Huon Pine burl Resifills...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Well, I never had Huon Pine burl to work with before so, now that I got a little bit of it, I done what I always do with many other woods that, I can't get hold of that easy and that is, use every bit of it, the best way I can.

Particularly with burls, there is a certain amount of material that is not suitable to make solid pen blanks, these are the edges of the cuts and the ends of the longer than required, pen blanks strips. These are what is commonly known as cut-off's, left-overs or simply "rubbish"

However, these pieces can be used with great effect to make the commonly known as "worthless blanks" that more often than not, produce better looking pens that the wood alone would...! (exception do apply)

So, after I process the small burl I had into pen blanks, was time to try making Resifills out of these oily pieces of wood (yes, Huon Pine is only...!) and see how they would turn out. Being aware of the wood natural oils, I treated the wood with a process that has been explained on IAP before, it basically removes the excess oil on the wood to allow the Polyester resin to stick sufficiently, after that, the thin CA takes care of the rest...!

I got them finished last night, I sprayed the varnish late at night and the weather was miserable, cold, rain and wind, something that did affect the location where I normally spray my blanks so, after they were sprayed, I took them to the house and put them over the firewood place, in a room that was also nice an warm. Slow dry varnish, rain and cold temperatures normally messes things up so, I sorted that out...!

This morning they were 90% dry so I took them to the veranda to take some pics before I would take them to the lolly-shop where they will finish drying and then, will be numbered to be listed on the new web store.

I just though that you would like to see how they turn out, I may have enough wood bits to make another dozen blanks or so, maybe not as many, will see but for now, these are done and are quite OK in my view, what do you're reckon...!

PS: The colours are sky-blue and black carbon and the second lot is black carbon with micropearl mixed heavy and hot so, there will be lots of effects hidden inside that black, so I hope...!

Enjoy,

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 575
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 649
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 339

SteveG

"... what do you're reckon...!"

George, I reckon thems be mighty fine blanks. Great work, not only with your finished results, but also with using all that you got the Houn.

Top Bottom