Handling fragile blanks...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

There was a need for me to address some of the "difficulties" some people have been experiencing when turning my #45 Banksia Hairy pods Resifill blanks. There has been an increase of people trying these blanks and some are having a hard time with them, there are a number of reasons why this could be happening but, those are not what I want to talk about instead, I created a step by step demonstration, to how handle these blanks.

I had in mind to do it for some time but, a recent enquire made on my new vendors forum, as pushed me to had it done faster.

I believe that, the information contained on that demonstration, is applicable to many other type of resin embedded blanks, regardless of who made them, some people may find not necessary many of my suggestions but I also believe that those, are the turners with a fair amount of experience dealing/handling these type of constructed blanks so, there is a large portions of turners that may have never tried anything but solid wood or solid acrylic and my demonstrations will help them to tackle pretty much any type of blanks that can be tagged as difficult or fragile...!

If you want to have a look, do so with a little spare time, it will take some time to get through it all, lots of pics though...!:wink::biggrin:

Have a look in here, on post #2

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turn4fun

That was a great tutorial on how to drill, glue in brass tubes, turn and finish your blanks. I learned some new tricks. Thanks.

What exactly is a 40 grit flap disc? I looked at your picture of the half-turned blank on the lathe and couldn't understand what the tool was that you were using to turn down the blank. How do I make or get a flap disk tool?

Thanks again for a great tutorial.. Larry

healeydays

Great tutorial, but my wife says you need to put it in a video so she can hear that sexy accent (her words)...

robutacion

That was a great tutorial on how to drill, glue in brass tubes, turn and finish your blanks. I learned some new tricks. Thanks.

What exactly is a 40 grit flap disc? I looked at your picture of the half-turned blank on the lathe and couldn't understand what the tool was that you were using to turn down the blank. How do I make or get a flap disk tool?

Thanks again for a great tutorial.. Larry

Yes, I'm sorry to have forgotten to put a link to my thread where I explain/demonstrated what the "flap disc system" is. If you go back to that same tutorial, you will see that I have added the link I'm talking about, as another member has mentioned the same issue, just before so, have a look and you may want to try it out before you make any assumptions that may be incorrect however, I accept/respect those that have an opinion that is not favourable to my idea...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

OZturner

George,
Thanks for a great Tutorial, your detailed explanations, and photos are terrific.

I will be getting to my blanks in the not to distant future, so I am going to study your tutorial again to ensure that I have it locked into my head before I start.

Looks like I will have to get a 40grit flap wheel, and then let the dust fly.
Regards
Brian

turn4fun

George, I'm having trouble finding the tutorial. I clicked on the "here" link and it took me to a thread of yours. There were only 3 posts on the thread and so I couldn't find the 5th post (tutorial).

I found the 5th post just fine yesterday and read your great tutorial. You mentioned that you added a new link in that post about your flap disk. I was hoping to use that new link and read about the flap disk.

Did something happen to the "here" link for your tutorial? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thanks.. Larry

robutacion

Hi guys,

I apologise for the mess up, the tutorial thread was moved to its own space and therefore messing up the link and post number, that was corrected as fast as possible and is now working OK, sorry...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom