Huon pine burr pic's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A big thank you to George for cutting me some box blanks pieces from his latest huon pine burr, they arrived with me today and I have already roughed some out into box blanks.
Amazing figure, beautiful smell and a pleasure to work with...what more could I want.

the two exhibition grade blanks

these are pic's of the lower grade being roughed out but even those are stunning

robutacion

A big thank you to George for cutting me some box blanks pieces from his latest huon pine burr, they arrived with me today and I have already roughed some out into box blanks.
Amazing figure, beautiful smell and a pleasure to work with...what more could I want.

the two exhibition grade blanks
these are pic's of the lower grade being roughed out but even those are stunning

Great stuff George, I almost can smell them from here, those 2 on the lathe...!

I'm amazed of how fast you got those, using simply the Economic air-mail from Australia Post, not long ago, I would have only that sort of speed using the most expensive shipping option, the Express Post International, that cost about 3 times more...!:eek:

Well, I'm touching wood just in case I'm not jinxing myself...!:eek::redface:

Anyways, I'm sure that you will show us so exquisite work out of the blanks I sent you, those 2 exhibition grade ones will make a very special piece, I'm sure of that...!

And as for the smell, and just in case some people don't know, is the natural oils of this wood that give the fragrance when the wood is worked on, the more you heat the wood with friction, either from the cutting tool rubbing or simply polishing it, the stronger the smell will get.

The wood as the smell even if not worked on, just not as strong as when worked on. When in the oven, the smell is the strongest I noticed but, working on a simple and small piece of thos wood as a pen blank, will give you plenty to smell about, and if you want to know if I'm exaggerating on not, grab yourself one of these blanks and take it for a spin, you will be amazed

I have 2 local woods here that have also a very distinct smell that is in many ways, similar to the Huon Pine, there are relatives in the pines/cypress species, one is the #2 Macrocarpa, a much more dry (oilless) wood than the other, the old plantation Cypress wood #59, that I'm very lucky to have some from logs cut well over 40 years ago. The centre of those logs are as oily and fresh as if the tree had been cut yesterday, also a great wood to work with, you guys need to try a couple of blanks to see what I'm talking about...!

That's all for now, sorry George, I get carried away...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom