Honeycomb blank test.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day,

A few days ago I was looking for something to print on my 3D printer, I looked into Thingiverse and while browsing along I saw an interesting type of honeycomb that I never have seen before, it was made with a small hollow space between the comb walls, like a ring inside of a ring so I downloaded it to have a better look.

The file, full size of this piece was only about 1"1/2 square and not that thick so I decided to magnify it to 140mm x 140mm x 23mm thick, I transferred it to the printer without looking how long it would take, however, it started in late afternoon and finished 17 hours later (all night).

I used a white(ish) CCU filament, this filament changes colour to purple when in contact with the light so I thought it would be a good candidate for this print.

I was not sure if that tiny spaces in between comb walls would fill with the resin, I used Epoxy and some translucent metalic blue with some sparkle hoping it would still allow the comb colour to change into purple when exposed to light but, I don't think that it worked, I couldn't see the colour change in the sun, however, I was happy with the way it turned out and more importantly the fact that, the 100PSI pressure did push the resin into those tight gaps in the comb walls.

I turned it into a pen sample this afternoon and took some pics in the sun to expose the sparkle and possibly the colour change of the filament but that never happened. I can't say that I used the best pigment colour for these type blanks and I would have to try other colours to verify which one would look the best but that won't happen because I'm not interested in making more of these, I know that we already have a member (forgot the name) that has started to make this type blanks commercially some time ago, I may have gotten the idea of download the 3d file and print it based on what I saw this member making and showing here on IAP but like I said, this was a one-off experiment and nothing more...!:biggrin:

I square piece gave 5 x 21x21mm square x 135mm blanks and one that was only 15mm wide, that was the one I used for the sample on the attached pics, I will sell those but I will keep the sample as always, one more for my extended collection...!:eek::biggrin:

Have a look and tell me what you think...!

PS: On pic #2 the blue show a lot different than on the rest, the true colour is probably between the bright and darker colours.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 250
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

George, thanks for showing. . Looks like you had fun. . Experiments like that are always interesting to do, for you, and to see the results, for us.

One person who does blanks of this type is Joey Keith

"Your" pattern is interesting and different from any I have seen before.

Keep up the good work !!

robutacion

G'day mate,

I wasn't looking for anything specific on Thingiverse that day when I saw this small sample/square that didn't show much until I zoomed it that's when I decided to download it.

Looking into the file I downloaded it into, the name of the file doesn't really tell what it is, however, that was how I found it.

I should be able to attach the file in here, let's try...!:biggrin:

Let me know if you can't open it.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• OpenScad_hex_grid_generator.zip
    390.8 KB · Views: 210
Top Bottom