A few new blanks made recently...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I'm anticipating some time down in a new future so, I decided to concentrate on making a few Resifills and stabilized blanks, to last for a little while...!

I'm only now, starting to list more stuff on my new website, stuff that I have been doing/cutting/selecting, these last few months.

One of the new blanks are the ones used on the "challenge" I have going here, under the name "Free blanks and a Deal...!", some other were done before and some after, some are so fresh that the varnish enhancement coat is still sticky (this afternoon).

From the Coral tree wood, to the "mystery wood", Amboyna sapwood stabilized blue, some cast and some cast in natural raw Amboyna burl wood, to old Fig tree wood, etc, etc....!:wink:

I have also decided to sell some of my woods is slices, some a just too pretty to cut up into pen blanks, not because pretty pen blanks isn't good but because, I get to see some amazing works of art nature put together is many of these chunks of wood that, when sliced up, show their beauty but when cut into small pieces, loses all the natural design, the wood had, if you know what I mean...!

Sure, most have to be cut to get the pen blanks from but, there may be a few of you that would like the opportunity to get some of these slices, either to cut themselves or to use for something else, after sliced/cut, you can't glue them together, huh...???:redface:

Anyway, enjoy the pictures...!:)

006.JPG029.JPG031.JPG030.JPG039.JPG009.JPG011.JPG002.JPG017.JPG010.JPG001.JPG007.JPG014.JPG037.JPG094.JPG022.JPG071.JPG036.JPG

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, the ones that I finished yesterday, are now all done/ready for listing.

028.JPG051.JPG097.JPG

The Coral tree wood 4 x pack, that I have shown yesterday, had one sample that I made when I got the blanks stabilized and dyed, I forgot all about taking the pics of it so, I done it also today...!

014.JPG013.JPG

Another blanks that I made the sample yesterday was a couple of my #24 Cork tree wood that, tends to darken far too much as soon as you put anything on its surface, particularly, the wood from the logs centre (it doesn't have heartwood and sapwood, is all one wood type).

The idea was to preserve as much as possible the natural colour of the wood so I decided to stabilize a few blanks using the yellow dye from Alumilite. There is no lighter colour in the dye so, I got it done and finished. The yellow certainly is visible and it preserved the natural colour quite well, there is not a huge difference in colour from finished to unfinished, considering how dark it would get before...!

Quite interesting, what do you think...?

015.JPG016.JPG017.JPG018.JPG

Now and finally, I would like to show you some close ups from some of the Amboyna burl that I stabilized blue, compared to the Resifills done with raw Amboyna burl. What I mean is, when I first done my first batch of stabilized blue Amboyna sapwood blanks, I notice and mentioned a few times the interesting resemblance that, certain areas of some blanks have, with human fingerprints.

These tend to be more obvious after the wood was coloured blue and particularly, in areas where is some heartwood present (red wood). These "fingerprints" are not that obvious on the raw wood, and that was the reason why it caught my attention, originally...!

From too close up, they look like "layers" but, when put at some distance, the human fingerprint similarity become more predominant and recognizable as such. There is no other intention than show you, these interesting and quite beautiful markings and colours...!

Hope you like it...!:wink::biggrin:

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG

Cheers
George

Last edited:

southernclay

George I remember you talking about the "fingerprint" feature in the Birdseye Huon Pine. Amazing to see what's hiding inside these little pieces of wood.

Good stuff!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Awesome blanks & chunks, George.
Your work continues to amaze me.

Believe it or not, I will finish my "Free Blanks and a Deal" pen this weekend :)

robutacion

Believe it or not, I will finish my "Free Blanks and a Deal" pen this weekend :)

Oh...! I believe you mate, after all, you still want to win, huh...!:wink::biggrin:

Thank you for your compliments, moist appreciated...!:)

Well, sorry about the Sassafras, if I am to be able to speak of it as one of my local woods, I may have to plant a Sassafras tree very soon, it should be ready to be cut for wood processing, in about, 50 years or so...!:eek::)

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Oh...! I believe you mate, after all, you still want to win, huh...!:wink::biggrin:

Thank you for your compliments, moist appreciated...!:)

Well, sorry about the Sassafras, if I am to be able to speak of it as one of my local woods, I may have to plant a Sassafras tree very soon, it should be ready to be cut for wood processing, in about, 50 years or so...!:eek::)

Cheers
George

I've already marked it on my 2064 calendar - can't wait!

Top Bottom