Mr. Anonymous Game #16 @ 27/01/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

This time I have a simple one, that has a little story and it goes like this;

Some years back, and when I only had 30 odd wood species in my timbers list, I saw a medium size branch on the side of the road, on the south side of the main road at McLaren Vale, the main town 25km from me and where we do most of the important stuff.

It was a very windy day and this damn branch almost hit us, it fall down within 10 meters of the car we were in. The speed was minimum as the town speed is 40km/h however, what this branch lacked in size (still big enough to block the road), was well compensated in weight, it was extremely heavy and only about 6" diameter.

Interestingly, and as always in those days, I wouldn't leave the house without a chainsaw, normally the smaller I had at the time, just in case. That day it came handy, I had to stop to move the branch out of the way, the road was narrow and the branch very long so, the traffic just stopped.

I was far too well dressed for any chainsaw work but, that didn't stop me from wanting to cut it down and take the wood home, instead of pushing it a side, with the help of some folks that very quickly got out to see why the traffic had stopped.

In no time, I was chopping the branch in 3 feet lengths and directing some of the bigger folks looking around, to put them in the back of my wagon. Was winter so, they all thought that was firewood but I had other ideas as I had been chasing and still am, for a full tree so that I can take some decent wood.

It happens that, this particular tree species, is quite common around these areas but, is not native, many Councils in South Australia, have planted these trees on the side of the roads, do not ask me why...! I kept looking at them and hoping to get my chance at one of them but, it never happened so that day, I could finally have a branch and see what the wood was inside, I was really curious...!

You couldn't miss these trees at the distance, why...??? because you would swear a fire has been through and burnt the rough bark, they are really carbon black. Everything but the small branches were left on the side of the foot path, away from being a problem for vehicles or pedestrians, the Council tree boys were out on calls from other broken trees so, they would pick it up later on.

It was quite funny to see those people faces when they saw me jump out of the vehicle, open the wagon's back door and walk away with a chainsaw smoking, and so well dressed...!:eek::biggrin: It took only a few minutes and I was gone, everyone went on their way also.

When I got home, I started processing the heavy logs and I realise that, the wood was really dense but very pretty so, I cut all logs into oversized pen blanks, strapped them and put them to dry for a couple of years before I touched them again. The idea was to get some more of that wood so that I could put it on my timbers list, what I had there, was not enough to put in on that list but, all these years later, I'm still waiting to get more of this wood and I start to realise the reason why, so many local Councils have planted them, they are very resilient to bugs/termites, etc, live a long time and generally don't fall down so, low maintenance trees...!

The day I had cut the pen blanks for that branch, and made a drying tower out of it, I wanted to identify it so that I could know what it was, later on so, I decided to give it the #93, as I already had 2 other species in the same situation. So, the pile was identified with the #93 and, on the timbers list that I had out at the time and near the bandsaw, I made a hand note with a pencil of where and how that wood come about, that way I would never forget...!

A few days ago, I decided to finish those blanks to have them listed on my new web-store, they are only 40 full size blanks but worth the trouble, in my view, I know that I put 2 of these blanks in my private collection, as always and the rest will be sold after we have this game done and dusted...!

OK so, the tree is a medium size tree, its a hardwood, very heavy, rough thick bark, looking like it has been burnt, its produces pink flowers...!:)

Now, the question is;

*- What is/are the common (or the scientific name) name(s) of this tree species...???

Game conditions as per usual, the same goes for the prize, 500gr (about 8 blanks) of something to be decided later on...! Winner pays the shipping, as per normal (AU$14.00)

Good luck,:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Skeleton2014

Just to clarify my previous guess on the common names...
Mount Compass Swamp Gum Tree; Fleurieu Swamp Gum Tree; Marsh Gum Tree

I'm curious, what happened to items 83 to 92 on the timber list? Just printed out the updated list 20/12/2014 from the web-store.

robutacion

I'm curious, what happened to items 83 to 92 on the timber list? Just printed out the updated list 20/12/2014 from the web-store.

G'day mate,

I have tried to explain that on my story but I may not have been clear enough.

When I first started creating the Timbers list, any woods that I would process
that I had plenty of it, even if I didn't know what the species were, I would give it the number next in order from the list however, the woods that I only had small logs and branches, I would give it a number that started at 99 to work backwards however, the information about the wood, such as where I got it from and so on, were noted on a timbers list that I had from the beginning, nearly the bandsaw.

Even when I would update the list, that old list would be left in the same place with the new/updated lists in front of it but, every time I had another wood in small amounts, I would give it the next number available after 99 and so on. There are today 7 numbers in there, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94 and 93, that was in fact the last wood I picked up in small quantities that I didn't know its name, at the time, some still unidentified...!

Therefore, and because they were never officially part of the list, they were never counted or shown on it...!:biggrin:

Hope it makes sense now,

PS: Great guesses I've seen so far, if you know what it is, even if someone else have already wrote it, make sure you write it down yourself, this is the only way I may award more than one person, if I decided to go that way, you just need to take your chance, huh...???

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'll go with Jeff (Skelton2014) on this one:

Eucalyptus sideroxylon
Common names: Red ironbark or Mugga Ironbark

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
hmmm well short of time this AM.. but I have to put in my guess after only an hour of research.. :)

Acacia farnesiana

Not likely - Acacia farnesiana aka Vachellia farnesiana and also previously known as Mimosa farnesiana is extremely common in my part of Texas where it is called Huisache or Sweet Acacia. In fact I have several acres of the stuff & no one in their right mind would ever plant it as a street tree. :)

It does have a beautiful pink heartwood though and I will be harvesting some more of it this year.

Skeleton2014

G'day mate,

I have tried to explain that on my story but I may not have been clear enough.

When I first started creating the Timbers list, any woods that I would process
that I had plenty of it, even if I didn't know what the species were, I would give it the number next in order from the list however, the woods that I only had small logs and branches, I would give it a number that started at 99 to work backwards however, the information about the wood, such as where I got it from and so on, were noted on a timbers list that I had from the beginning, nearly the bandsaw.

Even when I would update the list, that old list would be left in the same place with the new/updated lists in front of it but, every time I had another wood in small amounts, I would give it the next number available after 99 and so on. There are today 7 numbers in there, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94 and 93, that was in fact the last wood I picked up in small quantities that I didn't know its name, at the time, some still unidentified...!

Therefore, and because they were never officially part of the list, they were never counted or shown on it...!:biggrin:

Hope it makes sense now,

PS: Great guesses I've seen so far, if you know what it is, even if someone else have already wrote it, make sure you write it down yourself, this is the only way I may award more than one person, if I decided to go that way, you just need to take your chance, huh...???

Cheers
George

Thanks... It makes sense, now.
Jeff

wyone

Eucalyptus sideroxylon Mugga Ironbark

Appears to be the main of the species.. the Pink is more detailed

And for the record.. I did not look to see that this has been guessed like 4 times previously. LOL.. not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I like to make my own judgments and then go back and look at what everyone else guessed. :)

Last edited:

robutacion

Geezz, you guys seem all very "stuck" on that Mugga, huh...??:eek:

And if I would say that, most of you guys are.............!:):redface::confused::frown:

Someone said that, all my games are very difficult, really...???:biggrin:

As for my "tricks" sure, I like to play also and is most interesting to see the complete overturns some of you guys go through, trying to follow the clues/hints, some endup to be extremely funny...!:wink::)

So, what do you guys and gals think that the winner(s) should get as a prize...???

This is going the be very interesting to see...!:rolleyes:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Eucalyptus sideroxylon Mugga Ironbark

Appears to be the main of the species.. the Pink is more detailed

And for the record.. I did not look to see that this has been guessed like 4 times previously. LOL.. not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I like to make my own judgments and then go back and look at what everyone else guessed. :)

Yeah, that's the way it should be, if you believe you know the correct answer, always make sure you write in down...!

robutacion

well OBVIOUSLY we all need a book on Austrailian trees. :) :)

If was 20 years ago, I would say that you would be correct but, not in our days, the simplicity and accuracy of most web searches/google, etc., are the most economic, faster way to learn/find something so, you don't need a book on Australian Timbers, you only need to do some searches based on Australian trees that aren't always native therefore, they may belong/be native to, any other places around the world, it just happen that someone planted them in Australia and the George's got the chainsaw on them or, his shard wood eyes, have spotted it already dead, on the ground or other...!:eek::wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is...??? A bunch of folks...!

OK, OK folks, I know that you are all getting high blood pressure from the anxiety so, is better to wrap this up, before someone as a "fit":eek::)

The correct answer is in fact the Eucalyptus Sideroxylon also known as, Mugga, Red Ironbark or Mugga Ironbark.

Have a look here, and see what I'm talking about (some of you, may already seen this page), pink flower as I said...!:wink::biggrin:

Well, we have a bunch of winners, as I'm going to award the first person that guessed it correctly, with an extra 4 blanks (12 blanks total) (Cwalker935) Mr. Cody, so congratulations Cody, the all other correct guesses, will get the 8 blanks packs...!:wink::) How's that sounds...???

Everyone will get at least 1 (one) of these #93 blanks, the rest of this lot, will be listed on my web-store sometime tonight, I think..!:rolleyes:

So, who gets the second place...??

*- Skeleton2014

*- philb

*- edohmann

*- wyone

*- Karl_99

I wish that glenspens (Glen) had specified which of the species I was after...!:redface:

Well folks, this wraps this game up, another page folded in the Australian Tree species at the IAP Knowledge database, hope you learn something...!

Thank you to everyone that participate, these games are useless without your participation, regardless if you know the correct answer or not so, thank you all...!:biggrin:

Paypal payment for shipping is to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au.

The first place pays for 750gr. @ AU$18.00 and all second hand winners, pay the usual 500gr. @ AU$14.00

Thank you...!

PS: Sorry, I had to edit this post to add some pics of a Council tree that I have been watching for some years, dead smack in the middle of a town about 35km from here.

Can you see why...???:wink:

PIC00091.jpgPIC00092.jpgPIC00093.jpgPIC00094.jpg

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Skeleton2014

Thank you and Mr. A for the game (and blanks). PayPal sent a few moments ago.
Now a question, are we all on the 30 day DL (disabled list) or just Cody (Cwalker935)?
Jeff

Cwalker935

Woo hoo! Mugga Ironbark- sounds like a character from "Game of Thrones", "The Hobbit" or something like that. Paypal will be send shortly.

robutacion

Thank you and Mr. A for the game (and blanks). PayPal sent a few moments ago.
Now a question, are we all on the 30 day DL (disabled list) or just Cody (Cwalker935)?
Jeff

What a great question that is, and one that I never thought about, or I don't remember, I did...!:confused:

Well, by rights and to follow the reason why I introduced the 30 days DL after a win, was that, others could have a change however, this is a situation that was never brought out on, identical multiple wins but, it would be fair to say that, it would make a lot of sense that, those that were award a win of some sort, should wait 30 days before they should claim the next prize.

In general terms, a regular prize is composed of the identical prize all the 2th place winners will receive so, if you claim your prize, you will automatically put on the 30 days DL.

What do I mean if, "you claim the prize"...? I know that, this has already been discussed but, this would be a good opportunity to talk about it again.

The idea of offering multiple winners/prizes, is based on the principle that some folks find it hard to win something so, when I see a few members that are in this category and that, never won or rarely do, I like to extend the sentiment and give something to those people however, anyone that is part of a multiple prize awarding, has the right to deny the price by simple letting me know and everyone else that they, "pass" and therefore, do not claim the prize by sending the Paypal payment for the shipping cost.

With this said, this right would also extend to the 1th winner, and this would be applicable regardless if is a multiple or single awarding (only one person win), any winner has always that chance however, it would make no sense to play and then not wanting the prize or at least transfer that prize to someone else of their choice, the one way or the other...!

This would be more applicable to the person that played the game and is the only winner, in a multiple awarding situation, particularly it that intention was not announced at the game beginning, multiple awardings decided at the end of the game by me, is when participants that were selected on that basis, to say, thank you but no, thank you. Like I said, that is an option each person has to decide by themselves, I have to problem with the "pass" decision...!

If any of you have a better solution, I would like to hear it...!:)

Hope this clears your question...!

Remember, nothing stops you to participate...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

wyone

I was wondering if you had any pictures of the end cut of the logs you cut. I am learning to look at every piece of wood differently than I used to. I also find myself looking at the side of the road for any dead trees and or branches. LOL

So much to learn, but you make it enjoyable to learn. I keep thinking I will find an awesome piece of wood that I can post and send to you and some of the great members in this forum that have sent me things. I want to give back to show my appreciation.

Again, thank you to you and Mr A

Top Bottom