I would like to make you an offer...! - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Thumbs up I would like to make you an offer...!

G'day peoples,

I have a simple offer for someone that is willing to follow the conditions/my request.

This offer consists of 4 (four) Resifill shorts (4") made from coconut crashed husk stabilised, died and epoxy resin of various colours (THIS HAS NOW BEEN CHANGED TO ACCOMMODATE A LARGER NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS...!) that I would like someone to put them on single barrel pens/kits that you see suitable and have some close-up pics taken and shown/posted on this thread so that everybody can have a look.

You only have to pay for shipping, AU$12.00 international and or $9.00 within Australia, I sent you the 4 blanks shown below and also a surprise git blank free of charge.

Why am I doing this, well, some time ago, I started to use this coconut crushed husk to make different types of blanks, including some/a few full-size pen blanks that sold at the time but I'm yet to see any pen properly done with these blanks and I wonder why they are the closest thing I ever made to the palm tree root Resifills that were a success some time ago, some still in stock from the last batch and the last blanks I will make out of that material as I run out and I doubt I will ever get another suitable root.

I find these blanks quite interesting and beautiful, recently I decided to use some of the e-cig blanks I made at that time with this material and sliced them into pen blanks that are only 4" long, some of these blanks and other of the same length were offered recently on IAP but, none of these has sold and I wonder why.

Is it because people don't know what to expect and how they will look when done..? are they concern the blanks are difficult to work with...?

I'm not sure and that is the very reason I'm offering 4 of these blanks (various colours) for someone that is confident that he/she can handle them without any issues and make 4 stunning pens out of them, that they can keep and do whatever they want with them.

I would like at least 2 pics of each pen and I strongly suggest that you use CA as the finish, the CA multiple coats will strengthen these blanks considerably and I also prefer to see that deep gloss finish.

I'm also expecting to see the pens made within 30 days after the blanks arrival to you.

So, who is up for the challenge..?

Put your name on, I don't think that this would be suitable for beginners or someone that has never worked with Resifills/hybrids so, I trust you will make the right decision on getting your hand up or not, I will respect you either way...!

Here are the blanks;

001.jpg

Are you ready...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/

Last edited by robutacion; 11-09-2017 at 07:42 AM.
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

George,

I've yet to try any of your blanks and would absolutely be willing to take these on. My photos are what I believe to be of decent quality and I can email you a couple examples for you to judge. Just let me know.

Regards,
Tim
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
George,

I've yet to try any of your blanks and would absolutely be willing to take these on. My photos are what I believe to be of decent quality and I can email you a couple examples for you to judge. Just let me know.

Regards,
Tim
G'day Tim,

I've seen the pics you sent me by email and I like what I saw, congrats.

I'm also impressed by your willingness and bravery to have a go, I can see you know how to work with resin/acrylics and that is a good start.

I really have no intention to "drag" this thread on to see who would come forward, however, I would like to give the opportunity for others to read my request and show their interest in participating in things like these as I have many other blanks that aren't that well known and I believe they deserve better so, your name is on my friend let me see what others have to say, you have a good chance to get this challenge, lets wait 24 hours and see what happens...!

Cheers
George

Last edited by robutacion; 11-06-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yep, do a bit of casting myself and those flower blanks in the photos were ones I made and turned. Those were interesting since they were dried but certainly not stabilized in any way. The green tea smelled great on the lathe! Just let me know... I have a feeling these would turn out to be the most expensive "free" blanks ever because likely I'll run out of excuses to not buy more from you. Thanks for the opportunity!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Yep, do a bit of casting myself and those flower blanks in the photos were ones I made and turned. Those were interesting since they were dried but certainly not stabilized in any way. The green tea smelled great on the lathe! Just let me know... I have a feeling these would turn out to be the most expensive "free" blanks ever because likely I'll run out of excuses to not buy more from you. Thanks for the opportunity!
Hahahahah, I'm not doing this so that you or others feel obligated to buy these blanks from me, nothing like that, I'm a lot more interested in making these blanks known and be appreciated by everybody, after all, they have not be hidden but I didn't talk that much about them and when I did, it may have been the wrong time, I don't know, either way, I believe they make stunning pens and is based on that that I want you guys to know about them.

Cheers
George

Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh I know... It's just... so far I've managed to look at all the beautiful wood you list and say "Tim, you have a blank problem... you need to make some of the ones you have before you buy new ones..." But, if there's a box coming over the ocean, it only makes sense to put more beautiful wood in it right??? I can't have those little guys getting lonely on that journey. It has nothing to do with my addiction to beautiful wood, nope not a bit.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 45

Please consider me a candidate, George.

I have 8 years of experience with about 800 pens completed ... no blow-outs ever.

Those pens are about half wood and half acrylic (mostly cast by vendors on IAP)

Nearly all wood pens have been finished with CA, 8 - 30 coats, sanded and polished to a high gloss using automotive polishes and Novus polishes. . My customers have been very impressed with the clear and brilliant results.

Acrylic pens have been sanded to 2000 grit with paper, followed my micromesh, and followed by Mequiar's automotive, followed by Novus 3 and then Novus 3 polishes.

I would love to do this for you, George, and can promise finished results within 30 days of receipt.

Last edited by magpens; 11-06-2017 at 10:01 AM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would be up for that as I turn a lot of single barrel pens just let me know where I fall in line here and if you already have someone that is fine as well very nice blanks

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Wce274 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am neither as experienced, or have the credentials as the others, but if you need a Ginny Pig, I'm your man. I would be happy to give it a go.
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Now that's an offer that can hardly be beat with a stick. I'd put my name in but my photography skills lie somewhere between 0 and none. I know we have some people here that can do them the justice that they truly deserve.

Even the wisest mind has something yet to learn
Hopco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads