A Christmas gift surprise and Mr. A game #48...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I just came across this thread and want to say what a kind and generous offer this is! I'm sure everyone is/will be thrilled with their blanks and I've already seen some nice pens made from them. Hope you have a very happy new year Mr. Valentine!

Thank you for your kind words, Seth.

Shame you haven't seen it before, you could have had also some blanks from me to play with.

While I don't recall to have seen you participated in any of my games, contests, etc., you are most welcome to do so, I have been following your work since day one and I'm most impressed with your ability to deal with all the issues of someone of your age and the pen turning fraternity, including the ability to make blanks, buy and sell materials and off-course, make pens.

A young man like yourself is the future in all things including the world of pen making that you embraced so well, your business ability will certainly be a great benefit in your life, just keep yourself "clean" and you will have my utmost continued respect.:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

Thank you for your kind words, Seth.

Shame you haven't seen it before, you could have had also some blanks from me to play with.

While I don't recall to have seen you participated in any of my games, contests, etc., you are most welcome to do so, I have been following your work since day one and I'm most impressed with your ability to deal with all the issues of someone of your age and the pen turning fraternity, including the ability to make blanks, buy and sell materials and off-course, make pens.

A young man like yourself is the future in all things including the world of pen making that you embraced so well, your business ability will certainly be a great benefit in your life, just keep yourself "clean" and you will have my utmost continued respect.:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George
Thank YOU for the kind words. I am simply doing what I love to learn skills and earn money for college. Any credit goes to my dad and mom for giving me the opportunities and to my Father for providing everything I need.

I will keep an eye out for your next game. Thanks again!

I got mine today as well. My wife called to let me know that "THEY" are in...lol. I'm in Austin moving my youngest daughter back up to Norman so that she can finish her graduate work. I'm hoping I'll actually get to see them by this Saturday, maybe Sunday...Monday at the latest, or Tuesday......at least that's when she keeps telling me she'll be ready to move.

jennera

We arrived home yesterday and Rebecca's were waiting for her. She has one glued up and ready to turn today and another one with a nice knot she is trying to decide what she wants to do.

She wants to keep as much of the knot intact so is trying to decide single tube or not. If single tube kit then it needs to be a long one!

All the blanks are beautiful as usual! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

robutacion

Please take note...!

Before is too late and you guys start using the gifted blanks for something else, I have now a contest open for the prettiest blank/pen made with one of the blanks you received.

There are 3 prizes for grabs $150, $100 and $50 all has been explained in here

Let's go...!:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Rolandranch

Before is too late and you guys start using the gifted blanks for something else, I have now a contest open for the prettiest blank/pen made with one of the blanks you received.

Cheers
George

I miss out on the blanks and now you rub it in?? :mad::wink::biggrin: JK

Can't wait to see the finished pens!

robutacion

You're an evil, evil, evil little genius George.:devil:(that's meant to be a compliment). You started this particular game long before this,...and I like the way you think.:biggrin: You wascally wabbit.

I could have had but I did not, in fact, it never crossed my mind until StumpyThumb on post #102 suggested it the other day, it really clicked and made sense after all 40+ people with the same combination blanks is something special, therefore, I run with the idea before it becomes too late...!:biggrin:

See, I never get sick of seeing my blanks all "dressed-up" and all pretty and I'm offering some spending money to 3 members for their efforts, however, for those that don't make the podium, they will have some compensation from the gifted blanks, win, win situation, huh...?:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Cheers
George

I miss out on the blanks and now you rub it in?? :mad::wink::biggrin: JK

Can't wait to see the finished pens!

Sorry Seth, it wasn't meant to be a rub in or off but, you are a quick learner and you know that "if you want to win you have to be in...!":biggrin::wink:

There is always a next time, keep your "periscope" working and you will be alright...!

Cheers
George

alankulwicki7

Received the blanks yesterday. Not only did I receive the package I paid for I received another surprise package from Edicehouse. What a nice gesture, Ed! Thanks for the gift :)

And George, thanks for the great looking blanks. Can't wait to enter your contest :biggrin:

edicehouse

Received the blanks yesterday. Not only did I receive the package I paid for I received another surprise package from Edicehouse. What a nice gesture, Ed! Thanks for the gift :)

And George, thanks for the great looking blanks. Can't wait to enter your contest :biggrin:

Lol, does this mean he gets 2 entries?

alankulwicki7

Lol, does this mean he gets 2 entries?

Jeez, I have a hard enough time finding the time to turn one pen let alone two .

Seriously though. Thanks for the blanks, Ed. It's some beautiful Olive wood!

jennera

George, can you help identifying this blank? Rebecca made two pens but from what we can tell, it is numbered 97 or 01. We were able to identify all the rest but this one has us stumped...since there is no 97 on your list, I am thinking it is 01 for Macrocarpa limb/branch.

Thanks!!
Jennifer

acec3d02851b0357b11f0fbcabce7ff8.jpg
0551894cd7d42b7009595183207c50c3.jpg

Last edited:

robutacion

G'day girls,

That is definitely #97 Brown Mallee root the other number may have been the pack number it came from.

That blank/pen has a big crack and I wonder if it was already in the blank because I would not have sent it if I have seen it.

Let Rebecca know that she can remove the blank/wood out of that pen/kit and I will send her some new blanks to replace it, and sorry about the bad blank...!:frown:

I may even challenge Rebecca a little with a couple of difficult blanks.!:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

jennera

G'day girls,

That is definitely #97 Brown Mallee root the other number may have been the pack number it came from.

That blank/pen has a big crack and I wonder if it was already in the blank because I would not have sent it if I have seen it.

Let Rebecca know that she can remove the blank/wood out of that pen/kit and I will send her some new blanks to replace it, and sorry about the bad blank...!:frown:

I may even challenge Rebecca a little with a couple of difficult blanks.![emoji3]:wink:

Cheers
George
Ok, thanks! We had carefully marked each blank on the list you included then lost the list. I had an old list from an order but didn't see 97. I did not think to look on the website!

A replacement would be appreciated but is not needed! She has been practicing filling in cracks and knots...and working to get 2 pens per blank when she can. She was pleased with these two. She likes how the cracks look though she will keep practicing filling them in.

We placed an order for kits today and when they get in she will try turning the blank with the knot. She can't wait to see how that one turns!

Jennifer

robutacion

Filling up cracks, crevasses, etc., is not a difficult thing to do, having the right materials for the fillings, can be the hardest part.

The fillings I like the most to use are;

*- Coffee powder, used from the cafe's machines is OK, this is particularly handy for blanks that have a medium to dark brown in them.

*- Turquoise crashed, there is now man-made material that is sold in different grades or particles sizes, I like the fine and medium, is nice to be able to see little stones in the bigger fillings. There are many other precious stones on sale for this purpose, also.

*- Gold powder, this is found in most stores that sell resins and pigments

*- Pearlex powder colours.

I use either medium CA or epoxy glue for the mix.

PS: try to make the pics a little smaller, these come out far too big.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Talltim

Blanks arrived a couple of days ago but we were on the road so only saw them yesterday.

They look interesting.

Thanks GEORGE!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My package of blanks was waiting for me at my office when I got back to work today.

The blank selection is awesome and the aroma when I opened the box was heavenly. :)

Thanks, George. This was an amazing gesture of generosity!

robutacion

My package of blanks was waiting for me at my office when I got back to work today.

The blank selection is awesome and the aroma when I opened the box was heavenly. :)

Thanks, George. This was an amazing gesture of generosity!

G'day Edgar,

I think that would be easier to actually ask, who hasn't received their box yet..?

As for the "aroma" when you opened the box, only one blank is the culprit and that is the #59x Australia Cypress aged, the ones I selected for the boxes were all cross cut but all the blanks when I cut them, regardless of angle, the 4 blanks packs are wrapped in clear glad-wrap paper to prevent the smells to dissipated. It's amazing that logs that were cut over 40 years ago and left on the ground half buried in mud, did still produce on the inside of the log, wood that looks as fresh and as the same strong smell as if it has been cut yesterday, the only difference is the rotten wood about 2" deep, sometimes more, all around the logs, you would never guess that inside such logs, the wood was so fresh after all these years, in fact, I created a thread about this very wood and its longevity some years ago, I just have no idea where it is...!:eek::confused:

Anyway, you will enjoy the smells coming from that blank when you turn it...!:biggrin::wink:

Enjoy them all...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

G'day Edgar,

I think that would be easier to actually ask, who hasn't received their box yet..?

Cheers

George

Good evening George! I am still awaiting arrival of my package. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist on my end.

Thanks again for your generosity!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

G'day mate,

As much as I would like to help, there is nothing I can do at the moment, the option used was the "Economy" by Australia Post and it doesn't offer any extra services such as tracking, etc.

Is not too late yet, some parcels always seem to take extra time to arrive even though 41 out of 42 parcels were to the USA and one to Canada and I don't normally have any issues with parcel deliveries to these countries, I always worry about the parcels when I post them and I'm happy when I know they all arrived, so far you are the only one to claim not have received the parcel yet but as I have said, Australia Post says that one would expect 14 working days to such destinations, normally they arrive within that time period, some a lot earlier and some a lot later so, hang in there, it will come...!:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom