Mr. Anonymous Game #1 @ 22/7/2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

OK peoples, are you ready...???:wink::biggrin:

Here we go...!

Once upon a time, this area (Mount Compass in South Australia) had some very special tree plantation, that produced wood for many of the buildings in those days.

Those plantations are now extinct in the area, and have been for about 40 odd years. Some of the last trees from those plantations where cut and stored locally, most were use but a few logs, were forgotten and left underneath a large pile of wood that over the years, and due to the soft soil and lots of rain, got almost buried from all the weight above them.

A couple of years ago, it happens that I got hold of what was left of that wood, that after transported to my wood storage paddock, were clean and let to dry (water soaked) for a few months.

The logs looked all rotten or at least the half that was buried for so long, not huge but about 1' 1/2 in diameter, the outer wood was really falling appart but, in the very heart of the logs, only seen after the ends were cut back about 4", the log core looked as fresh as if the tree was cut yesterday...!:eek:

The smell it produced when the new wood was exposed, was out of this world, the only reason the wood didn't disintegrated into dust, was due to 2 things, one is that the wood is wood borer free, nothing likes to eat it, and secondly due to a natural property that preserved it to this day in such adverse conditions.

Where these 2 exact properties that made the wood famous and so well sourced as building material, unfortunately its slow growth capabilities made it not suitable for the fast and increasing demand of construction wood, other species took over as a result...!

So, the questions are;

*- What is the name of that natural property that this wood is so well known for...??? the same property that gives it that unique smell (pleasant)...!

*- From my "Timber List" found here, what is its number and respective name, as listed...????

The winner get 8 full size blanks of this wood (you pay for the sipping), I have straight cut, diagonal and cross cut type blanks, your choice...! (mixing is OK):biggrin:

Good luck everybody...!

PS: Only 1 (one) wood species guess per post, please...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Thanks Ironwood, your option is in fact a great one, it could possible be, from the strong smell when freshly cut and the natural oil, well known around the world but, not so much as a construction type wood, I'm sorry to inform you, that ain't it...!:frown:

All 3 guesses given, are from the Gum/Eucalyptus family, the thing is...! it ain't a Gum/Eucalyptus species, at all...! Now, this what I call a, clue...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Ironwood

Ok, I will have one more guess, if I don't get it this time I will leave it for someone else to get it right. :rolleyes:

1 - natural property is termite resistance.

2 - # 1 & 2 - Macrocarpa - Golden Cypress.

Last edited:

glenspens

I bet it one of these.......lol

1- Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress) limb/branch timber – X & Z cut

2- Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress)root/butt timber – X & Z cut 3- Pink/Rose Gum – X & Z – S/P (special)

4- Blue River Gum – X & Z

5- Yellow Gum – X & Z

6- Red Gum – X & Z

7- Spotted Gum trunk – – X & Z Spotted Gum Root (burl look) - #7R

8- Curly/Twisted Gum – X & Z

9- Colonial Red Gum (very dark brown) – X-Z & S(special)

10- Poplar – X & Z

11- Liquid Amber – X & Z

12- Willow – X & Z

13- Radiata Pine – X & Z,(BE birds eye),(RV resin veined),(Y&B yellow & Blue), (W white)

14- She/Bull-oak – X & Z

15- Holly Oak – X & Z

16- Black Wattle – 16a(heartwood, only),Dx(2 halves), X & Z , S/P (special)

17- Silver Wattle – X & Z

18- Golden Wattle – X & Z,S (stabilized), S/P, S/P-Z, S/P-X

19- Almond tree – X & Z – O (old wood), B (burl)

20- Wild olive (brighter yellows, less and light browns) – X & Z

21- Majestic Olive (A1++, A1, A2 grades) – X & Z

22- Old Olive Root (burl look a like)

23- Melaleuca – X & Z

24- Cork tree – X & Z

25- Knotty (knotted) Pine – X & Z

26- Platypus Gum – X & Z, B (burl)

27- White Wattle (not Silver Wattle) – X & Z

28- Flame wood - ST(straight cut, only)

29- Lucerne Tree - ST(straight cut, only)

30- Bottle Brush trunk/limbs and Root(Banksia sub-species)-B/T/R

31- Palm Tree - ST(straight cut, only)

32- Orange Acacia (Tulipwood look a like) – X & Z

33- Tortuosa/CorkScrew Willow (AKA BT)– X & Z, B(blue), N(new cut), O(old cut), BL(burl)

34- Toona Tree – Australia Cedar (aged) – X & Z

35- ST (Small Tree)– X & Z not yet identified…!

36- Cootamundra Wattle– X & Z

37- Australian Pear Tree (planted in 1890) – X & Z

38- Australian White Gum – X & Z

39- Australian Eucalyptus Peninsularis (oil producer) – X & Z

40- Australian Ash – X & Z

41- Australian Cherry Plum – X & Z

42- Camphor Laurel tree wood– X & Z

43- White Ironbark – Eucalyptus leucoxylon (Yellow Gum sub-species)– X & Z

44- South Australia Shiraz red Vine wood (approx. 40 years old)

45- Banksia "Hairy" pods (from my own yard)

46- Australian Lady Apple tree – X & Z

47- Stone Acacia (very old wood) – X & Z

48- Tasmanian Blue Gum

49- Australian Casuarina tree (She Oaks family)

50- Australian Apricot Tree wood (old fruit tree)

51- Australian Silky-Oak wood (old wood) – X & Z

52- Australian Walnut tree (from a local ex-walnut farm) – X & Z

53- Australian Blackwood tree (found locally) – X &Z

54- Australian Peach wood (old fruit tree)

55- Australian Mulberry – X & Z

56- Australian Grevillia bush – X & Z

57- Australian Peppercorn tree – X & Z

58- Norfolk Pine tree – X & Z

59- Australian Cypress (aged) – X & Z

60- American Oak (from barrels used by local winery to cure Port) – X & Z

61- French Oak (from barrels used by local winery to cure Port) – X(slightly shorter)& Z

62- Australian Fig tree wood – X & Z

63- Earleaf Acacia– X & Z

64- Acacia Acuminate (Raspberry jam tree)

65- Australian Sugar Gum

66- Australian Swamp Mallet Gum tree – – X & Z

67- Carob tree wood– X & Z

68- Pine Bark

69- Japanese Flowering tree – X & Z

70- Coral tree– X & Z

71- Australian Prune tree wood – X & Z

72- Australian Granny Smith Apple tree wood (aged) – X & Z

73- White wood (not yet identified…!)–X & Z

74- Australian McIntosh Apple tree wood– X & Z

75- Australian Lemon tree wood

76- Australian SA Ironwood (not yet identified…!)

77- Loquat tree wood (old tree from town next door)

78-Scarlet Kunzea shrub wood (Australian-WA native, lived next door/in town)

79- Red fruit small bunches tree (not yet identified)

80- Small green fruit/nut tree (not yet identified)

81- Eucalyptus Dura

Skeleton2014

Hope this is it

After reading and rereading George's description and after looking at each and every wood on his "Timber List", I would have to agree with Ironwood.
But, what about the "unique smell"?
Went to the web and found an Australian site, Golden Cypress Rescue Timber. Under "Timber Carving, they list the "Benefits of Golden Cypress timber" which includes " naturally termite resistant, with a slight spicy fragrance".
So, I hope this is correct:

Natural termite resistance due to the spicy fragrance.
#1/#2 Macrocarpa (Golden Cypress)

Jeff

robutacion

Ok glenspens, I admit, is one of those...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Ironwood and Skeleton2014, your information is correct, also a great candidate to my question but, Golden Cypress or Macrocarpa are very light and dry type woods, they have great stability but not a lot of strength so, not an ideal wood for "Construction".

In a particular couple of places on this Earth, there are people that specializes in "fishing" logs from this species family, that sunk from the old days of rivers log transportation, what made/makes those logs survive is a special property that many "old timers" may be very familiar with...!

There is a very good reason why I selected this wood to start these games series, I will try to get as many people try them, I have been talking about for a long time so, now is the time to make it possible for some of you try it and let everyone know, if I am correct or not is regards to a smell that you will never forget and that will fill the whole workshop for days, after you worked some of this wood on the lathe (or any other tool).

I doubt that I will ever find any more of this stuff, unfortunately...!:frown:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

lyonsacc

I like the 2 guesses ahead of me, but since they are taken I will go with:

#53 Australian Blackwood
Used for medicinal/analgesic purposes

elkhorn

Camphor
42- Camphor Laurel tree wood

Whoops! Sorry edohmann, I replied on the first page and didn't see your post. But, I guess great minds think alike :)

Last edited:

robutacion

why has no one guessed the good old olive tree? It has many uses, smells good while cutting and our good friend Goerge can't get enough of it ;)

Bruce

Probably because, Olive wood ain't a good "construction" wood, it has some of the ideal characteristics for such but, it does not produce long straight pieces, is temperamental as Hell (moving), not very good for nailing and or screwing, and is damn heavy so, sorry, ain't it either...!:wink::biggrin:

I like both guesses from edohmann and ottotroll very good candidates but, not even close on the smell I'm talking about however, Camphor Laurel when green cutting, produces a very strong and adorable smell to me (I suffer of blocked nose all the time...!:)) but still, not the correct answers...!

I'm very surprised that, particularly the fellows in the US, have not yet worked it out, after I gave my last clue about, "log fishing"...!

I did not anticipate the difficulty in getting the correct answer, and some how, it validates my suspicions that, you guys and gals, have never touched this wood, you would not forget its smell and therefore its name.

I have had this wood (pen blanks) on sale on my eBay store for 2 years, I sold a few packs mainly due to what I did to the samples and the pics I selected for the listings, people got curious about the looks and I never got a single reply on how amazing this wood smells unless, those people didn't like it, that is also possible and sad. I already spoke of it many time on IAP and made the reference of how ideal this wood is to make, "natural" finish pens, the you polish/burnish it, the stronger the smell gets so, to revive the pen's smell, a simple firm rub with a soft cloth, is sufficient...!

And remember, the value of this wood, is probably a lot higher than I care to consider, its now very rare wood to find, particularly in log form, old buildings recycling places, may have some, I'm sure but this one, has kept all its natural characteristics, within the containment of the raw log, preserved thought time.

This is how it looked/looks like, 003.JPG you just can't see and tell what is inside, it will surprise you...!

PS: Remember, each tree is different, this wood is like the old whiskey or the quality aged Port, time cured it, and did so, in very special way, I'm just glad that I got it before it all was lost, forever. As I normally say, "a little bit of something, is a lot better than plenty of nothing...!"

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Wood you be talking about your French Oak #61 on your list???

Bruce

Hahahahha, how, with and answer like that, I reckon you are trying hard not to be right...!!!:eek:

Why is it called French-Oak...???
It obviously grows in France, the barrels are made there and then exported wineries all over the world, including Australia.

I think that, there are 2 wood species in my "timbers list" that came from overseas, that is one of them so, not part of an old plantation from this area, huh...???:cool:

Very funny Mr. Bruce...!:wink::biggrin:

Try again, try better...!:)

Cheers
George

Cmiles1985

How about:
23- Melaleuca – X & Z

It would likely smell amazing when turned since it is the producer of "tea tree oil". I do not think the wood borers care for it. It seems it was once used for flooring and construction.

Skeleton2014

"Tea tree oil"

I like that answer because of the tea tree oil connection... But, I'm going to go with #30 Bottle Brush because one reference I saw also called it the Australian Tea Tree. His list said it was also a "banksia subspecies". Looking at all of George's thread starts (8 pages +) and a lot of his posts, I really didn't see much mention of other woods that would fit this "game" than banksia pods. Oh, and I got out my order from him from about 4 months back and started scraping the banksia blanks to see if any "pleasant fragrance" emanated... No luck, my sense of smell is shot. Can't spend anymore time on this! I've got work to do.
Jeff

Skeleton2014

Never mind my post, my sources got mixed up... I think Cmiles1985 got it! Jeff

Oh no he didn't...!

I was only a couple or weeks or so that, I mention this wood on another threads where the wood is question was also providing a pleasant smell, confirmed by those that got some and tried it...!

Did you say that, you went and got some of my Banksia blanks from a previous order and that you scratch them looking for "the/a" smell...???
Well, not a great deal of smell on those however, you may have to do some more scratching, soon...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited by a moderator:

robutacion

Liquid amber 11
ambergris or turpentine smell

Sorry, ain't it, either...!

Take note that, only because someone has mentioned a particular wood species, and I didn't confirm with a yes or a no, doesn't mean that the correct answer hasn't been given yet, capish...???:wink: If you agree with someone else's answer, you repeat it for yourself, before I close shop...!

I may be looking for double or multiple winners, you know...???

I may not enjoy to see people "suffering" but I sometimes, don't confirm the correct answer, straightaway, there is the time zones to start and then is the fact that, I don't let it go pass, further than the end of my day...!

No, I'm not a bastard...!:eek: I like to give everybody, as many chances as I possible can, including all the clues and other stuff, and this is the first of these games series, sponsored by Mr. Anonymous so, I want to make it count as great fun...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Skeleton2014

A final answer

After reading George's post on 07/07 regarding the Huon Pine and his statement that he carries 2 similar aromatics, #2 Macrocarpa or Golden Cypress... George shot this down earlier as being too dry and not strong enough for construction... And #59 Australian Cypress (old plantation). The latter will be my final answer because the oils make it termite resistant and also give it a pleasant smell when worked.
Jeff

tjseagrove

After reading George's post on 07/07 regarding the Huon Pine and his statement that he carries 2 similar aromatics, #2 Macrocarpa or Golden Cypress... George shot this down earlier as being too dry and not strong enough for construction... And #59 Australian Cypress (old plantation). The latter will be my final answer because the oils make it termite resistant and also give it a pleasant smell when worked.
Jeff

I agree with Jeff's analysis...

robutacion

And the winner is...??? a bunch of people...!

Hi peoples, the winners have been found, I say winners because, I decided to award the 8 blanks prize to all that answered correctly and or that, were close enough.

The correct answer was in fact, #59 Australian Cypress aged, and its natural oils/resins as it main characteristic, congrats folks...!

This is the list of those that got it right

*- knowltoh
*- edohmann
*- 1080Wayne
*- tjseagrove
*- Skeleton2014

Someone asked me, how old I though this wood was, on one of the logs I counted about 80 growth rings, the logs were cut about 40 years ago + 2 years in my hands, I would say about 120 to 125 years old...!

Now, and as the tittle of this post indicates, there is indeed, a bunch of people winning some blanks, the group 1 above get the full prize of the 8 blanks, in any cut style, you pick, you pay only shipping (AU$13.00) however, the second group bellow, and those are all the other participants, will get a second prize and that is 4 blanks of the same wood, you pay the shipping (AU$9.00), you pick the cutting type, mix matching is OK, you only need to let me know, possibly as a note of the Paypal shipping payment.

*- nascrdad
*- Ironwood
*- Sataro
*- glenspens
*- ottotroll
*- lyonsacc
*- Gofer
*- elkhorn
*- Cmiles1985

There is no point in sending PM's to everyone of you, with my Paypal payment details, most of you already know it but just to confirm the address is nyodine@yahoo.com.au
Please, try do do it ASAP and don't forget to put your IAP name on it, for easier identification from my end, thanks

PS: What I done with game 1, is not how other games will be awarded, they will be all different. I really would like to have everyone trying these blanks and then let us all know, what they think of it. On this eBay listing, you can see some finished samples and other stuff

Keep in mind that, these are "oily" blanks, for finishes other than burnishing with its own oils, you require to take the same steps as you would do, with any other oily woods

Anyone in either group 1 or group 2 that, is not interested in my prizes offer, is most welcome to reject the offer, I simply request that, those in that situation to PM me and let me know.

That decision/information will be confidential...!

So, this wraps up game #1 from this series, I hope you all enjoyed the challenge and thank you all, for your participation...!

Lets see what I will come up with, next...!

PS/PS: I apologise for a mistake with one of the winners of group 1, please verify that everything is as it should be, I get confused sometimes, sorry, I'm trying the best I can...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 011 (4).JPG
    011 (4).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 198
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Cmiles1985

Good day George, and thanks for hosting this game (thanks also to Me. Anonymous)!

I sent payment, but I completely forgot to put which cut, so whatever you have the most of (whatever the "red-headed stepchild" of the bunch) I'll go with that.

Thanks again, and I hope you and Merissa are doing well.

robutacion

Good day George, and thanks for hosting this game (thanks also to Me. Anonymous)!

I sent payment, but I completely forgot to put which cut, so whatever you have the most of (whatever the "red-headed stepchild" of the bunch) I'll go with that.

Thanks again, and I hope you and Merissa are doing well.

No "problemo"...!

Cheers
George

Ironwood

Wow thanks George, and thanks to Mr Anonymous !!

George, I will send you a PM as I would like to buy a few other blanks off your website as well, they can all go in the same package.

robutacion

Shipping update

Hi folks...!

All the members that have sent me some shipping money through Paypal, have had their parcels posted this morning, 28/7/14...!

All is out, and those that didn't send the shipping amount required, I give give another 72 hours for that to happen otherwise, they miss out, sorry...!

Maybe next time, huh...???

I would like to believe that, I can have everything sorted form one game, before the next one starts, that's about 1 week the intervals so, plenty of time, huh...???

The next game is going to be a little treasure, you wait and see...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom