Clean wood storage, never enough...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

This is another of those jobs that needed done but been postponed for a couple of years however, I decided to get it done this Summer and before I find it more difficult to do such type jobs.

Many years ago, this would be a job that would have done in a couple or so days but now, ain't that easy, this worn out body, gets tired/exhausted very quickly but, is important that I sort the mess that shed was and make the best use possible of the covered area that I did a few years ago.

Like most of you, storage space out of the weather is never enough and I seem to get "stuff" growing is my sheds, like mushrooms in a pine forest.

I decided to share the work I'm doing to this space, I have pics of how the area looked like a couple of years after we moved in, the firewood was the first thing and the tin roof over it, was done after.
PIC00598.JPG

These are some pics before I started working on it, recently.
100_0686_(1).jpg 100_0683_(1).jpg

It's amazing the amount of stuff we put in such small areas, I had lots of longer logs in it that in time were sorted and used as needed, I had some of my best Olive wood slabs in there and many other pieces that I haven't seen for years.

Looking at the pics, you can see what I mean about, lots of stuff..!
006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG017.JPG018.JPG019.JPG020.JPG022.JPG015.JPG

After everything out, I leveled the dirt floor the best I could and got some re-used old pine boards to built all the shelving with. There will be a lot of weight on those shelves so, they have to be built strong.
010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG005.JPG

Has been a few days working on it and today I started building the shelves, I had a few extra working hours today, and I'm saw as hell...!:mad:

I will be updating everyday, after all the shelves are done, I have to put some fluorescent lights and cover the ground with something, either carpet or plastic tiles.

All around this shed, I will need to cover the sites with shade-cloth to match the existent areas.

I have my old large fridge that I will make into a wood drying kiln, I have been waiting for the opportunity to do that for some years, it will be set-up in this new storage area together with other metal shelving/racks that I have already and never used, it will be good when finally done. Anyone with a couple of days spare willing to give me a hand...? only wishing...!:frown:

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi peoples,

This is another of those jobs that needed done but been postponed for a couple of years however, I decided to get it done this Summer and before I find it more difficult to do such type jobs.

Many years ago, this would be a job that would have done in a couple or so days but now, ain't that easy, this worn out body, gets tired/exhausted very quickly but, is important that I sort the mess that shed was and make the best use possible of the covered area that I did a few years ago.

Like most of you, storage space out of the weather is never enough and I seem to get "stuff" growing is my sheds, like mushrooms in a pine forest.

I decided to share the work I'm doing to this space, I have pics of how the area looked like a couple of years after we moved in, the firewood was the first thing and the tin roof over it, was done after.
View attachment 157607

View attachment 157608 View attachment 157609

It's amazing the amount of stuff we put in such small areas, I had lots of longer logs in it that in time were sorted and used as needed, I had some of my best Olive wood slabs in there and many other pieces that I haven't seen for years.

View attachment 157610View attachment 157611View attachment 157612View attachment 157613View attachment 157614View attachment 157615View attachment 157616View attachment 157617View attachment 157618View attachment 157619

After everything out, I leveled the dirt floor the best I could and got some re-used old pine boards to built all the shelving with. There will be a lot of weight on those shelves so, they have to be built strong.
View attachment 157620View attachment 157621View attachment 157622View attachment 157623

Has been a few days working on it and today I started building the shelves, I had a few extra working hours today, and I'm saw as hell...!:mad:

I will be updating everyday, after all the shelves are done, I have to put some fluorescent lights and cover the ground with something, either carpet or plastic tiles.

All around this shed, I will need to cover the sites with shade-cloth to match the existent areas.

I have my old large fridge that I will make into a wood drying kiln, I have been waiting for the opportunity to do that for some years, it will be set-up in this new storage area together with other metal shelving/racks that I have already and never used, it will be good when finally done. Anyone with a couple of days spare willing to give me a hand...? only wishing...!:frown:

Cheers
George

Wish I was closer, I actually like jobs like that!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hi peoples,

View attachment 157607

View attachment 157608 View attachment 157609

View attachment 157610View attachment 157611View attachment 157612View attachment 157613View attachment 157614View attachment 157615View attachment 157616View attachment 157617View attachment 157618View attachment 157619

View attachment 157620View attachment 157621View attachment 157622View attachment 157623

Cheers
George

Wish I was closer, I actually like jobs like that!

Hey! I'm closer, Mark.
Come on down! :)

robutacion

Thanks guys...!

Yeah, I would certainly not mind at all to have some of you as neighbors or living withing driving distance, I have been looking for a long time for a young strong teenager that I could pay to help me out every so often and with some luck, be someone with interest in woodworking so that I could tutor him with an art that needs hands on people however, I have failed to find a suitable person.

My wife Merissa, she is in troubles at the moment, all my fault as always, was not intentional as I tend to consider her as a strong Aussie farm girl used to hard work but that, has been affected at a fairly young age with this damn Rheumatoid Arthritis that has been very difficult to control and to make things worse, she feels guilty of not helping and as soon as she recover a little from her bad right knee/leg and she can walk around she always look for something she can do outside the house and that is what happened a couple of days ago.

I was not thinking in doing any other type work until I had this new storage area finished but, I got someone knocking on my door enquiring about the grass condition of the wood storage paddock that every year we have to cut the grass, not only around the boundary of the paddock we rent but also everywhere, particularly around the wood piles, in concern of a fire.

Last year I had someone with a tractor and a slasher, cutting as much grass as he could reach and then we finished with our 2 commercial backpack wiper-snipers, 2 days of it.

This year, we just had no energy to do anything about the grass so, the local Fire services have sent their inspector to find out why the grass was not cut, it was thick and tall as always, a good 3' in most areas.

This guy knew us and he had watched us clean that paddock many times, he know that we felt that it was starting to be a big job for us so, and after we explain that we no longer could mow that grass, the fellow (42) that we knew and that had slashed it last year, has died of a heart attack, early this year and we didn't have anyone else nor we really searched for someone else because they charge a lot of money.

Anyway, this fire inspector has a commercial ride-on mower that cuts as wide as a normal tractor slasher and offered to cut most of the grass if I would be there and mark the spots that could damage the machine and also remove and clean some of the large gum branches that a windy storm knock down and also clean any other dry branches covering the ground, he would cut the grass for the same amount I paid to my friend that died and that was AU$150.00

This was 3 days ago he contacted us (afternoon) and he made a time for 4:00 pm the next day because after that, the weather predictions was for very hot temps, up to 43celsius for a few days.

So, the next day, I got the chainsaw and any of the gear I need to clean the pass for the inspector guy and Merissa was not willing to stay home and not help, she has been doing OK from that knee for some weeks so, she thought that would be OK to help but unfortunately, and after about 1 hour of walking and bending down, her bad knee went and she hit the ground heard.

That was the end for her, this has happened a few times before, not always when helping me, a few times when went shopping, and going to other places such as doctor, etc., She stayed in the car until I finished and the 4:00 o'clock come along, this guy was punctual.

I had to stay behind to help him but Merissa and the dogs had no reason to stay there so, she took the car and trailer, loaded with the wood we cut (firewood) in the trailer that is parked away with the wood still in, I have bigger fish to fry, at the moment.

Poor Merissa is back to lots of extra pain and unable to walk unassisted, it will be a few weeks of rest before that knee settles down, damn me, I should have prevented her to come with me to help but, I also know how bad she feels when she believes is OK to help but I still feel bad about it and I know that I will miss her help when I most need it, just is life, huh...!

Well, this is not the reason of my thread, the thread has a different story but, and for those that know me know that I never run out of true "material" to write on...!

PS: We only picked up the logs from the large branches we cut, all the hundreds and hundreds of sticks that were littering the ground, were pushed against the fences and in between the trees where the mower can't go so, I still have to go there, pile all those dry sticks/branches on my trailer and then transport them to where they can be burnt, after that, I have all those areas the dry sticks were and all around the wood piles to clean with the wiper-sniper, bloody hell...!:mad:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Snow..? I don't think so, I don't like it much...!:)

I took some pics today before I continued on from yesterday,
001s.JPG002s.JPG003s.JPG

and by the end of today, I took some more pics of where I'm at, sorry about that last pic, it didn't turn out much good but still gives and idea of the gap between the 2 raws of shelving...!
004s.JPG006s.JPG007s.JPG

The shelves I start building today still need a couple of upright woods to support the longer board spans, I'm trying to use the best wood I have to build the main stuff and use whatever is left to make those support legs.

I have made a critical mistake and that was to buy plenty of screws but, not enough of the ones I end up using the most, I have plenty of super long ones (5" and 6") but none of the 3" I need, a box of 100 didn't go far and nothing is open to buy some more until next Wednesday, bugger...!:mad:

I will continue to cut all the woods left and improvise however, I just remembered that I have all the electrics to do and also all the outside to cover with wire mesh, plastic and them shade cloth, shed floor, etc, etc, so plenty to do until Wednesday after all, I only do about 2 to 4 hours a day (afternoons), that is all I can so, things take a little longer to do.:redface:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi folks,

Another day almost gone and I would be correct if I would say it was the hottest day so far of this Summer. I'm working under cover with openings all around, normally I get a nice breeze through but today, not much of it so a big industrial fan got to work and cool me down considerably, thanks goodness.

I have used some other screws to keep things together but, they will need to be replaced as soon as the hardware store opens...!

The 3 bottom support frames/legs on the last built shelf are done, I now need to do the ones above and then both shelves with be done (after replacing some screws, off-course...!), 2 of the uprights main legs on this shelf were also doubled up to be a little stronger and match the rest of the legs.

One fluorescent light is installed and working however, I have not yet installed the light switches and power points.

002w.JPG003w.JPG004w.JPG

I'm hoping to get it all done and a lot of the stuff that is outside in the weather can be stored back in covered areas, before we have some rain, hot days always bring storms and showers so, I'm expecting it, soon.

One step at the time, huh...?

Cheers
George

Last edited:

beck3906

Wow, lots of wood stored there.

But one question.

I read a lot about snakes in Australia. Do you have any problems as wood piles like those here in Texas would attract all kinds of bad varmints.

robutacion

Wow, lots of wood stored there.

But one question.

I read a lot about snakes in Australia. Do you have any problems as wood piles like those here in Texas would attract all kinds of bad varmints.

There is no wood stored there yet, I have plenty of it that has been cut/clean in big chunks since June 2016, blocking completely the area behind my bandsaw where I store some and after running out of space, I started throwing it in a pile that was supposed to be a walk-way, it got so bad that I stop using that side of the shed and go around, all that with the intent to put it somewhere else but quickly I realised that, I just didn't have enough available covered area to store it all and that is the main reason why, I decided that I needed to re-arrange this shed area that had a mix of everything but with lots of lost space in between that I was not happy about, this new shelves will help me to keep most of those chunks off the ground and drying.

Snakes and wood piles...! sure, that is a good combination but so far, I haven't had any troubles (yes, I'm touching wood), not in my yard nor in the storage paddock. To be quite honest, this part of Australia is not the worse place for those type of creatures, sure, we have them and every year someone dies from a snake bite however, most of the snake species around here, will try to prevent confrontation and move away most times before you even see them.

Most are small with the King Brown snake species being the worse ones reaching 7' when fully mature, I rarely see them and quite frankly, a good snake is a dead snake.

I have been bitten by lots of creatures, and I'm still here...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Well, we had a shower through the night, I never heard it nor the ground was wet when I got up however, I could smell it and the sky was looking like, it had a lot more to dump.

Only a few drops during the afternoon, nothing much, the temperature dropped from 43C to 30C so, a lot cooler but very high humidity and I sweat a lot.

I finished with the timber work and started on the floor but, I never had enough so, I need to get some more of those plastic sheets/mats.

I have used these type of mats on my main workshop and other areas where I need to keep things off the ground/dirt and I never worry too much about making sure the ground is perfectly level, after I install these mats, I spread lots of sawdust over them and then use the water hose to soak the sawdust in and into the air pockets/low spots under the mats, give if a few hits with a large flat log and the vibration together with the water, the sawdust gets under and the mats will sit on a firm straighter base.

It's the only time I have a good purpose for the large amounts of sawdust I make that get's dump any other time.

010q.JPG011q.JPG012q.JPG

I covered with plastic some of the wood and other stuff I had outside just in case the rain get's heavier however, I used some of the floor space on the new area to store some of the equipment we have that will be store in another area that I also need to built but for the next few days/weeks, they can stay there, they are not in a way for me to fill those shelves with wood.

Looking at the sky when I finished for the day, it looked like the weatherman may have it right this time, will see.

I look forwards of having the yard cleaned up, again...!

013q.JPG014q.JPG

PS: The heavy duty shelve I first built in the lolly-shop, had at the very bottom, some wood pieces that I needed to build the new shelves legs so, I had to remove all the blanks I had in there and only today, after I knew I had enough for the new shelves, I cut a few board pieces to replaced what I had in there, I really didn't want to make such a mess but now, is another job I have to do. Most are rectangular blanks that I was selling years ago on eBay.

009q.JPG

Another day closer to the "target"...!:)

Cheers
George

Dinki Di

Great job George , I'll have to get you up to my place so you can teach me how to clean up my timber yard, I'm only a few thousand miles up the road and the weather is slightly cooler at the moment . Great job mate all the very best for 2017.

robutacion

Great job George , I'll have to get you up to my place so you can teach me how to clean up my timber yard, I'm only a few thousand miles up the road and the weather is slightly cooler at the moment . Great job mate all the very best for 2017.

Thanks mate.

The only help I can give you at the moment is to find a shaded spot at your place, sit in a good chair (beer is optional:eek:) and "bark orders all day long".

Do you have a few helpers? send them my way and when I'm done with them, they will have had a good warm-up exercise to continue on at your place, don't worry, they will the taught well...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

robutacion

I wish I could be this good at the lottery numbers, I was right, the rain has come and stayed all day and still going...!

The humidity outside is nuts, thanks goodness the the AC inside the house, I only went outside this afternoon to get the orders done that need to be post tomorrow, I never touched any tools and done anything else in the area I have been working on, I used all the energy I had these last few days and I had to rest all day.

I don't want to be in the rain, going backs and forwards to the workshop to get the clean wood I have there waiting, I don't want it to get wet either so, I will wait until the rain goes away, it can rain all day tomorrow, I wouldn't mind at all.

There is really nothing new to report but, I took a couple of pics when I went down to get those orders done.

001v.JPG002v.JPG

Cheers
George

Last edited:

stuckinohio

George, what a huge undertaking. I love the picture of the stacked blanks you posted. Neat!

I guess I figured you lived way out in the country, with no neighbors, but I see that is not the case. They are probably worried you will sneak over in the night and cut down their trees, if they are nice :)

Lewis

1080Wayne

Rained all day and not even a puddle ? But if you`ve been at 30-40 C for a while the ground will soak up quite a bit if the rain is gentle . The Ayers rock pictures a couple days ago were a bit more representative of extreme rain .

robutacion

Rained all day and not even a puddle ? But if you`ve been at 30-40 C for a while the ground will soak up quite a bit if the rain is gentle . The Ayers rock pictures a couple days ago were a bit more representative of extreme rain .

Hey, nobody has said that we had extreme rain, it rained all day and night but not too heavy, this ground/soil is 100% sand and of depth unknown, water soaks is very rapidly however, you can see a small puddle on the right of the water tank.

Last night it hit hard, not only the rain but also the wind and getting up in the morning, I see this,

002y.JPG

One of the 3 cables snapped (too rusted ou) in the very strong winds and "crash"

004y.JPG008y.JPG009y.JPG010y.JPG

The TV cable may be compromised as a result, we have no TV and Merissa is not happy...!:mad:

I'm going to call the landlord and show her the damage, she has to find someone to come and fix it, new pipe, new coax cable new stainless steel cables and we may the able to salvage the antenna, I'm not getting near that roof...!

Everything else in the yard seem to be OK...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

George, do us all a favour and stay away from the roof :smile-big:

Don't you worry mate, as tempting as it may be, the last time the antenna was replaced with a digital one, I did all the roof work while Merissa helped from the ground but that was about 7 or 8 years ago, none of us in the condition to try that again, no sir.

I have contacted the landlord and she have replied immediately as always, she is making a claim to her insurance and have contacted someone to do the job however, when that will be, she can't tell, there has been lots of people with a lot worse damages than ourselves some completely flooded and without roofs in their houses so, if we get considered per order of emergency, we have some time to wait and that will be OK with us, I can always get TV through the Internet while some areas lost their power since 2:00am last night and will be without electricity for another 24 to 36 hours and that is pretty nasty...!

I just come upstairs to have a drink, I was working on your order...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Bloody hell George didn't realise that area was so big!
Heard that you had a couple of inches of rain, bugger about your antenna.

G'day my friend,

All things considered, it could have been worse, huh..?

What area are you talking about? you have been enough times to know this place with your eyes closed however, I know that when storage places are cleaned/emptied, the area always looks bigger, I wish that was twice as big...!

Cheers
George

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
It never rains up here, some time we get very heavy humidity, up to three or four inches at a time.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

robutacion

It never rains up here, some time we get very heavy humidity, up to three or four inches at a time.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

So, is that what you guys there now call rain, the wet one...??:eek::wink:

Things here are getting done very slowly at the moment, so much to do and not much "gasoline in the tank", I'm looking forwards to see the projects I'm working on at the moment, done and over with, I know it will look good and I will finally get the working space I once had in the bandsaw area, what a mess, I should have shown you guys these pics taken in August 2016.

007.JPG006.JPG008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG

I started moving the wood chunks from there into the new shelves and because I can't get a weel-barrow or a trolley near where the wood is, I have to cart it in a plastic box, a few pieces at the time, with some steps up when loaded, about 20 passes or so, each way, heavy stuff..!:mad:

Is only fair that I show you how much wood I moved so far,

002b.JPG003b.JPG004b.JPG005b.JPG

I have all the bottom legs/supports on the last shelve built to get the screws replaced with the correct ones that only today I/Merissa manage to get, those bottom storage area still need to be finished with the plastic mats and the sawdust over it all.

There are other blanks still spread all over the place and here are some of them,
001b.JPG006b.JPG007b.JPG

The bandsaw working area is starting to look more roomy, a lot more to go , still...!
008b.JPG

And after all this, I still have to deal with this pile, that has been in the lolly-shop for many years and when I was only seeling square and round blanks, long, long ago...!
009b.JPG

Well, I think this will do for now, the weather seems to be playing games again so, I have to keep an eye on it.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

That's they way a shop is supposed to look. If there is a flat spot to stack something on you are clearly doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Yeah sure, but where am I suppose to walk...? over the stuff..? that is a little too full in my books and there is another issue and that is, you know you got something you need but where..? or if you know where but you can't reach it..?

That's how have been these last 6 months...!

This new storage area has nothing to do with "sales" everything there has to be further processed so, as a lot more to do with me preferring things organized and of easy reach, my back says, grabbing 1 heavy chunk of wood is better than having to grab and move the 5 or the 5 dozen of chunks that are on the top of the one I need, huh..?:biggrin:

In reality, this new storage area is not all positive, why? because now, I have to take the wood back to the bandsaw area to be processed when, the wood was already there (well, sort of..!) but is true.:frown:

There are never positives without negatives, is only a matter of which ones weight the scale down more, huh...?

Isn't it a truth that one day we all will have robots to do the hard work for us?

Can I have one now, please...?:biggrin:

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

That's they way a shop is supposed to look. If there is a flat spot to stack something on you are clearly doing it wrong.

Yeah sure, but where am I suppose to walk...? over the stuff..? that is a little too full in my books and there is another issue and that is, you know you got something you need but where..? or if you know where but you can't reach it..?

This new storage area has nothing to do with "sales" everything there has to be further processed so, as a lot more to do with me preferring things organized and of easy reach, my back says, grabbing 1 heavy chunk of wood is better than having to grab and move the 5 or the 5 dozen of chunks that are on the top of the one I need, huh..?:biggrin:

In reality, this new storage area is not all positive, why? because now, I have to take the wood back to the bandsaw area to be processed when, the wood was already there (well, sort of..!) but is true.:frown:

There are never positives without negatives, is only a matter of which ones weight the scale down more, huh...?

Isn't it a truth that one day we all will have robots to do the hard work for us?

Cheers
George

It might be more positive to invest in a second bandsaw George , if the cost negative isn`t too great .

robutacion

Cheers
George

It might be more positive to invest in a second bandsaw George , if the cost negative isn`t too great .

Second bandsaw? and put it where " up the top and in the new storage area? Ain't think so, another sawdust extractor, plumbing etc. would not be such a good idea after all, I'm trying to prevent most of the dust to get into the lolly-shop, until now the back wall where the new storage is situated, was always open but now, it is going to be closed with plastic and shade cloth as I need to protect the wood I'm putting in that back shelve (the first one I built) so, it will be a little more protected from now on...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I can confirm that George literally hasn't got the room for any more tools.
But then again Marissa probably wont complain if George starts moving woodworking gear in to the house.

And you are probably correct however but again, the house is only small and it is already filled with woodturning and other woodworking items I've made through the years and ain't going to put any in my bed, that's for sure.

Lucky that I have a big yard and a landlord that seems to be OK with how I use the space I rent, that has been a big help...!

I will keep moving things around, and find little spaces here and there...!

PS: Between "tools" and materials, I don't know which one is worse...!:eek::)

Cheers
George

Skie_M

Ya know, mate .... you'ld have a mite bit more room iffin ya just sell off a bunch of that there extra wood to us at a bit of a discount, an then ya might be able to get ya that second bandsaw rig... :rolleyes:

I'ld suggest first off that pile of random blanks/bottle stopper blanks/firewood that you wanna get rid of ... just post a pic of all of it loaded up into a nice big box and slap a price tag on it! I guarantee someone here will jump for it! :biggrin:

As for those beautiful bowl blanks and such .... didn't your momma never teach ya to share?? :tongue:

robutacion

Ya know, mate .... you'ld have a mite bit more room iffin ya just sell off a bunch of that there extra wood to us at a bit of a discount, an then ya might be able to get ya that second bandsaw rig... :rolleyes:

I'ld suggest first off that pile of random blanks/bottle stopper blanks/firewood that you wanna get rid of ... just post a pic of all of it loaded up into a nice big box and slap a price tag on it! I guarantee someone here will jump for it! :biggrin:

As for those beautiful bowl blanks and such .... didn't your momma never teach ya to share?? :tongue:

What...???:eek::eek::eek:

No, no no..., I don't want any second bandsaw, I'm happy to take one piece at the time to the workshop area and have sufficient room to stand up and swing the wood around.

I already have a very large box of bottle stopper blanks of all sorts (woods) I once had them on sale but didn't do much good, whatever I feel is a little better I cut it into those blank types but the rest I wouldn't worry about, I have already spent enough time and money fiddling with them and as hard as this is for me to say, I also need firewood and it has to come from somehwere, huh..?

Actually, and now that we are talking about bottle stopper blanks, I already have a big bunch of mixed woods of these blanks to send to the Vision Impaired group in the USA, to be sent in a big box together with bigger blanks of all sorts and all sorts of goodies.

If you are nearby, please you are most welcome to drop by and grab a big handful of them and other stuff, my visitors never go empty handed but, international shipping is the killer and even if given free, the money it would cost per kg is not worth it, not for most of the wood I've got in there, such as Macrocarpa, and other no so pretty woods/pretty plain...!

Geezz mate, yes, my momma told me that, and I have been sharing my woods for over 10 years, once upon a time were only round and square blanks but again international shipping makes heavy woods a very expensive product to post, I do however, keep a little bit of everything cut to help some of my older buyers that are in Australia and are disabled, most in wheelchairs, they can't afford the woodshops blanks prices nor that have the physical capabilities to be chasing trees/woods as I did and still do to a minimum, I promised them to supply any and all the wood they need for their turnings but even at very low prices, the freight for bowl blanks is still considerable for them so, I have converted many of them into turning pens, some are here on IAP, others do still prefer to turn bowls and other bigger pieces and that is the reason I always gave some in stock but I don't list them, when they need something I show them what I've got unless they already have a specific request that I can accommodate, which is often the case.

Probably if no definitely, the main reason why I stop processing all my logs into large blanks, was due to the fact that, I was using far too much wood too quickly, I myself would go through 1 tonne of green wood in a single week, just rough turning for later, many (dozens) of those rough turned bowls, platters, vessels pieces, are still stored after all these years, I may use one every so often when I need to get a "gift" done in a hurry, apart from that, when I get my "urge" for woodturning bowls, etc. I grab a few blanks, mostly fresh stuff, and for a couple of days, I take them for a spin, as often I show here on IAP.

If you got something in mind my friend, let me know what it is and I will see what I can do..!

Cheers
George

edicehouse

George, have you thought of one of the metal car ports. I know here they run around 700, depending on the size. But with the amount of time you are spending making what you have, would it be cheaper in time and labor to have one put up for you? And then be able to process more instead of working on the building.

robutacion

George, have you thought of one of the metal car ports. I know here they run around 700, depending on the size. But with the amount of time you are spending making what you have, would it be cheaper in time and labor to have one put up for you? And then be able to process more instead of working on the building.

Hi Ed,

Well, a carport type wouldn't help me much, it has to be closed all around because of the bad weather when hit's us.

The other issue is the expense only for an empty shed that up here will run in at least 4G's and that is not counting with cementing the base, I still had to build the shelves and anything else needed and I not only can't afford something like that but, I could not build a proper/structural shed in this place, why...?

Because I rent the place and I can not build anything "structural" I can however, use any or all the existent posts/frames and cover them up with a tin roof and shade-cloth around it, that the LandLord has no problem with nor is illegal as the Council is concern.

As you see, I have "some" restrictions that I have been working with since moved up here nearly 11 years ago, it has worked so far so, and as we say up here "If ain't broken, don't try to fix it...!).:wink::)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom