How many can you get out of it...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I have a question for you guys and gals and that has to do with some blanks I made/cast a couple of weeks ago (probably more:confused:) and that their size was the result of the slabs pieces I cut them from and not wanting to waste a couple of inches on its length if made them as normal size pen blanks.

I'm talking about Olive root blanks beautifully cracked and filled with Epoxy resin in 4 different colours, the maximum and average size after finished is 7"1/4 x 2"1/4 x 20 to 23mm thick.

I've got 22 pairs or 44 blanks and while they can be used for knife handle making and other projects my first thoughts were the single barrel pens that so many kits our days are made with, not so much the single barrels like the older Sierra kits but the little longer single barrel we see our days.

I haven't turned any of these new kits so I don't really know how long the blanks need to be but my thoughts were, they shouldn't be over 3"1/2 and so, each one of these blanks/blocks should yield 6 single longer barrel pen blanks, if cut with a very thin kerf blade.

I could Google and find out all measurements but why would I...? is a lot better come up here and ask the question and at the same time, I can showcase a little these blanks that I only photographed today and are yet to be listed (very soon).

So, how many pens can you make out of one of these...?:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 115.JPG
    115.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 118.JPG
    118.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 119.JPG
    119.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 238
  • 120.JPG
    120.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
2.25 wide? So that's 3 blanks across for me usually... Band saw takes a little material but just under 3/4" is plenty of space for me for most pens, even into the Jr. series. Those look great btw!

robutacion

2.25 wide? So that's 3 blanks across for me usually... Band saw takes a little material but just under 3/4" is plenty of space for me for most pens, even into the Jr. series. Those look great btw!

Yes, 2.25" wide so I know one can get 3 across but my question is in the length, how many long(ish) single barrel pens can you made from each board..? will it be the 6 pens I envisage..?

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Yeah, short-ish pens will need about 2" and long-ish require up to about 4". So, you could pretty easily get 3 short pens out of 7.25", or 1 short and 1 long. But wouldn't be able to get 2 long pens, without a little segmenting. So 6 total out of the blanks seems reasonable to me

Karl_99

The Vertex Click pen uses a 3" x 3/8" tube. The blank should be 3.25" long, It would be perfect for 6 blanks from those blocks.
Another favorite is the Zen rollerball which requires a blank about 3.75" long

robutacion

Thanks guys,

That is more or less what I was counting on, it would be OK to say that, the average yield per block is about 6 pens.

I've set the price for these at AU$30.00 per block/board.

The reason I paired them is that most gave identical pairs but they will be sold singly so, people can select one of each colour if they so wich, doesn't bother me.

I should have them listed tomorrow, they all weight slightly different but on average 250gr each.

Cheers
George

jennera

I will share with the goblin. I thinknshe might be interested in one!

Jennifer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom