Christmas gift #2 - game

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Let's continue on these games and see what come out this time.

I was going to put a not so easy (well I think) question but decided to do a warm up with another blank I created a few days ago.

In the attached images, you have the same Resifill made with the same "mystery" material and cast in slight different interference Peralex colours.

The mystery material are cones that I collected at my last Doctors visit, while waiting for my turn as he (the Doctor) was late, last Wednesday 11/12/13.

At least once every 4 weeks, I park the vehicle just a few yards from this tree that actually belongs to the neighbour/yard next door, I stared at them many dozens of times and wondering how they would look cast into pen blanks.

These cones are no strangers to me, I had many of these same trees in the country where I was born and used many of these cones while still closed to throw at other kids, in throwing wars, they would hurt a little but, they couldn't do much damage unless, directly in an eye.

Anyway, last Wednesday I realise that most cones were open and already on the ground showing some amazing characteristics that I have never noticed before so, I grabbed a bag and picked the fresher ones from this season, small, medium and large size and in the mix, some were old cones from last year that I thought, wouldn't be as good as the fresh ones but, I got a surprised when I turned the 2 samples, and realise that, there is some tiny round dots on these cones that look a lot better on the dark/order pods, in fact, you can see the difference in between, the cones that are still green (while open), the cones from the beginning of this season and the cones from last year so, I know what cones I will pick up next time but, there is one amazing detail on these cones from this year (more visible), that I would love to come up with a way to make them the main focus of the whole cone but, it may be an almost impossible task that I will attempt anyway.

You will see what I'm talking about after we find a winner for this game, showing the cones now, would spoil the whole thing...!

OK so, here is the question;

* What is the name of the tree that produces the cones used in these blanks...????

And here are the pics;

008.JPG 013.JPG 015.JPG 011.JPG 016.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG

The winner get one of these blanks + 3 other wood blanks from my collection, suggestions accepted for them, all free of any charge...!

Good luck:biggrin:

PS: Please be aware that, the name of these "things" are cones and not pods as I described them. I have replaced the word pod through the thread and replaced it with cone however, if I miss any, you will know that I'm referring to a CONE, my apologies...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Clue

Humm, someone is getting close...!

Now, I have already confirmed that these things are cones and not pods so, the tree is obviously a "conifer".

As many other tree species, the same species can have various common names while they only have one scientific name per species so, I can accept the correct common name, the name that is mostly commonly know as, due to its significance to most people. You give me the scientific name, and there will be no confusion...!

This, on its own is an excellent clue/hint but, I give you some more by telling you that, there are 2 most commonly known places where this trees are often seen, and there is also a reason for that but, I don't want to go there, for now...! capish...???

PS: I also wanted you to know that, anyone is welcome to participate, regardless if you have won on previous games or not HOWEVER, I would like to think that, everyone has a chance and that everyone deserve to win so, I will not award the same person twice, within a period of 3 months, after that, all bets are off.

That sounds fair, huh...???
:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

I'm really surprised that no one have gave a good though on my last clues, I'm almost sure, you all have some of these you your towns as they are a "symbol"...!

Oh hell, I may have said too much...!:eek::)

So far, no winners...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

You guys are disappointing me, particularly after my clues so, lets talk a little more and see if someone gets the "bell ringing"...!:wink::biggrin:

OK so, I did mention that these trees are commonly seen close or around 2 types of "areas" they both have building(s) on it and are very connected even though, they can be miles apart.:eek:

In today's craziness about Zombies, these trees do have a lot to do with them, in a way and in many countries, is even known as, "the tree of the ____???":wink::biggrin:

So, what is it...???

Cheers
George

robutacion

No, no, no peoples, it ain't it...!:frown:

OK so, these trees (conifers) are also known as "Italian C_._._._.s._", and the last word missing from my last puzzle is "dead"...!:eek::)

I'm giving it away now so, come on people, what is it...???:biggrin:

George

robutacion

We have a winner...!

BINGO...! finally...!:biggrin:

Now, 2 correct answers from 2 different members, 3 minutes apart...!:eek: that's wicked...!:)

Yes, the correct answer was, Italian /Mediterranean Cypress, the tree of the dead or Cupressus Sempervirens, these are found around Churches and Cemeteries, these were the 2 areas where they are normally found...!

This is what the cones look like, 022.JPG 023.JPG 024.JPG 029.JPG

The inner colours and surfaces of these cones, as shown in detail above, are what I would like to use/enhance in a pen blank but, I'm yet to come up with the idea that will allow me to achieve just that.

Some how, is good that I have 2 identical blanks because, I'm going to award the 2 members that got it right, almost at the same time alankulwicki7 and southernclay so, congratulations to you two, well done...!

Now, which one of you 2 winners, send me a PM with your postal details and any suggestions for the extra 3 x wood blanks that I will send together with one of the Resifills in this game, totally free of charge to you...!

Again, thank you to all the other participants, most appreciated...!

Lets continue on, shall we...???

Cheers
George

Top Bottom