Different way to look at it - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members
 
Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
edicehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,177
Photos: 0

Default Different way to look at it

I was lucky enough to win one of Georges contests. And I many times look at his stuff and drool over some of his blanks. But the costs always scared me. So I just did a little experiment,

https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.c...ks-of-8-blanks

This 8 pack of burl lists on his site for $40 AU for the 8 pack. The shipping to my house was $16 AU. So yes $56 for the 8 pack, but that is AU. Converting it to USD it is $42.25; so that is just a bit over $5.25 for burl blanks.
__________________
27 time Buffalo Wild Wings Challenge Winner
2 time Wild wing Challenge Winner
Likes: (2)
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,333
Photos: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
I was lucky enough to win one of Georges contests. And I many times look at his stuff and drool over some of his blanks. But the costs always scared me. So I just did a little experiment,

https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.c...ks-of-8-blanks

This 8 pack of burl lists on his site for $40 AU for the 8 pack. The shipping to my house was $16 AU. So yes $56 for the 8 pack, but that is AU. Converting it to USD it is $42.25; so that is just a bit over $5.25 for burl blanks.
G'day Ed,

That is a fair analogy and indeed one that I mentioned a few times in my threads, the dollar difference these last years is making purchasing from Australia a fair proposition, particularly if the seller offers fair prices.

With that said, and with the case of the blanks/packs you used in your "experiment", selling each blank type individually the price range would vary to a degree, some are more "attractive" or known burls than other's however, my decision to put them together some time ago and start by offering them to IAP members first, did not work and since on the web-store, the result has been the same so, I'm to believe that people even here in Australia think they are too expensive.

Interesting that you used those same blanks to put your point across and I haven't put much thought about them, it may be time for me to do something about it, I reckon I will...!

Thank you for the reminder both ways

Cheers
George
__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
Likes: (1)
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: central Minnesota
Posts: 3,883
Photos: 0

Default

I just placed an order with George yesterday. My GC covered the shipping. I am happy as can be. Yes, I did get just a little crazy but then I have been known to spend it when I have it. So I should have a very nice selection of blanks from George and will get to turn some different woods I have never held before.

Shopping......comparing costs......knowing the product.......all this is important when deciding where to send your hard earned cash. One thing I keep telling others is that you need to compare apples to apples. Not all woods are the same. Even when they are called "oak" that doesn't make them act the same. Part of the reason I 'shop' here first. The members of the IAP are honest and fair. They will tell you, if what you are looking at, is going to work in their opinion.

I am never afraid to ask a question. I have received nothing but respectful answers from those people I have talked to here. What more can we ask for? And by taking care of each other, the IAP gets nothing but stronger in the end.
Like someone else said......... "Thank you to all the members of the IAP."
__________________
It's not "Having what you want"......it is "Wanting what you have".

"Don't go riding on that long black train."

Last edited by stonepecker; 04-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Likes: (2)
stonepecker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
edicehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,177
Photos: 0

Default

Every day I get home since the 10th (the day the order was processed) and look for the box; even though I placed the order on the 9th (I believe). The wait is more painful that passing a kidney stone (HA).

I know it's out of Georges hands, and I am not complaining about the wait, it's just with ordering something and getting it 3 days later has me spoiled. I understand it has a little water to cross!
__________________
27 time Buffalo Wild Wings Challenge Winner
2 time Wild wing Challenge Winner
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,333
Photos: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
Every day I get home since the 10th (the day the order was processed) and look for the box; even though I placed the order on the 9th (I believe). The wait is more painful that passing a kidney stone (HA).

I know it's out of Georges hands, and I am not complaining about the wait, it's just with ordering something and getting it 3 days later has me spoiled. I understand it has a little water to cross!
Oh boy, you are worse than me, I hate waiting for parcels too but, I'm a long way away and even the fastest and most expensive shipping option from here to there (Express Courier International) will take at least 1 week, the option used f\was the Economy and therefore it normally takes up to 2 weeks however, I have had parcels sent to the USA using the same Economy option and folks received it in 5 days was the best time I ever had, and if it will happen will be around Christmas time where Postal Services here running double time and parcels get processed a lot faster that normal days.

In your case, the order was received on the 9/4 and posted on the 10/4 so, I would make a prediction/estimation of the arrival time around the 21 Friday or the following Monday the 24 but and as you said, its out of my hands and control, I can't track it because the option doesn't offer it, sorry.

Hang in there, the wait will be worth it...!

Cheers
George
__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
edicehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,177
Photos: 0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
Every day I get home since the 10th (the day the order was processed) and look for the box; even though I placed the order on the 9th (I believe). The wait is more painful that passing a kidney stone (HA).

I know it's out of Georges hands, and I am not complaining about the wait, it's just with ordering something and getting it 3 days later has me spoiled. I understand it has a little water to cross!
Oh boy, you are worse than me, I hate waiting for parcels too but, I'm a long way away and even the fastest and most expensive shipping option from here to there (Express Courier International) will take at least 1 week, the option used f\was the Economy and therefore it normally takes up to 2 weeks however, I have had parcels sent to the USA using the same Economy option and folks received it in 5 days was the best time I ever had, and if it will happen will be around Christmas time where Postal Services here running double time and parcels get processed a lot faster that normal days.

In your case, the order was received on the 9/4 and posted on the 10/4 so, I would make a prediction/estimation of the arrival time around the 21 Friday or the following Monday the 24 but and as you said, its out of my hands and control, I can't track it because the option doesn't offer it, sorry.

Hang in there, the wait will be worth it...!

Cheers
George
I hope it has a stash of pictures like what is below!
Attached Thumbnails
maxresdefault.jpg  
__________________
27 time Buffalo Wild Wings Challenge Winner
2 time Wild wing Challenge Winner
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,333
Photos: 4

Default

Quote:
I hope it has a stash of pictures like what is below!
Believe me, you wouldn't want to get close to one of those Eastern Grey big males, the standing position of the middle one (left on the fight) it reaches well over 2 meters tall, when they do that and stare at you, you may want to start running and look for cover with a tree or a bush and if you are in open land, good luck to you, if you were ever dumb enough to approach one of these in open land...!

In fact, and while you are asking for pics of that nature, I have some old pics that are called "the kangaroo revange" the "beast" in the vehicle's driver seat is a Red Kangaroo, a monster of an animal hunted/harvested daily/nightly for the Human consumption and pet meat market here in Australia, the same goes for those Eastern and Western Gray kangaroos, depending on the state.

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
grey-joey-wally-major-021.jpg   grey-joey-major-001.jpg   grey-joey-wally-major-020.jpg  
__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/

Last edited by robutacion; 05-13-2017 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Replacing original pics by request
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
edicehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,177
Photos: 0

Default

I have a question, they joke a lot that McDonalds uses Kangaroo meat (or at least I heard people say that). Now I know that is probably not true, just because of what it would cost to import. How does it taste?

I deer hunt and a lot of people turn their nose up at the meat, but if they don't know and I bring in a stew/soup the only thing I hear is them kitting the bottom of their bowl with their spoon.
__________________
27 time Buffalo Wild Wings Challenge Winner
2 time Wild wing Challenge Winner
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
robutacion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia - SA Adelaide Hills
Posts: 5,333
Photos: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
I have a question, they joke a lot that McDonalds uses Kangaroo meat (or at least I heard people say that). Now I know that is probably not true, just because of what it would cost to import. How does it taste?

I deer hunt and a lot of people turn their nose up at the meat, but if they don't know and I bring in a stew/soup the only thing I hear is them kitting the bottom of their bowl with their spoon.
I doubt very much that McDonalds in the USA uses Kangaroo meat, as they would source cheap meat/beef locally or other cheap meats, the Kangaroo Human Consumption Industry in Australia is rigorously legislated to the higher standards not found in most other meat industries elsewhere, that would make the price proposition not suitable for companies such as McDonalds.

On the other hand, is a shame that they don't because the kangaroo meat is one of the healthier, lean and cholesterol free meats known.

I'm not sure anymore which countries Australia exports Roo meat as human consumption, many years ago a large number of Europen countries have boycotted the importation of any Kangaroo products, particularly meats into their countries, I know that many things have changed and it may be possible to find this sort of meat in some supermarkets overseas, possible but not sure.

As for my opinion of how it tastes, I may not eat it as often as I once did but everybody in this house likes it, the 2 legged and the 4 legged ones, I don't buy it, I have a licence to harvest some every year from the local Golf Course under animal control program and as you said, most people wouldn't know any better because one of the properties of this meat is that is self-taste free, there is, you can make it taste depending on what you put on it and Australians are not the best eaters of kangaroo meat due to what I and many other believe, these animals are everywhere and can very easy become a pest and trouble.

The only disadvantage with the Roo meat is that, to stay soft and tender, it needs to very undercooked and all my meats have to be over cooked so, I like to use it in mints, they taste yummy.

I have started using a bow with the sole intent to find a place where I can kill a deer with it, Merissa loves meat and she never tasted deer meat, I have but I never hunted one, one of the few animal species in Australia that I never had the opportunity to shoot. I'm still looking for a place where I can go and not have to walk 20 miles in a day up and down hills chasing the damn things, too old for that, I have a tree stand and a blind not yet used, damn...!

I swap with you, 1 deer for 50 kangaroos...!

Cheers
George
__________________
"Don't give others what you don't like for yourself"

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
Likes: (1)
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
edicehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 3,177
Photos: 0

Default

Well the paying of shipping we could fly there/here cheaper. LOL

Where I live the deer eat a bunch of soy beans and peanuts, so it makes the meat a lot better than what I had as a kid living in upstate NY. It is lean like the Roo meat as you said.

Have you tried putting a roast in the croc pot with veggies and a can of cream of onion soup? I bet that would make it tender
__________________
27 time Buffalo Wild Wings Challenge Winner
2 time Wild wing Challenge Winner
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Content Copyright © 2003-2016 by Penturners.org, LLC; All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Service   Acceptable Use Policy