Cheers
George

Skeleton2014

Thanks George (& Mr. Anonymous), that was an interesting game... Just happened to see the first post before anyone else, so I got my 9 guesses in.
Will send PP later today. As for blank requests, I just finished a "glow in the dark" Resifill you had sent me a while back. If you've got any more to spare, that would be great. Other than that... A banksia blank would be nice since that was the theme of this contest.
Thanks again, Jeff

Ok peoples, let see who was closer...!

Not as easy as some may have though, there are few Banksia species that while having a similar cone, the leafs are totally different make it not the correct answer. There are other that have a similar leaf but the pods and plant are very different, such as the Banksia Kookeriana, that no one mentioned.

The correct answer is "Banksia Speciosa"...!

Have a look here https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Banksia+speciosa+images&es_sm=93&biw=1536&bih=716&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rhYWVd-CNsbTmAWy4oCIBg&ved=0CBwQsAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=9J_KyHgICrBN7M%253A%3B3rbDm9qojOZKYM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Flh4.ggpht.com%252F-IU3xurM4x-s%252FTqIXfBJBFUI%252FAAAAAAAAHRE%252FEo6fjEuo0Cw%252F111015_Santa-Cruz_UCSCA_Banksia-speciosa_04_thumb%252525255B1%252525255D.jpg%253Fimgmax%253D800%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.succulentsandmore.com%252F2011%252F10%252Fuc-santa-cruz-arboretum-australian.html%3B520%3B365

The bushes I got mine from, look like this here

My intent was to make everyone do a search and see all the different Banksia species out there, and while looking for a match, learn something in the process, I believe I achieved that...!:biggrin:

I didn't wanted to rush this game, I wanted to give enough time for everyone to have a good look online or on books so, I believe that has been sufficient time for that and is now time to get everyone out of their misery...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

So, you got it correct first...???

Well, the first person to answer correctly was "Skeleton 2014" congratulations Jeff, you won 12 blanks that I haven't yet decided what they will be, if you have suggestions, I'm all ears...!
Paypal is AU$18.00, thanks.

Skeleton2014

Thanks, got lucky on this one.
It's too bad that guy that sells banksias in California went out of business. The website you listed was still active. I wondered if they would do ok in my heated greenhouse? Also, congrats on your camphor wood score!
Jeff

QUOTE=edohmann;1756909]Congratulations Jeff!

Thanks again to Mr. A for sponsoring these entertaining & educational contests![/QUOTE]

robutacion

It's too bad that guy that sells banksias in California went out of business. The website you listed was still active. I wondered if they would do ok in my heated greenhouse? Also, congrats on your camphor wood score!
Jeff

There are some Banksia varieties that do very well in cold locations, NSW has the Snowy Mountains with snow for a few months each year, they exist down there...!

I just had a quick look at some of the Banksia varieties that do well in sub-zero conditions and this is what I got (look under "B") Frost Tolerant 25F-18F (-8C) • Australian Native Plants Nursery • Plants • 800.701.6517

There are a lot more sites providing you information on this issue and maybe, some places where you can get these plants from..!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Thanks George (& Mr. Anonymous), that was an interesting game... Just happened to see the first post before anyone else, so I got my 9 guesses in.
Will send PP later today. As for blank requests, I just finished a "glow in the dark" Resifill you had sent me a while back. If you've got any more to spare, that would be great. Other than that... A banksia blank would be nice since that was the theme of this contest.
Thanks again, Jeff

No problem...!

I do have at the moment, my first casts of these new pods in the pressure pot. One mold has 4 knife blanks, another has pen blanks cut in different ways from these pods. The problem is that, with the knife blanks, most of the seeds stayed in the pod as most of the seed shell wasn't cut, the same I can not say about the small pen blanks pieces, the heat from curing the juice (all pods were stabilized) open the seed shells that were already cut in half so, the bits of seed come out and I have only the hard shell of the seed pod.

I have mention this before and my intentions to use a special net/mesh that I use on the Palm root material to keep it together until is cooked from the stabilization, the blanks will look better (I believe( with those bits of seed still attached but, I had cut and prepared a couple of these pods when I decided to use them on this game, hopping to have some pen blanks (Resifills) to send as part of the prize...!

I'm expecting the knife blanks, which will not be to make knife handles but to make bases for e-cigs that this guy in Poland is doing with all sorts of Resifills I make, he don't know of these yet so, I hope that the decision to use a semi-transparent powder from Pearlex is going to created an identical effect as some blanks I made for him recently where I used some English Ivy that I got attached to some old Apricot trees cut some time ago.

The idea to allow the material inside the resin to be seen, 003 (2).JPG003.JPG006.JPG007.JPG

is a very tricky one, not because whatever goes inside (hole, etc,) has to be painted or maybe not, all depend of what it is, on a knife handle situation, the face of the blanks that will be glued/attached to the metal, will need to be painted with a matching colour on some nature so, on these pods, is still a little difficult to know for sure, how they will look but, if everything goes OK, they should look OK.

Leave and learn...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Krash

Jeff

There are some Banksia varieties that do very well in cold locations, NSW has the Snowy Mountains with snow for a few months each year, they exist down there...!

I just had a quick look at some of the Banksia varieties that do well in sub-zero conditions and this is what I got (look under "B") Frost Tolerant 25F-18F (-8C) • Australian Native Plants Nursery • Plants • 800.701.6517

There are a lot more sites providing you information on this issue and maybe, some places where you can get these plants from..!

Cheers
George

I may have to give it a go even tho it sometimes get colder than that here. Maybe if it is against the house the roots will weather the cold better.

Thanks for the .... fun? .... George!

wyone

well I only did one guess.. time has been short for.. fun stuff as we are getting ready to sell our house and move.. but LOVE LOVE LOVE these games. I learn SOOO much..

THank you to George and Mr Anonymous for this... I have not won in a while. I need to get back on my game.. :) :)

THanks again for the fun AND the knowledge

Skeleton2014

Get in the game!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (This pretty much says it all)
Blanks arrived last week and I must apologize to George as I told him I would post pics of these great blanks he sent me!!! Ran into a computer problem... "scratch disk is full" and spent last few days trying to figure out why my 500Gb lap top only has 58Gb total on the C: drive and sometime back Windows partitioned 400Gb into another drive that I have no idea how to get it back to the hard disk???

Anyway, here are the blanks George (and Mr. Anonymous) sent me. They are probably the nicest blanks I've ever gotten, either bought for myself or as gifts!
So, all the newbies and veterans on IAP that have thought about playing, get in the game!! These are premium blanks!!!

Jeff:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• Game-21.jpg
    Game-21.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Game-21-2.jpg
    Game-21-2.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Game-21-3.jpg
    Game-21-3.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Game-21-4.jpg
    Game-21-4.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Game-21-5.jpg
    Game-21-5.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Game-21-6.jpg
    Game-21-6.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Game-21-7.jpg
    Game-21-7.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 158

robutacion

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (This pretty much says it all)
Blanks arrived last week and I must apologize to George as I told him I would post pics of these great blanks he sent me!!! Ran into a computer problem... "scratch disk is full" and spent last few days trying to figure out why my 500Gb lap top only has 58Gb total on the C: drive and sometime back Windows partitioned 400Gb into another drive that I have no idea how to get it back to the hard disk???

Anyway, here are the blanks George (and Mr. Anonymous) sent me. They are probably the nicest blanks I've ever gotten, either bought for myself or as gifts!
So, all the newbies and veterans on IAP that have thought about playing, get in the game!! These are premium blanks!!!

Jeff:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Jeff, thank you form showing the 11 blanks I sent you...!

At first, I didn't realised that you were showing the groups of blanks on the 2 sides and all of a certain I thought, I never send him that many....!!!:eek:

Silly me...!

Prizes on these games are in most occasions directly related to the games subject ands they vary considerably so, prizes vary and sometimes I'm influence to pack some unique stuff in those prizes, they are not my rubbish, far from it and sometimes people get very lucky, and that is take.

You have to be in it to win it, the average games prize value has been calculated at about $50 per game, to allow the games duration to the total amount the prizes and donations to be given away, sometimes the prizes types blanks, do not reach the target value and other times, almost double so, circumstances will normally dictated then type of blanks that the prize will be made of and if they happen to me more economical, the total value is less and that is just the way it goes, there no preferences but the nature of the game that dictates the prize blanks...!

I have lots and lots more of all types blanks to offer to IAP Members in due time, there many games to go so, try to consider participating, you never know, you may be the nest one to get a prize like this...!

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Well George, the "monetary value" of your prizes in these contests may vary somewhat, but that is an insufficient measure of their true value.

As the fortunate winner of several of these contests, I have received prize packs from the low to the high end of the monetary value range of these packs. From my point of view though, every one of them has been equally valuable in terms of uniqueness, quality, beauty and every other measure of importance including the knowledge I gained in the process and the enjoyment of owning and working with these great blanks.

Thanks again to you and Mr. Anonymous for these great contests. I join you in encouraging other members to participate in these contests - what a great way to win some awesome blanks just for the cost of shipping.

Krash

Well George, the "monetary value" of your prizes in these contests may vary somewhat, but that is an insufficient measure of their true value.

As the fortunate winner of several of these contests, I have received prize packs from the low to the high end of the monetary value range of these packs. From my point of view though, every one of them has been equally valuable in terms of uniqueness, quality, beauty and every other measure of importance including the knowledge I gained in the process and the enjoyment of owning and working with these great blanks.

Thanks again to you and Mr. Anonymous for these great contests. I join you in encouraging other members to participate in these contests - what a great way to win some awesome blanks just for the cost of shipping.

Props to George and Mr. A!

Top Bottom